are you one of the users that does this?

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
There's a direct correlation between post count size and the length of one's penis. (inb4 Hazy saying inverse in length :D)

When the eleventy billionth repeat thread appears, I sometimes just need to voice how pointless it is to make a thread that's been done the previously mentioned eleventy of the billionth time.

There's only so many opinions on a subject before it's just going around in circles, that's why flavour of the month threads are annoying.

Could I avoid them? Yeah, I suppose, but how am I supposed to whine about them if I'm not there :D
so how big is almost a 1000, like 5 inches? Where does girth factor in? THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME, OKAY!?

OT: Never done it, but if it felt justified I totally would.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
TopazFusion said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Why do I have the feeling you twirled your evil mustache as you typed that?
I might have done.

>.>

Seriously though, it's a little upsetting when a whole lot of people do that to a thread you happen to be genuinely interested in.
I understand, it gets annoying trying to shift through the posts that relate and the ones that just call OP a drunk monkey with a keyboard and internet access

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I don't really care for those, I always love to contribute. Even if it's in a thread that was done just the day before!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Eclpsedragon said:
There are certain things on this site which will make your post count go up faster (Forum games), just because somebody has a high post count doesn't mean they're going into every topic and saying "FIRST"
I don't see the whole "first" thing as an issue around here. The problem is more like people who go to a thread, say what they want, and then leave. In every single thread. If you're having a discussion you accumulate posts slowly as the other person or people respond at their own pace, whereas if you're disjointedly throwing posts into every single thread you're bound to have a mega post count.

Personally, I have a habit of responding to a post in a thread and then, since I'm there, seeing two or three more I want to respond to. At its worst, this can end up with a whole page of a thread being my responses to earlier posts. It's a sad kind of fishing, really; I've discovered that the more people you quote, the more likely it is that one of them will actually respond and you'll be able to have a conversation. If I wanted to just throw out my opinion for other people to see and not want any discussion, I'd take up graffiti.

Eclpsedragon said:
I usually won't post on a topic that already has a few pages, by that time, my opinion has already been stated, by someone else, who's done a much better job.
I do that too, but for different reasons. I've found that by the time a thread hits six or so pages, the main arguments and combatants have been chosen, and that any additional posts from new participants will be ignored.

Eclpsedragon said:
SonicWaffle said:
Oly J said:
I agree, forums are for talking, generally I'm very bad at consistantly going on any given forum apart from this one, (so this one must be doing something right) but I don't tend to post unless I have something to say, which is probably why my post-count is pretty low compared to a lot of people,
Considering you joined about a month after me, comparing your post count to mine makes me feel like I should go outside more :-/

That said, I'm a devious little cupcake, and I only tend to browse the forums when I'm bored at work. Hence the 2k+ posts, I suppose; I'm a fucking terrible employee :-D
Don't feel bad, I'm at work right now.
Yes, but so am I! I'm meant to be calculating the underprovision of the accountancy accrued expense for 2011 right now, not posting on a forum :p

Jack Rascal said:
If somebody took the time to write a well thought out post, it should be taken seriously, regardless of post count.
Maybe those people have low counts because they make an honest effort to do this.
The man - or possibly woman - makes a good point.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Oly J said:
well, 'tis better to have a low post-count and be thought a fool than to post in every thread and remove all doubt, still it's baffling that some people judge the merit of a post on how many others the user has made, that seems pretty stupid
Heh, too true :)

Eclpsedragon said:
Jack Rascal said:
And there definitely is a bragging right if you have a high post count. I've actually seen people admit that they do not even read posts if the user has a low post count. To some people here, if you do not post in every thread, your opinion is not valid. To all reading this, please note I said some people. No need to jump on me for this.
That's.... that's horrible.
If somebody took the time to write a well thought out post, it should be taken seriously, regardless of post count.
Maybe those people have low counts because they make an honest effort to do this.
I know. I was kind of shocked to read that people do that. And getting a high post count is really not that hard so I don't see a reason why it should be considered as some merit. Some people post on any topic and some only when they think they can contribute. Some have fantastic posts, some don't :)

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:
As fantastic as that sentence is, it's not mine :)

You quoted the wrong person...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
TopazFusion said:
SonicWaffle said:
people who go to a thread, say what they want, and then leave. In every single thread. If you're having a discussion you accumulate posts slowly as the other person or people respond at their own pace, whereas if you're disjointedly throwing posts into every single thread you're bound to have a mega post count.
I don't really see the logic here.

