"ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" Most Retarded Endings. Spoilers (duh)

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
Already brought up. Which is a good thing. Because it was retarded. I honestly thought it was gonna be a 24 episode season, then it just ends with the blue-balling of a lifetime.
It is going to be 24 episodes; the next 12 are airing next year, I believe in January.

Milten

Oct 4, 2013
Have to go with Dollhouse. Loved that show, but the ending is just stupid. Can't really blame them as they had to improvise, due to being cancelled (Joss Whedon, duh), but it's still retarded.

They had a pretty intruiguing character with Boyd, who seemed like the most honorable man on the show, but for some reason still worked for the Dollhouse. But instead of giving him a background he just gets turned into the crazy ubervillain at the last minute, who was secretly behind everything all the time. And it doesn't make the least bit of sense, no foreshadowing at all, it's clear they just wanted the show to end on a twist.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Which ending? The one with shinji standing on a Globe being congratulated by everyone because he finally developed a sense of self esteem(and who cares about everything else going on, right? RIGHT?)? Or EoE where everyone on earth gets merged into a single consciousness while all the bodies turn into LCL?

CatLafitte

Aug 29, 2014
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I don't even... want to go into why. o_O

The last episode of Firefly also constitutes, as it had an unnecessarily jarring shift of tone... for no reason.
ACtually, there were supposed to be a second season, which is why they ended with a cliffhanger. And don't forget we got a movie instead, that solves everything quite nicely.

Though what about the show Angel? "You take the ten thousand demons that side, I'll take the dragon. I've always wanted to fight one." The end. WTF?

Not to mention Dallas, season nine. The show ran from 1978 to 1991 (spanning 14 seasons), then returned in 2012 for a final three season. So this isn't technically the finale, but still. To spoil quite a bit, season nine was all dream. Literally, the entire season was a dream. Top that, if you can. Lol.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would also like to draw special attention to; The Core. That movie hurt my brain. Using nukes to restart Earth's core? I... ugh, I'm having a rage stroke again.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
My two submissions for this thread have already been said: Dexter and BSG.

BSG I was OK with (I still LOVE to rant about it) because I had been hating the show since the 3rd season, and the only reason I was continuing to watch it was because I had loaded the episodes onto my PSP and I was watching them during lunch breaks. I had hoped they would turn around the show by the end, but they just forced it into a spectacular nosedive instead. I still can't believe people liked that show.

Dexter just makes me sad. The ending was so horrible that it retroactively soured the whole show for me. They wanted so bad to make a twist ending that blew our minds, but instead it was just dumb. Turning the last episode into an alien invasion movie probably would have turned out better.

Ending at the same time as Dexter was Breaking Bad. That was a great example of how you end a show. Sure, it was rather predictable, but that's the point. They built these characters so well that you knew what they were going to do. It didn't need a twist, just a conclusion.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
MST3K fans will remember this one: Monster A Go-Go. An astronaut returning from space in a capsule reports trouble before landing on American soil- but what comes out is a large, radioactive, flesh-searing creature. He's captured, but manages to get free, leaving a trail of bodies until he's cornered in a sewer tunnel; a group of soldiers and technicians prepares to move in...

...only to find nothing.

And then a telegram is delivered: The astronaut has been found, alive and normal, in a raft in the ocean with no recollection of how he got there.

Fin.

The MST3K crew considered it to be the worst movie they'd ever riffed. Yes, even worse than Manos: Hands of Fate or even Invasion of the Neptune Men.

BigTallGuy

Sep 19, 2014
VGAME

ME3's ending was so bad, i stopped playing games on my 360, and avoided AAA titles until bioshock infinite (and then only because yatzee gave it GOTY) ME3's story was already the weakest of the three, but its ending was just a turd on the entire franchise. still it finally got me to switch over to pcgaming almost exclusively. so theres that for a silver lining

Movie

Shawshenk Redemption (stay with me)

specifically the last 10-15 seconds. the entire movie was based on hope, how its a good thing, and how it can keep us going even in the darkest of times., and its about to end on a perfect 10/10 note about how Red is going to mexico and how he hopes he will find andy. he doesn't know if he will, but he a man can HOPE. and we have a beautiful shot of a buss traveling on the road south to end on. But then we have to have it ruined by a quick shot of red finding andy sanding a boat, completely negating the need for audience to have anything to hope for. i read somewhere that that scene was added in at the behest of the studio who wanted the happy ending to be even more explicit. Shawshenk redemption woulda been a damn near perfect movie without those last 15 seconds.

Book:

The historian

first 3/4s of the book is an awesome mix of eastern european/middleeastern folklore, vampires, thriller, middle eastern mythology, and great characters. the author did this great thing throughout the book where she sprinkled "historical documents" throughout the novel to increase its realism. concerning vlad tepes brutality, or the role of religion with vampires, or past archalogists running something afoul and it all works great. That is until the last 2-300 pages, just go on and on and on with these historical documents about how monks are transporting draculas body in the 1700s or something. and. it. just. won't. stop.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Yeah, I know that much...but that bounty hunter dude was just...

