Are there any good western films?

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
Now ok ever since i was a young lad i have always really dislike westerns, i found that they where pretty much the same, the shooting scenes felt unbelievable fake and then it always seemed to inevitably staring john Wayne which today is the reason I don?t watch a film if it says john wayne is in it. Westerns to me are incredibly boring, at first i thought it was the setting but having loved red dead redemption and back to the future part 3, ok not a very good example.
I feel the responsibility to give westerns a second chance but i have the problem, which is I have no idea what to watch, seeing as all my knowledge equates to a few john Wayne films.
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1006/enough-of-john-wayne-john-wayne-toc-demotivational-poster-1276355880.jpg

Anyway can you guy suggest any good westerns before i completely burn this topic from my head.

Oh yeah john wayne cant be in it.

Edit: Thanks everyone for your suggestion i will go find these film, see if i can into westerns.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Gammayun said:
Anyway can you guy suggest any good westerns before i completely burn this topic from my head.

Oh yeah john wayne cant be in it.
Try Pale rider.
Then, on the third day, turn right near Hanged Men Tree and watch Per qualche dollaro in più (For a Few Dollars More).

Look to the west and, Hombre, you'll see C'era una volta il West (Once Upon a Time in the West)

It's very weird combination of Western, SF, comedy and Steampunk, but The Adventures of Brisco County holds a special place in my heart.

See Spot Run

Nov 4, 2011
The man with no name trilogy:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Great films, all three of them. First one's a remake of Yojimbo.

You might also look at The Magnificent Seven (remake of The Seven Samurai)

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Anything directed by Sergio Leone and/or starring Clint Eastwood is a good bet.
The Man With No Name trilogy(Fist Full of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly) are all fantastic classics (The first is heavily based on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo) and I strongly recommend them.
True Grit it another. It was originally a novel from the sixties that was adapted to film starring John Wayne. While I haven't seen it, I do know that it follows a more traditional cowboy adventure film, rather than a deep look at the emotions driving revenge in a fourteen year-old girl. The 2010 film follows more closely to the book, however, and is one of my favorite films, as well as being made by the Coenn Brothers.
If you want something much darker, watch Unforgiven, which follows the story of William Munny, a retired gunslinger who gets back in the saddle for one last job, and realizes just how wrong things can go. It also has Clint Eastwood in it.
As you said, Red Dead Redemption is excellent, and along with True Grit, it's one of the best westerns of late.

I hope this helps. I'm a huge fan of the genre myself.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Per qualche dollaro in più (For a Few Dollars More).
I totally agree good sir. Personally I think for a few dollars more is the best of the Trilogy, with The Good/Bad/Ugly coming a close second

The Spagetti Westerns are completely different from John Wayne style Westerns, (they take place in Mexico for a start.) much grittier and morally grey.

Gammayun said:
loved...back to the future part 3
Did you know that Back to the Future Part 3 was based off of the Spagetti Westerns, especially A fistful of dollars (the bad guy is actually watching 'Fistful' on the TV when M.J. Fox confronts him in the hot tub.) So check it out.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I've heard about a movie called true grit that was made a couple of decades ago. Also it has a recent remake that is considered just as good...but it's much darker.

Also while I'm at it, there was a Star Trek TNG episode that dealt with Worf and Troy getting stuck in a western on the holo deck and due to a malfunction all of the criminals are copies of data, with all of his speed and strength. "A Fist full of Datas" Also the ending...oh God I don't want to spoil it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
There was one with Ed Harris and Vigo Mortensen called Appaloosa. That was a really good, old fashioned western.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Let's see, I think the 5 best westerns are:

Tombstone
Silverado
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Honorable Mentions:
Deadwood (HBO series)
Django
3:10 to Yuma
Quick and the Dead
Aaaaaapple-LOO-sa!

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Salad Is Murder said:

Tombstone
Silverado
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Tombstone.So good you named it twice huh?It is a pretty decent movie though

Also worth watching

3:10 to Yuma (the 2007 remake.Haven't seen the original)
True Grit (the 2010 remake.Better than the original in my opinion)

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
To name one that hasn't been mentioned yet, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is classic John Wayne, and is a bit grey-er than his usual stuff.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
As others have said, the Dollars trilogy is a must watch.

Beyond that, Once upon a Time in the West is one of the greatest films in any genre. Also reccomended is Unforgiven. Beyond those, True Grit, High Plains Drifter, 3:10 to Yuma and you should also read the book Blood Meridian.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
For more modern time Westerns I'll say No Country for Old Men, El Mariachi, Desperado, Once upon a Time in Mexico.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. I can't recommend this film more, one of my all time favourites - And definitely my favourite western. It has a jaw-droppingly fantastic soundtrack to boot.

Everything about it fantastic.

Shotgunbunny

Jun 2, 2006
Skimming down this thread, I didn't notice any Lonesome Dove!
I almost put it away the first time I tried it, it takes a bit to become epic but it's a really great mini-series, IMO.

Don't forget Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only one I can think of is "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" and no it's not a typo.
Here's the trailer
Yes it is a westen despite being a Korean film. By all means I haven't see it but I want to and from what I've read it got good reviews.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Gammayun said:
I'm not a big fan of westerns either, but I know Moviebob did a list a while back of the quintessential Western movies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/8088-Red-Dead-Revival.2] for people who are are curious about them. On page two he says if there's any one film you should take from the list, it's The Searchers with John Wayne. Have a look at the rest, though. Have fun~

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
MetalDooley said:
Salad Is Murder said:

Tombstone
Silverado
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Tombstone.So good you named it twice huh?It is a pretty decent movie though

Also worth watching

3:10 to Yuma (the 2007 remake.Haven't seen the original)
True Grit (the 2010 remake.Better than the original in my opinion)
I would follow those mustaches to hell and back.

Also, True Grit and 3:10's remakes are better than their originals.