I've gotten into a few quote-fests in my time, which have gone on for many pages (Karutomaru being a recent example), and my post count saw a significant increase as a result.
Sure, sure. I didn't mean that having conversations doesn't accumulate posts - check my number, that's pretty much all from actual conversation - but that it doesn't accumulate them as fast as visiting every single new thread to spout an opinion/call the thread a repeat/mention that they don't care the way some people seem to do.

Those are the guys who annoy me, the ones who never come back to defend their post no matter how many times you respond to them.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Jack Rascal said:
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:

I certainly did not. You must be the wrong person. Since I'm never wrong, this is the only logical explanation!

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:
SonicWaffle said:
Jack Rascal said:

I certainly did not. You must be the wrong person. Since I'm never wrong, this is the only logical explanation!
Sigh. The story of my life, always the wrong person... Well, never mind good sir, I will move along now.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Only if it's the 50th thread in a minute.
Otherwise, live and let live. It's the internet, shit happens on it.

Jack Rascal said:
And there definitely is a bragging right if you have a high post count.
Only if the person in question is stupid enough to actually think having X amount of posts means anything. Otherwise, it's just a simple number that means fuck all.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
SonicWaffle said:
I don't see the whole "first" thing as an issue around here. The problem is more like people who go to a thread, say what they want, and then leave. In every single thread. If you're having a discussion you accumulate posts slowly as the other person or people respond at their own pace, whereas if you're disjointedly throwing posts into every single thread you're bound to have a mega post count.

Personally, I have a habit of responding to a post in a thread and then, since I'm there, seeing two or three more I want to respond to. At its worst, this can end up with a whole page of a thread being my responses to earlier posts. It's a sad kind of fishing, really; I've discovered that the more people you quote, the more likely it is that one of them will actually respond and you'll be able to have a conversation. If I wanted to just throw out my opinion for other people to see and not want any discussion, I'd take up graffiti.
The "First" thing isn't an issue here because the mods will smack whoever does it, but people will sometimes do the acceptable equivalent, which is post something very short (one sentence) just in an effort to be first. I'm not saying short post = bad, it's better to be short and to the point rather than wordy, I'm just commenting this is the behavior of some.

I will genuinely try to respond if I'm quoted (Yay evidence), but it really depends on the nature of the response. If the person just says "I agree" There's not really much I can contribute to that (Unless it's a topic I'm personally obsessed about so it moves into rantsville).

If they're arguing for arguments sake, I usually ignore them, I really don't like fighting on forums, especially when it's on a topic as silly as Xbox 360 vs PS3, or Mac vs PC.

SonicWaffle said:
I do that too, but for different reasons. I've found that by the time a thread hits six or so pages, the main arguments and combatants have been chosen, and that any additional posts from new participants will be ignored.
That's a good point, it seems the most obvious in the "art dump" threads and all the longer running games in the forum games section, the first few pages get comments while the other 40+ pages don't even get glanced at. In this case, I'm OK with repeat threads, some just need to die and be restarted.

It's mostly the "controversial topic of the week" and the "recommend me ....." threads that get on my nerves.

SonicWaffle said:
Yes, but so am I! I'm meant to be calculating the underprovision of the accountancy accrued expense for 2011 right now, not posting on a forum :p
It's slow right now, I usually try to get my work done before I start posting here...
Also, don't think about it as slacking off, think about it as multi-tasking.

