are you one of the users that does this?

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
first let me start by apologizing for posting what probably will amount to me "having a moment" for lack of a better term also I'm pretty sure many others have posted pretty much this thread before.

now I'll be the first to admit I've made some positively embarassing posts in the past that seemed like a good idea at the time, (this may or may not be one of them) in short forums are rife with ill-thought-out threads and posts (I once made a "why should humans survive?" pessimism thread and was extremely embarassed immediately after posting)

one specific reaction however is the thing I find baffling about many forums,

"this is a stupid thread and I want no part in it" or some variation thereof

I see this from time to time, and whether I'm the OP or not the first thought to occur to me is generally the same

"ok, you don't want to be part of a thread I respect that....and yet you posted...so like it or not you're part of the thread now"

basically my question is, are you one of the people that posts in a thread simply to voice your distate for the thought of posting in the aforementioned thread?

if so......why? I mean, why? surely the logical response is to simply not post, leave the thread and let it die, however I do notice that generally the people who do this have posts in the thousands.

I mean is there some sort of unspoken bragging right to having more posts under your belt? what is the logic here?

Dec 14, 2009
There's a direct correlation between post count size and the length of one's penis. (inb4 Hazy saying inverse in length :D)

When the eleventy billionth repeat thread appears, I sometimes just need to voice how pointless it is to make a thread that's been done the previously mentioned eleventy of the billionth time.

There's only so many opinions on a subject before it's just going around in circles, that's why flavour of the month threads are annoying.

Could I avoid them? Yeah, I suppose, but how am I supposed to whine about them if I'm not there :D

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I don't think I've ever went into a thread and called it stupid, mainly because there are probably forum users who have found some of my threads stupid, and have had the good grace/fear of a warning to not call mine's stupid so I don't think I should do it in return.

However, when it comes to repeat threads I will point out that the thread has been made a huge amount of times before, but I will still give an on topic response as well.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
What Daystar said. If its the same thread for the bajillionth time I'll probably question why they had to make another thread. Also if the thread is deliberately flamey and a troll thread I'll call them out.
Daystar Clarion said:
There's a direct correlation between post size and the length of one's penis. (inb4 Hazy saying inverse in length :D)
LOLs :D

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I think there are similar stuff that people do that it quite similar...
For example, you hear a song and person A says "I don't now this song", and person B says, " I do".
Yeah??? So?? You know the song, but are you going to be of any help???

I guess many people just arent aware of how stupid their statement is.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Sometimes out of pure rabid rage. Repeat threads are tiresome, but not infuriating. However, when somebody has posted a thread that's just stupid, I feel the same urge whenever somebody's stupid in real life.

I really, really, want to lunge for the throat and rip out their vocal cords.

Sadly, I can't do that to someone on the internet, despite what angry twelve year olds will tell you about "finding your house", and I'm still left in a state of pure rage, so I settle for...yelling at them.

Yeah...just don't try to make sense of it. It'll hurt.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
This thread about people having no part in silly threads is silly and I'll have no part in it!

I'm kidding. I don't normally do that but I will admit if I dont exactly know very much about the topic at hand or if I think it is a bit silly. But I usually join in.
It's not my forum, so stamping my foot and saying I'm NOT JOINING in is less productive than... just not joining in.

Daystar Clarion said:
There's a direct correlation between post count size and the length of one's penis. (inb4 Hazy saying inverse in length :D)
Awww.. but I don't want a penis!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I do that sometimes.

I did it just a few hours ago in one of the gazillionth 'feminism/women in games' thread.

There's nothing wrong with kicking against a thread that is being repeated ad nauseam.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe it's to intimidate others from posting the same thread. Because they'll know the only replies that thread will have is dumb ones.
Daystar Clarion said:
There's a direct correlation between post count size and the length of one's penis.
Fuck.

Are you also taking a stab at the guys over at Forum Games?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Oly J said:
basically my question is, are you one of the people that posts in a thread simply to voice your distate for the thought of posting in the aforementioned thread?
No, and I don't understand those who do, but then I appear to be in the minority in these forums; I'm actually here to talk to people rather than get a high post count, express my almost-certainly-teenage misanthropy or put other people down for their opinions.

What I don't get is the frankly enormous people who will join a thread, drop a post and then never return even if someone quotes them with a counter-point or discussion. Sure, I do it sometimes when it takes me a few days to notice someone has responded or if someone is being a tool, but for the most part I like having an actual conversation rather than blurting out my message and then running away.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Phasmal said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Awww.. but I don't want a penis!
Whyever not? They're pretty cool, you can piss just about anywhere you like!

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Oly J said:
if so......why? I mean, why? surely the logical response is to simply not post, leave the thread and let it die, however I do notice that generally the people who do this have posts in the thousands.

I mean is there some sort of unspoken bragging right to having more posts under your belt? what is the logic here?
This happens quite often and I don't understand it. Even if it's a thread that has been discussed to death recently, I don't see the point why would you just post to point that out. Just let it be. If nobody replies, the thread is gone in mere moments.

And another thing I don't understand is complaining about necroing. If someone starts a thread, they get complains that the topic has been discussed many times. If they find an old thread, they get blamed for necroing. Great.

