Are You a Programmer?

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
i just was wondering how many programmers there are here in the Escapist.
do you make programs?
how often do you write programs?
do you do it professionally, or as a hobby?
would you say you are skilled at it?
what programming language(s) do u know/use?

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
I'm Jackpot, and I'm a second year games programming student.

I'm cutting my teeth.

I use and know C++, windows programming, Direct X programming (i consider them to be extensions of C++), and unrealscript.
I'm hoping to learn python and XML soon. Also how to use the HGE API.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I am going to ITT-Tech for Web Development so I'm learning many different languages. By the way, XML is easy to learn and use, you basically make your own tags.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
I used to program Unix object oriented databases using Elvis. That doesn't make me much of a programmer though. I do some work with flash these days, but I am still in the learning phase more than anything.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I'm learning... through school, I've learned some really pathetic stuff. Though, later on in the year, I'll be getting into Visual Basic (damn school won't do C).

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I learned a bit of VB at school, but due to the stupidest, most unqualified teacher ever, we didn't learn much. By the end of it, we all knew more about the language than her though.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
i am an amutuar programmer,
i learned Scheme last semester in computer science and loved it,
i plan to learn Actionscript 3.0 and Java within a year from now
i hope to eventually go to college for computer programming, and then get a career making programs,

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Hmm... keep meaning to set some time aside to do it; have got the basics of Python sorted, and had a flick through the first chapter of Knuth's Art of Computer Programming, but that kind of scared me off...

Yargh

May 8, 2008
i can make stupid .bat files and put it on my school computer labeling it GTA or something and having stupid people click it : >.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
The last time I wrote real code it was in Fortran. Once upon a time I guess I could've called myself a programmer, but that was a decade or so ago... it's all gone now.

-- Steve

lionusprime

Nov 20, 2007
Computer Science graduate, did Java for three years and C++ for one. Currently getting my head around the DirectX SDK and the MFC library for Windows programming, which incidentally, I hate.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
tthor said:
i am an amutuar programmer,
i learned Scheme last semester in computer science and loved it,
i plan to learn Actionscript 3.0 and Java within a year from now
i hope to eventually go to college for computer programming, and then get a career making programs,
You've got my respect, sir... it is a tough road. I'm an amateur programmer. I use it mainly for solving problems in applied mathematics (my field of study). I use C++, Java, Perl, and Matlab. I kind of want to pick up Python, but I'm scared of its dependence on whitespace.

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
Yeap, i am. I've worked with several languages, but as of the latest years i'm wasting my talent working on industrial robotics, programming in PTSC and ZX assembly.

And oh boy, does it suck.

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
Just finishing my second year in computer science. I'm good with Java and not so good with C++. I also know some SQL.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
I have a rough understanding of the C, Basic, and Labview code languages through my school's robotics program but that's about it. I have wanted to branch out into Python and see what all the fuss is about though.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I learned enough java to write some plug-ins for Sillysoft Games (check out my stuff there if you like), but now I'm learning Flash and going into casual game design.

Irrok the Wide

Feb 12, 2008
I know a little C++. I and write and implement classes, for instance I can make my own string class. And I've written some programs to keep track of the games and movies I own. Like, I can run the program I made and type in the genre I'm in the mood for, and have it show me a list of results and some relevent info.

werepossum

Sep 12, 2007
I still do a bit of AutoLISP programming now and then. I used to be reasonably fluent in Fortran, but haven't touched it for probably ten years.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I am a C++/C# programmer. I use DirectX 9.0c managed at work, where I make educational software. I make games for fun at home using allegro or OpenGL. I participate in game making competitions at http://allegro.cc and http://tigsource.com . Everything I feel like showing people is posted for downloading at http://monkeydev.com .