SonicWaffle said:
Why, Thank you. :)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'd be lieing if I said I'd never done that, I don't do it very often though. As for the logic of it, well there is none really; it's just plain irrational behavior.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Sassafrass said:
Jack Rascal said:
And there definitely is a bragging right if you have a high post count.
Only if the person in question is stupid enough to actually think having X amount of posts means anything. Otherwise, it's just a simple number that means fuck all.
Just to be clear, I don't care about post count. I was merely pointing out that to some people on the forums it means a whole lot. Going as far as saying "I don't read a post if the users post count is low". And that's just ridiculous. But on the other hand, I think as long as any forum has had a post count, it has meant something. Why otherwise display it?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Jack Rascal said:
Just to be clear, I don't care about post count. I was merely pointing out that to some people on the forums it means a whole lot. Going as far as saying "I don't read a post if the users post count is low". And that's just ridiculous. But on the other hand, I think as long as any forum has had a post count, it has meant something. Why otherwise display it?
I sort of guessed you didn't care about post counts, I just couldn't find the right way to word what I wanted to say. :D

But I agree, ignoring someone because they have a low post count is pretty stupid. Just because they don't post a lot, doesn't mean they're gonna post stupid things. As for why they display it, I actually wish I knew. It doesn't really serve much purpose. :p

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Jack Rascal said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Jack Rascal said:
And there definitely is a bragging right if you have a high post count. I've actually seen people admit that they do not even read posts if the user has a low post count. To some people here, if you do not post in every thread, your opinion is not valid. To all reading this, please note I said some people. No need to jump on me for this.
That's.... that's horrible.
I know. I was kind of shocked to read that people do that. And getting a high post count is really not that hard so I don't see a reason why it should be considered as some merit. Some people post on any topic and some only when they think they can contribute. Some have fantastic posts, some don't :)
I tend to look at join date as better than having a high post count...
of course I joined in 2009, so take from that what you will.

I think the high post is viewed as a merit because those people are recognizable, They're everywhere, so the community gets to know them. Generally, if you ask a person "Name the first six escapist from the top of your head." those people will probably list individuals with high post count.

(If you're wondering the first six that visit my brain are... Daystar, Hazy, Fappy, Topaz, Sassafrass, and Doclector. Phasmal, Casual Shinji, and Canadamus_prime came in also. Those names might be mostly influenced by the majority of them being in this very topic, but I'm pretty darn sure most users would at least list Daystar regardless).

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Eclpsedragon said:
The "First" thing isn't an issue here because the mods will smack whoever does it, but people will sometimes do the acceptable equivalent, which is post something very short (one sentence) just in an effort to be first. I'm not saying short post = bad, it's better to be short and to the point rather than wordy, I'm just commenting this is the behavior of some.
I dunno, it seems like most of the really short posts I see earn the poster a warning at the very least. That said, it is at least better than "first", because it's an opinion - however laconically expressed - on the topic. Yelling "hurr durr me am firstest!" adds nothing. Same as posting an image meme, IMHO; what the fuck does posting the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" add to a discussion other than "Look at me, I'm misanthropic! How cool am I!"?

Eclpsedragon said:
I will genuinely try to respond if I'm quoted (Yay evidence), but it really depends on the nature of the response. If the person just says "I agree" There's not really much I can contribute to that (Unless it's a topic I'm personally obsessed about so it moves into rantsville).

If they're arguing for arguments sake, I usually ignore them, I really don't like fighting on forums, especially when it's on a topic as silly as Xbox 360 vs PS3, or Mac vs PC.
Agreed. Especially if they're responding as if you didn't already respond to their points, and just keep repeating the same thing as if by saying it enough times you'll magically change your mind.

To combat the "I agree" thing, I find myself going slightly overboard. My posts tend to be a bit longer than they should be, generally to give the other person at least something they can respond to. I never like leaving a post that ends a conversation - it's like saying "LOL!" in a text, how the hell do you respond to that? Whatever you send it going to make you look like a lonely, needy person unwilling to let the conversation die. And yes, I do see the irony there :p

Eclpsedragon said:
That's a good point, it seems the most obvious in the "art dump" threads and all the longer running games in the forum games section, the first few pages get comments while the other 40+ pages don't even get glanced at. In this case, I'm OK with repeat threads, some just need to die and be restarted.

It's mostly the "controversial topic of the week" and the "recommend me ....." threads that get on my nerves.
For me it's the "you are" or the "what's your" threads. You are your avatar, what was the last boss you killed, what is your favourite gun, how big is your dick etc etc. I just don't see the discussion value in them. I swear, a while ago I saw a "how old are you" thread, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how that was supposed to spin into an actual conversation.

