Are people too hard on smokers?

TStormer

Aug 24, 2010
Smokers gonna smoke.

I don't smoke cigarettes, I am already a porky little piggy and from my biology GCSE I know being fat and smoking is basically asking for a heart attack, plus I don't want to stunt my growth any, but no, smokers can smoke as much as they want around me and I'm cool with that. It's their choice. The only limitations I would put myself are ban smoking in areas with children, cos second hand smoke seriously messes with development, but aside from that go for it.

Tensacloud

Jul 4, 2011
I don't hate smoker. I hate smoking and wish people would stop smoking. It isn't because of the health problems smoking radiates. I hate it because it smells bad. But I look at the whole person, and I have seen too much anti- smoker sentiment. But I think it's one of those bandwagon things, like anti-semitism. People don't really feel that way, they just love having a public enemy.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Togs said:
My god its like arguing with a brick wall...
And here I thought we were being kinda civil or something, my bad. Honestly I can't see how you are any different based on your arguments considering how quickly refutable they were. We just have and irreconcilable difference of opinion on the matter it seems- mine selfish, yours... whatever it is it isn't good for anyone's health.

Somniferum said:
Sorry, I don't really want to take this even further off-topic, than it already is, so I will keep this as short as possible. Which might make it very simplistic and blunt, but it is actually very simple:
It's not how I or anyone set their standards. It's how our brain(-chemistry) works. There are drugs that trigger the brains reward centre so heavily, that - objectively - nothing can compete.
(Here I had something that agreed with and praised your analysis, but was really awkwardly worded, so I took it out, but I still do feel that way.) Sure, it's reasonable to think that quantifiablely nothing makes that level of reaction, but that is a temporary and not innately reproducible feeling- like remembering a feeling of accomplishment; it's not quite the same level, but it can produce over and over again. The other problem is the other side of the coin, the side just as ugly as the other is wonderful. Downs after those kinds of highs are immensely under-considered because, going right along with your chemistry argument, your reward and pleasure centers will be fried off their rockers if you hit that kind of level and nothing else will kick in to mitigate that like when the brain itself triggers it. If it comes from a non-induced source, then other parts act up to prevent a fall or cut themselves short to do the same/whatever.
Gah, that's a long way of saying, "Yes, you are right about the objective heights it can help you achieve, but that does no good when that costs you your parachute."
And we are off-topic, idn't we? Well, I started it anyways.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Darknacht said:
Hey if you have to tax something tax cigarettes.
I can't wait until we get a full public ban in the US, or at least in my state. Smoking in public should be illegal for the same reason wandering around throwing draino in people's faces is illegal.
Continually increasing the tax creates it's own problems though.It's estimated that around 25% of the cigarettes smoked here now are ones illegally smuggled in.In Norway which has the highest prices in Europe that figure is estimated at around 40%.Raising the prices has led to the governments losing out on millions in tax revenue with that money going to criminals instead

Fact is in Ireland alcohol abuse and obesity are the biggest health concerns yet no one is calling for massive price increases/bans on alcohol and junk food

Saelune said:
Smokers do not deserve rights (as far as smoking that is) Its harmful to others. Its kinda why drinking and driving is illegal, why assault is illegal, and why murder is illegal.
No offence but comparing smoking to drink driving,assault and murder is downright stupid.

Saelune said:
They want the right to smoke wherever?
No we don't.When the ban was introduced here all the smokers just shrugged and said ok.No one was out protesting for their right to smoke in public buildings.All we want is to be left alone now that we've been forced outdoors

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Blablahb said:
In my experience, too many smokers do not fully realise how annoying their habit is to others. People smoking makes my eyes hurt, and I can smell the stench up to an hour later if someone smoked somewhere indoors.

To name you one example, I've gotten into an altercation with some idiot who was smoking right outside the exit of the hospital, right under a sign saying smoking is prohibited. My wife is asthmatic, and really can't stand smoking, so I exited first and asked him to go smoke elsewhere. He responded by blowing smoke right in my face, and got agressive almost instantly, and I ended up removing him by force in an armlock, but I so much wanted to just rough that idiot up properly for being such a jerk.

And unfortunately, there's too many militant smokers out there like him. It gives the group as a whole a bad name.
Why are you judging people based on one a-hole? He's probably a dick in all aspects of life if he's smoking right next to a hospital.

Smoking is just like any other habit, everyone has them. It's just a preference of choice as to which ones you take up. People have been smoking for thousands of years in a variety of ways. Some cultures had it has a ritual to share amongst friends, that's where we get the phrase "smoking the peace pipe".

For me my smoke of choice is Hooka. Delicious flavored tobacco smoked out and shared with my best friends. We used to set it up on our porch in college during nice nights and just see who showed up, always a good time.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
Have you ever stood next to some smoker and had to struggle to breath as the smoke lofted in your face? Have you ever had an asthma attack because of someone smoking?