It's like Joss Whedon was doing shrooms whilst reading The King In Yellow.

"Oh hey guys, you know what would fit well into our Space Opera Western about a ragtag bunch of misfits trying to make a living?"
Are you talking about Jubules Earle (definitely spelled that wrong)? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that wasn't the last episode. Episode 14 had the gang defending a brothel against misogynist cowboys, and I thought it kicked ass. But I liked the bounty hunter episode too; it was strange, but I don't think it broke with the tone of the show. I was actually worried at the beginning of the episode because I thought the bounty hunter character would just be a run of the mill bruiser, but then the show went and surprised me by making him one of the quirkiest yet brutal characters the gang meets.

On the other hand, I hated the Serenity film that was meant to tie up everything. Not the specific plot elements necessarily, I just think things got way too serious way too fast. I probably would't have minded seeing the plot reveals and the urgency surrounding them built up to slowly over the course of another season or two, but the show was cancelled so can't help that. I also think they handled the two character deaths in an utterly bullshit manner. It just felt like they were ticking off an arbitrary shock value box; it didn't feel as if the characters' deaths served any greater purpose to the story.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
putowtin said:
thaluikhain said:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Apparently, they ran out of money.

Now, the ending they did go for was in touch with their surrealist humour, something they could do that few other movies could, it really, really did not work. You'll note almost the entirety of that movie gets quoted line for line, just not so much the ending.

In fairness, a lot of their stuff was experimental, and thus not all of it was going to work, but that was a particularly poor bit.
I really don't think it's that bad, sure they ran out of money, but how else do you end it? They find the grail? they charge (again) the 2nd french castle?
I like the ending, it always makes me laugh the idea that...
King Arthur has had this massive army following them all the time and when he does call them up he get's arrested, love it!

OT: Barracuda, yeph, always left a bitter taste in the mouth
It's hard to think that no one raised their hand at any point and asked a)where the fuck the original story about the barracuda went, and b) how that ending made any fucking sense in the direction it did go. What were the writers on that the ending we got made any sense given that we got no hint that it was coming. It was neat that the barracuda got some excuse for their behavior in the movie unlike the shark in Jaws, but where they took that was the dumbest thing ever.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
irishda said:
While I've heard that from other people, it still just is too much of a disconnect between what they're trying to portray and what's happening on screen for me. They're trying to portray the brothers' healing, but it's healing by beating the shit out of each other? The only way they can heal is by one forcing the other into submission? "I forgive you, and I love you." /breaks arm.
As bizarre as this sounds, someone mentioned it earlier: fighting can actually be weirdly therapeutic and very bonding. If you've ever participated in no-BS combat sports where the intent is to straight up hurt your opponent, it creates this strange sense of bonding almost immediately. That's why you so often see UFC fighters hug each other after a match, even though they've just spent the last 15-25 minutes beating the crap out of each other. Back when I boxed, I remembered that, immediately after the final bell, whomever I had just fought was my best friend in the world for about 10 minutes (basically until the adrenaline wore off).

But, I will agree that I didn't like the ending to 'Warrior' because it did what so many "scrappy underdog" movies do: it made the big opponent so overwhelmingly good that it was completely unbelievable that the underdog even stood a chance (see also, Rocky 4, Real Steel, Mighty Ducks 2, etc.). In this case, Tommy could basically knock out anyone just by looking at them funny, while Brennan was never all that great of a fighter and barely scraped by in the other fights. It felt especially ridiculous considering Tommy knocked out basically everyone else with one punch, yet somehow Brennan got punched like 20 times and was still hanging in there.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher Paolini's books were wonderful...right up until the point he completely contrived the ending in order to screw his main character out of almost everything. I felt bad for poor Eregon, having to leave his homeland for no good reason and leaving behind everyone he knows and loves. Shit, he doesn't even get the girl.

The worst part is that there was no compelling reason for Eregon to inflict this on himself. I could poke holes in his reasons for leaving for days.

But I should be doing my Mathematical Reasoning homework right now, so I'm not going to.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
The film Lucy....just watching that film made me feel retarded, the whole thing was ridiculous and didn't even attempt to be plausible, just felt whoever wrote the script smoked a lot of pot and had never seen the inside of a classroom.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Pyrian said:
cojo965 said:
So our heroes have the government goons cornered with an army of policemen and only have to arrest them whereupon, this happens:

Lol! Awesome. I wouldn't want to watch that movie, but I'm kind of glad that ending exists.
The sad part is you kinda need the whole movie to really get the scope of how shit it really is.

CymbaIine

Aug 23, 2013
Fucking Atonement (the book).