"I'm 25"
"Holy shit, me too! What are the odds?"
"I bet we have other things in common too - do you enjoy the speculative fiction of Philip K. Dick?"
"I DO! LET'S BE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER!"

Eclpsedragon said:
It's slow right now, I usually try to get my work done before I start posting here...
My problem is that I shouldn't technically have downtime; as soon as I finish one job, I start the next one, so whenever I'm posting here it's with a slight twinge of guilt knowing that I really ought to be working ;-)

Eclpsedragon said:
Also, don't think about it as slacking off, think about it as multi-tasking.
Being a male, I'm not sure I can get away with that, isn't it meant to be a ladies-only thing? Also, I've worked here nearly for years, these people know I have trouble walking and talking at the same time :p

Eclpsedragon said:
Why, Thank you. :)
...what the holy hell is that?! It will haunt my dreams, ever following but a few footfalls behind no matter how fast I run...

Aug 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
There's a direct correlation between post count size and the length of one's penis. (inb4 Hazy saying inverse in length :D)

When the eleventy billionth repeat thread appears, I sometimes just need to voice how pointless it is to make a thread that's been done the previously mentioned eleventy of the billionth time.

There's only so many opinions on a subject before it's just going around in circles, that's why flavour of the month threads are annoying.

Could I avoid them? Yeah, I suppose, but how am I supposed to whine about them if I'm not there :D
It's very different when someone like you or Hazy or Fappy does it (there are of course other users, but to list them would just be boring)

Whether you like it or not you lot do have a certain (for lack of a better word) mystique. When you join a thread you give it a certain legitimacy. If you post in a thread, people will see your name on the 'hot topics' forum thingy, and they will go in to see what you have said.

If someone like me posts in a thread like that then it will die very quickly, unless a lot of us post. When someone like you posts a dozen people flock in and start cluttering things up, which of course brings a lot more people saying 'this is pointless' just so they could be part of the debate. (How many times exactly have you been quoted saying 'this is pointless' by someone saying 'I agree with this man!')

As for the OP: some people just like to voice their opinion I guess. There's lots of people who just want to be part of the discussion, even if they have nothing to add or say.

As for Daystar's point: I think there can be value in going over old topics. I usually make a game of it and see how many dozens of different responses I can make for one single topic, often contradictory just to shake things up. Yes when it goes for too long (several weeks) it gets boring, but some of the 'flash in the pan' trends can be quite fun to be a part of.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I often reply to threads that I find silly, but I do try to answer the OP one way or another. If I find it too stupid to bother with it I will simply ignore it most of the time unless there's a reply to the thread that I like, agree with or disagree with a lot. I do have a history of complaining about the kind of people that doesn't contribute to the thread at all.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Eclpsedragon said:
I think the high post is viewed as a merit because those people are recognizable, They're everywhere, so the community gets to know them. Generally, if you ask a person "Name the first six escapist from the top of your head." those people will probably list individuals with high post count.

(If you're wondering the first six that visit my brain are... Daystar, Hazy, Fappy, Topaz, Sassafrass, and Doclector. Phasmal, Casual Shinji, and Canadamus_prime came in also. Those names might be mostly influenced by the majority of them being in this very topic, but I'm pretty darn sure most users would at least list Daystar regardless).
There is actually a thread like that open right now, and it entirely proves your point. All the guys appearing on everyone's list are those with the uber post counts, because people see them everywhere.

It's a depressing thread though - seven pages and nobody has mentioned me. I'm currently in stage 3 of the Five Stages of Grief, Bargaining - I'm willing to trade anything for recognition! Well, almost anything. Ain't nobody getting my signed Alan Moore.

Dec 14, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Whether you like it or not you lot do have a certain (for lack of a better word) mystique. When you join a thread you give it a certain legitimacy. If you post in a thread, people will see your name on the 'hot topics' forum thingy, and they will go in to see what you have said.
Wait, people don't do that do they?

Do they?

D: