Are you American or are you.......

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm Australian, don't tend to subdivide.

Oceania is very diverse, so I don't consider that to be a collective identity. I could admit to being part of "Australia and New Zealand", but that's only two nations.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I'm an Owassoian which is a territory in of the Tulsan people's county which is ruled by the Oklahomians which is a subclass of American which also making me an Earthling.

Only reason to name state is either to give the person you're talking to an idea of your environment or to show pride in your college sports teams, usually in an attempt to troll.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
It really seems like the whole idea of state identities is something you only really see in the US and UK. When I'm somewhere in the US, I'm in Maryland or Florida or Texas or Michigan. When I'm in Germany I'm just... in Germany. There's a little bit of ribbing between major cities, but it's not "I'm in Brandenburg" or "I'm in Bavaria" you're just in Germany.

Generally, when I talk to people outside the country, I just say I'm from the US, but I tend to think of myself as a Michigan resident.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
rokkolpo said:
A question for the American's amongst us, and others if you want.

Do you see your state as a country where you come from, or do you just count yourself plain American?

I'm from The Netherlands and always identify myself that way. (not European)
Thanks for not saying Holland.

Nov 12, 2010
I am from Texas and consider myself American first.Sure I may not agree with some people about America,but I have guns and people who obey the law in New York don't.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I call myself Swedish. Though I do sometimes explain that I originaly came from Mexico.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
I always say I'm a Canadian when I'm outside of Canada and a Montrealer in Canada. I don't have to say Quebec because really Montreal is one of the 6-7 cities everyone know.s

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
fordneagles said:
Slightly different kettle of fish for me as I'm Australian and we're not that big a country, so I just call myself Australian.
Though that's true, New South wales has 3 times the population of old Wales (and something like 40 times the landmass), and the Welsh are seen as being a distinct entity.

RAMBO22

Jul 7, 2009
I'm an American. I live in Wisconsin, but all that truly means is that I live in a department of the nation of the United States that at one time or another, a couple wealthy white men decided to demarcate a large chunk of land along certain boundaries and name that chunk of land "Wisconsin".

However, I know some of my American counterparts inhabiting the American 'South' would have a different opinion on this question...Particularly (cough!) Texas.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
If I am talking to people in the United States, I'm Texan. Abroad, I'm American.

If talking to other Texans, I'm an Austinite. If talking to other Austinites, I'm from the University. If talking to other students, I'm from San Jacinto.

That's about as specific as I get.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Californian in the states. Though most of the people I know (who live in Cali.) like to make a point of saying if they are from Northern , Southern, or Mid-California when asked where they are from.

And just plain American outside of the states. :)

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I think of myself as a "Bostonian-American". In the event that the republic ever came apart at the seams, my first and truest loyalty is to New England, not to the United States as a whole, and I tend to regard anyone not from there, whether they're from America or Timbuktu, as having a certain "otherness" to them.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I'm from Michigan if I'm in the States but just an American if I travel anywhere else

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
DesiPrinceX09 said:
Well I was born In Africa and then moved here in 2003, so I am technically an African American (unlike 90% of the black folks that live here) and boy does it piss people off when I say but it doesn't make it any less true; gotta love political correctness
Can I just say, you are awesome. :)

Seems a bit pretentious to be a 4th or 5 generation American claiming to be from a whole continent that is more politically and culturally divided than all 50 states combined. My hat off to you for taking a swing at that shitty moniker.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
When I talk to people that live in 'Merica. I'm from Misoorah. When I travel abroad, I'm from the states.

Nov 12, 2010
RAMBO22 said:
I'm an American. I live in Wisconsin, but all that truly means is that I live in a department of the nation of the United States that at one time or another, a couple wealthy white men decided to demarcate a large chunk of land along certain boundaries and name that chunk of land "Wisconsin".

However, I know some of my American counterparts inhabiting the American 'South' would have a different opinion on this question...Particularly (cough!) Texas.
You called?