You can say a person has a right to smoke, and they do, they do not have the fucking right to impair my ability to breath. Your rights extend to the point where they begin to cause physical harm to another person.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
As much as I'm against it, I'm not going to judge someone for smoking.

I'm friends with people who smoke or have smoked, and I wouldn't be outright opposed to a relationship with someone who smokes, especially they are more of the social or occasional smoker type. It's definitely something that I don't find appealing, but everybody has flaws that I look past or embrace if I like the person enough.

Dec 27, 2010
Fanta Grape said:
But to make it more fair, alcohol. Many people drink a little every so often, as do smokers, but one is more socially acceptable than the other.
And at the same time alcohol doesn't smell and hasn't the risk of giving non-drinkers cancer. Sorry, it's just that that argument seems a little week.
But I don't think smokers should be discriminated against. It seems like a lot of people just dislike people who do things that aren't "logical".

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Of course smoking's a deal breaker. Anybody who openly harms herself in such a way, and me in the processs, wouldn't make a good partner for me.

And I don't want to date an addict, of any kind.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
I was walking back from The Flaming Lips concert with one of my good friends and he decided to light up a cigarette, which I have no problem with, but there was this one self-righteous ***** of a lady who made her opinion of smoking quite clear. Mind you people who are fans of The Flaming Lips are from what I've experienced are usually accepting peeple and follow a live and let live motto. This lady got up on her high horse doing the usual saying smoking is bad for you schtick. My friend asked her "What's your problem?" and she responded by saying "My problem is that you're killing me!". I thought of it as quite a silly thing for her to say because there was plenty of smoke free sidewalk for her to walk on that didn't have my friend smoking.

If people want to smoke thats perfectly fine with me and unless you're standing right next to a group of smokers for long periods of time I highly doubt you'll get cancer from it. Especially if all you did was breathe in a little smoke from passing by a smoker on the sidewalk. Seeing as outside is the only place that anyone who wants to smoke can smoke any more its going to happen. I mean all the non-smokers forced the smokers out onto the sidewalk I think they should be able to deal with the occassional second hand smoke that comes from it. If you don't want to breathe it in don't walk near a smoker its that simple.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Roroshi14 said:
It's funny, it is more of a shallow hate. At least for me, everyone I know hates smokers, I mean they really despise them, and yet I smoke and they love me. Hell if my pass girlfriends actually meant that they would never date a smoker then I would never had a girlfriend.

It's a stupid thing to base whether you will like someone.
sure, but you've got to have standards one way or another. You know how a lot of people won't date somebody who's not hygenic?

Well, smoking sure as hell isn't hygenic.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I don't care if people smoke. Let 'em. Just puff in the other direction if you're that close to me.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
If they would quit blowing their smelly poison all over the place I wouldn't care as much. But people feel the need to smoke 2 feet from the door of a building so I get a mouthful every time I walk in or out of there. Smoke your own cigarettes! I don't want any!

Vorpalrabbit

Apr 14, 2009
As a smoker, I've never got the 'second hand smoke is more dangerous than first hand smoke' argument. Yes, it's probably bad for you, but how can it get worse after being filtered through my own lungs?

That being said, if I do feel the need to have a cigarette and I'm around non-smokers, I do my best to one, stand a bit further away from them and two; blow the smoke away from where they are standing. It's mostly a common courtesy thing.

I've always gotten so much more shit from non-smokers about it than any of my other vices, which is especially weird, considering I've seen my non-smoking friends binge drink and black out before doing unspeakable things to another person.

I'll take charred lung over cirrhosis and the risk of an STD any day of the week.

CheshirePhoenix

Sep 25, 2008
What amuses the hell out of me are the potheads that have problems with cigarette smokers, but then go light up a joint. Or are taking a nice big bong hit and then complaining about smoking.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Because it's stupid.

Beyond that, it's also unattractive, and causes them to smell foul.

Not befriending someone who is a smoker seems ridiculous. As long as they don't smoke while I'm there (inside, outside is ok as long as they maintain distance so I don't have to smell that shit and choke).

However, for a girlfriend, yeah, it's a dealbreaker.

blind_dead_mcjones said:
consider that the exhaust fumes from cars and burnt petrol is at least 10 times as toxic/poisonous/damaging to you than 2nd hand smoke, those that live in the city are effectively surrounded by such fumes and breathing them in on near constant basis, and there are far more car users around then there are smokers

to which i ask, why are there never any demonisation about the use of all internal combustion engines (cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles, lawn mowers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, portable generators, etc) in public areas despite the apparent increased health danger compared to standing too close to a smoker? and yet smokers are treated like lepers? just a thought.
Well, there is.

Anyway, the reason is likely down to the fact that engines have a purpose. They power things. Travel is necessary, smoking isn't.