Nothing like reading a mind numbingly boring book in the hopes that the amazing ending will make the slog worth it only to find out the ending is "IT WAS ALL A SUPER BORING DREAM!".

Fuck you Ian McEwan.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
BigTallGuy said:
Movie

specifically the last 10-15 seconds. the entire movie was based on hope, how its a good thing, and how it can keep us going even in the darkest of times., and its about to end on a perfect 10/10 note about how Red is going to mexico and how he hopes he will find andy. he doesn't know if he will, but he a man can HOPE. and we have a beautiful shot of a buss traveling on the road south to end on. But then we have to have it ruined by a quick shot of red finding andy sanding a boat, completely negating the need for audience to have anything to hope for. i read somewhere that that scene was added in at the behest of the studio who wanted the happy ending to be even more explicit. Shawshenk redemption woulda been a damn near perfect movie without those last 15 seconds.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Hell, I even would've settled for just the last shot panning on Andy sanding his boat looking at the sky. On the topic of movies with Morgan Freeman in them, it's just like the end of Se7en when Kevin Spacey kneels in front of Brad Pitt and goads him into shooting him. If that scene had just cut to black after Pitt pulled his gun out and stayed ambiguous it would've been great. Then they had to ruin it by showing Pitt's decision and the aftermath, overlaid with Morgan Freeman's narration.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
The Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher Paolini's books were wonderful...right up until the point he completely contrived the ending in order to screw his main character out of almost everything. I felt bad for poor Eregon, having to leave his homeland for no good reason and leaving behind everyone he knows and loves. Shit, he doesn't even get the girl.

The worst part is that there was no compelling reason for Eregon to inflict this on himself. I could poke holes in his reasons for leaving for days.

But I should be doing my Mathematical Reasoning homework right now, so I'm not going to.
It is perfectly simple. the ending he planned at the start and the ending he ended up with were different. In the original ending he still left but he got the girl. Also his cousin became king and his brother was killed. But half way into writing the series he chose to end it differently in order to crank out a sequal later on when he needs a new car or a new house. And I still don't get why he did not kill his brother. He was forced to do some bad stuff but he also did alot of that stuff because he enjoyed it. Guy was a complete douch bag.

OT:
Most of mine have been said Firefly, Angle, Mass Effect 3 so here is a more recent one. Middle-earth: shadow of Mordor. I LOVE the gameplay but damn is the ending bad. I was able to ignore most of the lore breaking stuff but the last hour or so of the game took it to far. Even ignoring the lore stuff it was still bad.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
McMindflayer said:
Vykrel said:
i know it is popular to hate on it, but Mass Effect 3's ending really was atrocious. ill never understand why so many people fail to see that. it negates everything the player has accomplished over the three games, and the Star Child's logic is completely ridiculous.

"i have to use my synthetics to kill you organics so that you arent killed by your own synthetics". this logic is made even more unsound by the fact you are can bring peace among the Quarian and the Geth after less than a friggin year.

really, just a god awful ending. i remember starting a second playthrough of ME2 the day after i beat it, but i still havent been able to bring myself to revisit the series, now that i have seen how it ends. it was all just so pointless. nothing mattered.
First of all: I agree that the ending is bad. but this failure to understand the logic behind the star child is stupid.
Synthetics have zero need for organic life. So if we make AI, and then, inevitably, war with them, what will they do? They will wipe out all the people. But, since they don't want to do this again, they will continue to wipe out any new organic people who might show back up.
Reapers, on the other hand, show up and kill all advanced life, including the synthetics. They then leave. So when they did their thing on the protheans, they didn't destroy humans, asari, krogans, etc who were all in their infancy. The reapers job is to let life grow without malicious AI(I understand the irony) coming in and destroying all life.

This is still stupid with the ability to make peace with the geth, and the general theme of the game being that AI and organics can live in peace. (see EDI and Joker) but it's not completely illogical.
Except that it hasn't been established that synthetics and organics will always go to war, or that peace cannot be achieved after war, or that synthetics will always win, or that the victorious synthetics will always kill off the organics.

Faulty logic stacked on top of faulty logic stacked on top of faulty logic. It's bullshitception.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
BigTallGuy said:

I hadn't considered that, but I agree, that would be better. As far as I can tell, the book leaves it ambiguous, with Red heading off to find Andy, but without disclosing how it turns out. That's more King's style.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
The final episode of World Without End. After seven weeks of building up themes of a new world rising in the ashes of the old, and the primary characters becoming formidable forces in their own rights...the miniseries ends with a village battle hitting every Medieval cliche one can think of. Characters have dramatic confrontations with other characters, in some cases without the show ever having established animosity between them in the first place. One of the minor characters turns out to be the old king in disguise (without anybody ever noticing), and solves all the problems with a flourish.

It was dreadful - it took what was developing into a reasonable miniseries and binned the plot, character, and theme development so badly it took down the rest of the series.