Are you actually good at gaming?

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
I beat I Wanna be the Guy on normal mode once. That alone should quallify me as being "good at gaming".
Edit: I also beat the secret area in Twilight Princess, the first Pit of 100 Trials in Super Paper Mario, the Hag 1 in Banjo Tooie, Boss Battles on Intense in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, all the arena battles in Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and Up your Arsenal on both the normal and New Game Plus difficulties and got all the power cells in Jak and Daxter.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
I don't think that anyone is actually good at games. You have good days then bad days. I can kill people in MW2/Blops but then another day I get so much semtex stuck on me, i look like the most dangerous christmas tree ever. Same goes for any game I've played really. Completed "Human Revolution" today but yesterday, I kept trying to sneak by 12 guards and got spotted each god damn time. Tried that same bit today and passed it no problem. Finally managed to beat MW2 on Veteran recently which was very satisfying.

I will share a useful bit of info though. If you're trying to get past a REALLY god-damn hard bit in a game, do it after you've had a massive crap. You won't believe how much it helps.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
There are some genres I'm consistently good at, there are some I'm consistently bad at, and there are some where it really, really depends on the game itself.

I'm TERRIBLE at RTS games. I can be good at macro or good at micro, but pursuing multiple goals is really hard for me. Also, I have a really bad tendency to get into a sunk cost mindset and avoid changing up my strategy.

I'm pretty good at fighting games, adventure games (who isn't), and

I'm very good at almost every RPG I've ever played.

As for shooters, it really depends on the game. I can regularly lead my team in TF2 and I'm pretty good at essentially all the classes (though I almost never play pyro). I do at least decently in most modern-combat-style shooters (though I don't play them enough to really get good, my baseline skill isn't bad at all). But I am embarassingly bad at a lot of other shooters and, while I love playing shooter campaigns on really high difficulty, it typically involves a horrendous amount of save scumming. This is somehow especially true of FPSRPGs which is unfortunately probably my favourite subgenre.

My problem is that I like all of these genres, even the ones I'm really bad at. Luckily, a lot of them are single-player, but it's frustrating that I can't really play RTS games with my friends (most of whom are unnaturally talented at the genre).

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
yes I am, any game any genre except turn based strategy it kills me to wait until next turn when my army is about to crush my opponents...
and online shooters it takes me a while to learn how to play by unofficial rules (ks,spawn kills and so on).

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I'm probably above average at guitar hero. I've 5*'d all the songs in Guitar hero 3 and 5.

Wyvulent

Jun 4, 2010
I would err, like to think so. During my long long time on WoW i frequently got the top ranks on WoL despite never being in the best guild/having the best gear (#1 ranks happened usually on fights with movement, people suck at moving apparently.)
FPS's im generally good at, can do campaigns on the hardest setting easy enough, and hold my own in multiplayer, less so in TF2 though, i feel i still have much to learn in that.
Racing, RPG's, Shmups, etc all good at, and i would hope so and all, been gaming pretty much all my life. :D
RTS's and MOBA's are the two genres i suck at though(fuck starcraft), but i dont care, i dont enjoy them anyway so im not willing to learn, maybe DOTA2 will change that but im not sure. Valve or not im sure the community will put me off it within a matter of minutes.

J.J

Aug 24, 2009
Zeekar said:
J.J said:
Don't let me touch an RTS. I will lose, you will lose, the company who made the game will also lose. I'm just that terribad.
That means you lost so hard that you actually won. That's still a win.

Anyone can be a winner if your definition of victory is loose enough.
You're like the Charlie Sheen of pep-talk: Winning, when not winning.

I like it! :D

DrStupid87 said:
I don't think that anyone is actually good at games. You have good days then bad days. I can kill people in MW2/Blops but then another day I get so much semtex stuck on me, i look like the most dangerous christmas tree ever. Same goes for any game I've played really. Completed "Human Revolution" today but yesterday, I kept trying to sneak by 12 guards and got spotted each god damn time. Tried that same bit today and passed it no problem. Finally managed to beat MW2 on Veteran recently which was very satisfying.

I will share a useful bit of info though. If you're trying to get past a REALLY god-damn hard bit in a game, do it after you've had a massive crap. You won't believe how much it helps.
Yes, everyone has their good days and bad days. On the contrary, are your bad days good enough to still beat a majority of people you come across? That'd how I'd gauge being "good", or at least definitely above average.

Also, I will attest to the second paragraph: That is truth.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I see it this way. I CAN win matches online. I get LOADS of kills... on the other hand my defence is Terrible. I usually get to 25 kills in a match easy but I end with an equal 25 deaths.

Arctarus'sCookie

May 9, 2011
I do best on console games. Don't know why, probably the controllers. Shooters, racings, puzzles; all above average "skill". On PC games especially shooters I just have problems aiming, sometimes problems with the connection or laptop (can never tell which), and sometimes just a bad mousepad. As for a game like Halo on Legendary or something I can pass through it with some reasonable difficulty if I play co-op with my friend with matching skill as me. Not sure if Co-op counts though.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Depends on the game. I'm really not that good at first person shooters, but I'm getting better, and getting more practice. RPGs I've learned how to play without single deaths, carefully managing my restoratives and balancing play with grind. Sandboxes I've learned all the tricks for, know when to run, when to hide, and when to blow things up. Rapid-paced free-for-alls have come under my belt, mastering things like Bit Trip Beat and Super Stardust. Used to be pretty decent with Guitar Hero on Hard, but got bored with the games before moving on to expert. Even some of the harder retro titles have fallen to me, though that's usually a matter of trial and error.

So...I'm as good as some, but probably not "one of those guys". I know a few tricks, and platformers bend to my whim, but I'm not one of the flawless guys that play it several times a month, learning the timing to everything, or trying to top leaderboards.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I've finished almost every game ive played in the last 5 years on the hardest setting and i have quite a few top 100 leaderboard scores on a number of games. Most games last less than a day and i've pretty much stopped buying games and just rent them now for that reason.

My achilles heel though is sports and simulation games because they are even more boring than the real thing...

FurinKazanNZ

Dec 30, 2009
I'm decent at pretty much every game I play after a couple of "rounds" or whatever, except for racing games.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
I am very Strategic in FPS and RTS games. Thus very creative and usually win all the time from my created Strategies with team mates and Lone Wolf. I engineer Victory IRL. I make your Holodeck fantasies come to life. Better get your katana out for Holodeck Fruit Ninja!

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
When it comes to shooters, I'm good. I can hold my own and appear towards the top of the board most the time. But if its any other type of game online, I'm bad. Play ime in a racing, rts or sport game and I bet you'll win.