And there definitely is a bragging right if you have a high post count. I've actually seen people admit that they do not even read posts if the user has a low post count. To some people here, if you do not post in every thread, your opinion is not valid. To all reading this, please note I said some people. No need to jump on me for this.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Phasmal said:
This thread about people having no part in silly threads is silly and I'll have no part in it!
I did wonder how long it would take for that joke to be made lol

SonicWaffle said:
Oly J said:
No, and I don't understand those who do, but then I appear to be in the minority in these forums; I'm actually here to talk to people rather than get a high post count, express my almost-certainly-teenage misanthropy or put other people down for their opinions.

What I don't get is the frankly enormous people who will join a thread, drop a post and then never return even if someone quotes them with a counter-point or discussion. Sure, I do it sometimes when it takes me a few days to notice someone has responded or if someone is being a tool, but for the most part I like having an actual conversation rather than blurting out my message and then running away.
I agree, forums are for talking, generally I'm very bad at consistantly going on any given forum apart from this one, (so this one must be doing something right) but I don't tend to post unless I have something to say, which is probably why my post-count is pretty low compared to a lot of people,

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Jack Rascal said:
Oly J said:

This happens quite often and I don't understand it. Even if it's a thread that has been discussed to death recently, I don't see the point why would you just post to point that out. Just let it be. If nobody replies, the thread is gone in mere moments.

And another thing I don't understand is complaining about necroing. If someone starts a thread, they get complains that the topic has been discussed many times. If they find an old thread, they get blamed for necroing. Great.

And there definitely is a bragging right if you have a high post count. I've actually seen people admit that they do not even read posts if the user has a low post count. To some people here, if you do not post in every thread, your opinion is not valid. To all reading this, please note I said some people. No need to jump on me for this.
well, 'tis better to have a low post-count and be thought a fool than to post in every thread and remove all doubt, still it's baffling that some people judge the merit of a post on how many others the user has made, that seems pretty stupid

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'll grab some popcorn for stupid threads, but I won't usually let the OP know his/her thread is stupid. Like everyone else I point out when a certain thread topic has been done to death.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
I think part of it is definately the post count and some people DO seem to (falsely) think that higher post count = better or more respected...on top of that we have BADGES for post counts if you can manage to do so without getting swatted by the mods...I must admit that while I say I don't care, and normally I really don't....I did look over and see just how close I am to the 500 posts without modwrath badge. It's like achievement points, I only seem to care when I'm nearing a milestone number.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Oly J said:
I agree, forums are for talking, generally I'm very bad at consistantly going on any given forum apart from this one, (so this one must be doing something right) but I don't tend to post unless I have something to say, which is probably why my post-count is pretty low compared to a lot of people,
Considering you joined about a month after me, comparing your post count to mine makes me feel like I should go outside more :-/

That said, I'm a devious little cupcake, and I only tend to browse the forums when I'm bored at work. Hence the 2k+ posts, I suppose; I'm a fucking terrible employee :-D

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
TopazFusion said:
It should be pointed out, that making a post in a thread, for no other reason than to complain about the thread, is actually against forum rules.
Why do I have the feeling you twirled your evil mustache as you typed that?

Scary

OT: Not really, I mostly just view the forum, as my opinion/stance on the matter will have most likely been given by the time I join the discussion

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Dragonclaw said:
I think part of it is definately the post count and some people DO seem to (falsely) think that higher post count = better or more respected...
Quiet, you. By right of higher post count I name myself your god. Bow down and worship, puny mortal, at least until one of the really obsessive posters comes along and demotes me to demigod (or possibly ass slave).

Fappy said:
Oh damn, it's happened already. Hail, new overlord!

Dragonclaw said:
on top of that we have BADGES for post counts if you can manage to do so without getting swatted by the mods...I must admit that while I say I don't care, and normally I really don't....I did look over and see just how close I am to the 500 posts without modwrath badge. It's like achievement points, I only seem to care when I'm nearing a milestone number.
I'm oddly proud of the fact I've gone nearly three years without even a warning. I suppose I'm just a lovable guy. Is there a badge I can earn for being a super cool dude?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
There are certain things on this site which will make your post count go up faster (Forum games), just because somebody has a high post count doesn't mean they're going into every topic and saying "FIRST"

I will point out if a thread should be moved (to religion and politics), but even if I do that, I'll also post my thoughts on the subject.
I'll also point out repeat threads if I've already seen the exact same topic three times that week (recommendation threads are bad for this). To me, there's no justification for posting a repeat thread when the last one is on the second page.

I usually won't post on a topic that already has a few pages, by that time, my opinion has already been stated, by someone else, who's done a much better job.
If by some rare chance, I have something to add to the discussion, I will.

SonicWaffle said:
Oly J said:
Considering you joined about a month after me, comparing your post count to mine makes me feel like I should go outside more :-/

That said, I'm a devious little cupcake, and I only tend to browse the forums when I'm bored at work. Hence the 2k+ posts, I suppose; I'm a fucking terrible employee :-D
Don't feel bad, I'm at work right now.

Jack Rascal said:
That's.... that's horrible.
If somebody took the time to write a well thought out post, it should be taken seriously, regardless of post count.
Maybe those people have low counts because they make an honest effort to do this.