Are Pokemon games getting too complex?

Ryuzaki001

Nov 10, 2009
A couple of days ago, I discovered my old Game Boy Pocket with Pokemon Blue Version still inside. I became filled with nostalgia and really wanted to start the game over and play through the original. Much to my dismay, I couldn't get the darn thing to work, but I was still filled with the urge to play the original Pokemon, but since I didn't have it available, I turned to the next best thing, my Leaf Green version for the GBA. I am now about 30 hours in and instead of feeling good about my Pokemon raising skills, I and nervous that i missed something vital that could make my pokemon even better. Things like Effort Values (EVs) and waiting to let my Bulbasaur evolve just in case he learns some move that a Venusaur doesn't. Things like these that were never in the originals and really don't seem to add much but stress and worry. I was just wondering what the general idea is. Is it just me or is the simple nature of Red and Blue versions missed?

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Actually, some Pokemon couldn't learn certain moves after they evolved. Perfect example, Raichu. If you evolved your Pikachu early on, the Raichu wouldn't be able to learn Pikachu's speed-based moves like Quick Attack and Agility.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I never paid much attention to it back then, I don't pay a whole lot of attention now. The newer versions of the game certain have a helluva lot more options, which can get confusing, but I wouldn't imagine they'd be absolutely necessary to play (non-competitively, at least). The complexity is nice for those who are into it, so its biggest problem seems to be distracting those who would otherwise not care.

...says the man who's running a very extensive breeding program in Dragon Warrior Monsters. >_>

Mookie_Magnus said:
Actually, some Pokemon couldn't learn certain moves after they evolved. Perfect example, Raichu. If you evolved your Pikachu early on, the Raichu wouldn't be able to learn Pikachu's speed-based moves like Quick Attack and Agility.
The stone-based evolutions, yes (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Gloom, etc.). Stopped move learning altogether, for everyone but the Eevee variations.

TRACEACE

Nov 19, 2009
I don't think it getting a little more complicated is a bad thing. I think the game is easy enough for younger players to play (for the most part, I don't even think of things like nature and the like and I get through the game just fine. I only start worrying about that when I do multiplayer, but you'd assume little kids are battling little kids, so I figure they're on a level playing field anyway) but with a system that's complex enough for older players who like the game for nostalgic reasons (like myself, lol) to enjoy. If they weren't upgrading the system, it really WOULD be the same game over and over again.

All Seeing Abra

Dec 1, 2009
I got the same feeling when I was playing through Pearl again. I kept thinking about EVs and natures when going through the game, and it kind of ruins the experiance of it for me because sometimes I just want to play it for fun, but now that I know about competitive battling and what I could be doing to make a better team, my subconscious won't let me enjoy it as much.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Furburt said:
Yes. They should have stopped at gold and silver.
Fixed for you.

OT: Too many pokemon nowadays. Whenever I see my step siblings playing diamond and pearl on their DS's(DSi?) I cringe when they start talking about how cool the pokemon are.

Sad times we live in.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
gigastrike said:
It's not that bad, but I do wish that they'd actually tell you about effort points.
Well, wouldn't that be a handy idea!?

Anyway, OP, I understand your dismay, as I too attempt to find perfectionist and efficient ways of development in any RPG, Pokemon games included. And it feels bad when I remember going through Blue with maybe 1-2 pokemon, and nowadays I would want to, say, start building my 'set' before any of them are over level 20, look up a bunch of things about who my special tank should be, and all sorts of stuff like that.

Sorta makes it less enjoyable, but I think it sort of just comes with how I personally developed over the years as such a fanatic.

Rapture00

Dec 10, 2009
I remember the good ol' Blue Red And Yellow. Those were my games. I stopped at Gold and Silver. I just didn't to go beyond my orignal 151 pokemon

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
They're only as complex as you're willing to make them, in my opinion. Yes, there are a lot of different factors that play into Pokemon growth these days, and if you're willing to sit down and invest the time, you can fine-tune your team into an unstoppable, maxed out stat strike force.

On the other hand, you can hand the game over to your cousin, explain type advantages in the most basic of paper-scissors-rock terms (Fire beats Grass/Bug, but loses to Water etc, etc) and he'll still be able to beat the game.

I guess it comes down to whether you're playing just for fun, or playing competitively. In my case, it's a matter of going with the flow. I haven't played Pokemon game from start to finish since Pokemon Gold, but since the rerelease is coming in 2010, I figured I'd give Platinum a try to get back into the groove. It's pretty different than Gold, yeah, but in a lot of ways, it's exactly the same, too.

hidden walls

Jul 10, 2009
It depends how your going to play

if you just want to beat the story line you can basicly just play it void of any game mechanics

if you want to beat people online you need to know exacly what EV's and IV's what pokemon belongs to which tier the banned competivly ones etc etc

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
It is a bit more complicated, but the newer ones are still straight forward. Type x is strong against type y but weak against type z, the traditional pokemon formula is still there, but I lost interest a long while ago.

hvetekjek

Dec 14, 2009
I agree, to an extent. EVs and things like that are great when battling competitively online, as they can be controlled and changed at the player's whim, and they can really transform the dynamics of the game. But really, who can be bothered EV training their Pokemon manually? It's a bit excessive in the actual handheld games themselves.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
I only played Blue. It's nice to know the games have evolved with their players.

Now can we stop the damn anime already? It's gone on long enough!

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
My favourite thing about platinum (which I got recently and have somehow managed to clock about 40 hours ... probably because I have no life) is that you can get umbreon again WITHOUT trading. My biggest nit-pick with the newest games is the 'combo-type starters', when I pick a water-type starter I WANT IT TO STAY WATER-TYPE, but then they go adding in new types for no reason (scyther to scizzor makes sense, because you actually evolve it with a steel-type-ifier, but when you evolve a penguin and it becomes part robot? that is just fudged).

So yes, they have messed up these games, but instead of EV's and other such nonsense which I ignore, they go messing with the starter pokemon, and that, good sir, is too far!!!

... It seems I got a bit side-tracked ... *cough cough* ... well then, I'll just go now *runs away quickly before bursting into tears at the lost love that is 'logical type additions'*

HE Shaunshaun

Nov 17, 2009
i think after ruby/sapphire the games should've stopped. this is purely because they added too many new pokemon and make getting/training them way too complex.

i was once a huge pokemon fan but when i got pearl i finished it, then didnt even bother attempting to catch the rest of the pokemon, it was just annoying. i have all the pokemon in all previous games but this one was just too much.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
The complexity wouldn't be so bad if they didn't take you by the hand to show it all to you. Even though Red and Blue didn't tell what your moves did, what your items did, what the item type was, etc., at least you could jump right into the game. In Soul Silver, you're forced to take the old guy's tour, you're forced to be shown how to catch pokemon, you're forced to learn how to headbutt... It's just a chore, at this point.

And in case you're wondering, I downloaded the Japanese ROM online. It permanently crashed after I got the 4th badge.