Are we really expecting cyberpunk to be better than Deus Ex?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Chimpzy said:
Squilookle said:
Perhaps because -oh I dunno- in the 18 years since it's release nothing has delivered an overall package that has topped it, including its own sequels?

Perhaps because games made today are made with the shareholders' interests first and foremost, rather than the customers and designer's vision like in the 90s/early 00s?

Perhaps because in general (I know CDPR are an exception to this) modern games are released half baked and fixed never?

Perhaps because the very nature of a Deus Ex style game is incredibly difficult to construct, and developers are more limited than ever in what can and can't be portrayed?

Honestly there are loads of reasons why we generally expect modern releases to pale in comparison to their older, more feature rich ancestors. Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield V, Serious Sam, Tomb Raider, etc etc.

I certainly hope Cyberpunk can live up to or surpass Deus Ex. But make no mistake, the onus is on Cyberpunk to break the mold of all the other failed attempts at meeting that bar, not on Deus Ex to simply be untouchable or otherwise.
I know that and I for the most part agree. It's just that there is something annoying about how the OPs question is phrased. As if the idea that something can surpass Deus Ex is silly. It's too defeatist for my tastes. Fuck yes, we should be expecting for games to get better.
Oh that's just B-Cell. He always phrases his beliefs as statements barely disguised as questions. It's kind of like his thing.

Jan 19, 2016
B-Cell, why do you always ask us to predict the future? No-one knows if it will be better/same/worse than Deus Ex. We'll find out when it releases. All we can know for sure is that it will definitely look and sound better than Deus Ex.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Phoenixmgs said:
Well, in that case, maybe try different games, because this one is not for you. Because plenty of people love Witcher 3, and all the other Witcher games, and if Cyberpunk is anything like those games, it'll be a beloved classic, no matter what you think of it. Just because you dislike a game doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just because you dislike mechanics doesn't make them bad mechanics. You disliking playing the game doesn't mean others don't like playing the game.

Kinda funny that you'd bring Arkane Studio into this. I find Prey to be a barely passable FPS, and the level Design in Dishonored 2 made a really sharp turn for the worse compared to 1. I don't know why anyone would want them to take on game such as Cyberpunk, they have absolutely zero experience with it.