Are you Patriotic?

Vale

May 1, 2013
Nope.
FUCK DA SYSTEM MAN!
YEAH!
No, really. It is literally impossible for a reasonable person to be patriotic towards this Eastern European shithole. Doesn't stop half the populace from being neonazis though.
Even if this was the best country in the world, I still would feel 0 obligation towards it. I guess I'm just a silly causeless teenage rebel.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
To me the word "patriotic" conjures up images of racist shitheads who want to keep Sweden "pure". So I avoid calling myself that despite the fact that, like with the word "feminist", just because some who call themselves that are shitholes doesn't mean all of them are. (I do identify as feminist btw.) I like my country though. It has its faults, but I have a hard time picturing myself living anywhere else.

DeadRise17

Feb 23, 2013
Nope. My only purpose in life is to take a job in Australia so the Aussies can keep complaining about Kiwis taking their jobs. It's a mutually beneficial partnership.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
I always favored being loyal to ideals vice countries. I figure it's the ideals that shape the country, and are what we should be loyal to.

Seeing as how I'm American though, can't leave without the obligatory flag waving, so here ya go.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
If your patriotic in Sweden it means you're racist against everyone else. But even without that unwritten rule, I have no loyalty towards my country.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
well, patriotism in the uk is basically 'god save the queen' and move on

we don't really have a culture of self love, if anything we have a culture of self parody but then it is, at the same time that sort of ner ner, we can joke about all this kind of thing too.. so maby it's just as bad?

objectively ( or as objectively as i can put it ) i think the uk is a decent place to live we have most of the mod cons, were fairly well off and our economy is fair, and has been for a long time so money is like diamond dust worldwide

the only places i can think of with major benefits also have even larger pitfalls
for example,

US - more space, more people, more stuff.
downside? guns, drugs, racism, heat and hot tempers. there's no way i'd feel safe living the US and i'd be uncomfortable all the time.

Japan - high tech everything, hell your toilet is your doctor and your fridge gets your tweets ready for you in the morning.
downside.. everywhere is cramped, everything is tiny.. the technology is a splint for a wider array of problems.

i'd say everywhere has it's ups and downs, and patriotism is a little outdated in the modern world

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Patriotism, Yes
love for or devotion to one's country
Nationalism, No
loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups
I'm a veteran and I think America is great. Though I also think we have a lot to learn from Europe on health care and Asia on education. If I had to move to another country, I can probably think of only a dozen or so where I'd be happy (though still griping about a few problems in each of them as well) but substantially more where I would absolutely not want to go, in many cases because my mouth would probably get me jailed or executed.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Yes and no, yes because I like my country and generally proud of it and its people despite is obvious flaws and terrible mistakes. No in the sense I do not really care about "typical" patriotism or flag waving, if people insult my country I am not bothered. If people offer criticism its worth listening, if someone burns a flag its only a bit of cloth. Burning people is another thing though, if there was ever a defensive war I would do my part. I would never get involved in any bullshit international intervention though, if British people where getting killed in a war I couldn't stand back and do nothing but I would never risk my life because politics decided we should got involved in something we should have stayed out of. I would have to think carefully if it ever involved "allies" and would depend on the circumstances, if another nation or coalition attacked the whole EU and it wasn't provoked I might. If NATO provoked a nation like China[footnote]Not that I consider China an "enemy" just referencing a super power.[/footnote] I probably wouldn't and would join any anti war protests that might happen.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I'm a dual national, but because I'm a dual national between France and the UK I'm pretty much treated as an outsider by both. Since I live in the UK, it's ironically pushed me away from considering myself "British" cos everyone prejudges me as a "Frenchman", which automatically makes me an outsider and 'enemy' in the eyes of the English. This never happened with the other people of mixed heritage I know. People I know with Indian, Italian, Dutch, Chinese etc heritage generally consider themselves British if they were born and brought up there. But I've never really managed to connect myself with this country and I've become a bit of a French chauvinist. Maybe it's just the genes.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Whenever someone says they are patriotic or something like that i feel the need to remind them of the great war

Not that i would not rub my countrys obvious superiority in someones face in an entirely legal manner if the opportunity is shoved in my face
And i definitely support self sufficient isolationism to a great extent, meaning as small countries as practically possible

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
I live in the US, and I like it. I lucked out with where and to whom I was born. Congress is a joke, and the fact that the whole country is now a nanny state where nobody's allowed to do anything in case there's a lawsuit is rather tiresome, but I can deal with that.

On the whole, I like where I live or I wouldn't live here. If someone came up to me and told me the US sucked ass, I wouldn't get worked up about it. As The Dude once put it, "that's just, like, your opinion, man."

I still don't understand the tens of millions of Americans who have enormous stars and stripes flags dangling off their homes and cars. That seems a bit, well, fake I guess. "Oooh, look how much I love 'Murica because I have a flag the size of a football field hanging off my porch."

laraghboy

Jul 14, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I'm not patriotic, you can spit on the Irish flag and I wouldn't really care.
Get_A_Grip_ said:
Irish here.
Do not care for my country at all.
Hmmm....kinda saddens me when I see this sort of thing about Ireland. I guess I've always thought that, while the country is FAR from perfect, the good really outweighs the bad.

Sure, we can moan about the recession, politicians, bankers, weather, general scumbag carry-on that passes for normal in town of a Saturday night, the binge-drinkers and casual-violencers and the......

.....what was my point?

Oh yeah! I feel like all that is just smears and grime on a cracked window that looks out to the most beautiful view. Focus on the culture, the music, the people themselves....there's drink to be downed and craic to be had, mountains to get lost in and unforgettable nights to be completely forgotten (until the facebook statuses pop up)

I've traveled a fair bit, and everywhere I go, once the accent is heard or someone spies the ridonkulous tan-line, peoples faces beam and ask about my home or list all the reasons why they can't wait to visit. And, even when they try the almost-racist-*Irish*-accent, it always makes me sorta proud I suppose!

I reckon if you smash the glass and poke your head out the window for a look-see, you might change your mind! Here's hoping anyway!

Jmumbler

Jul 7, 2013
Not really. I can stand for the principles that founded the country (united states) but know its so divided and hateful its hard to feel proud. Not to mention I live in a small town full of "MERICA F**K YEAH" And when your an atheist they tend to look down on yeah and call you patriotic, so eh.

Vanorae

Oct 5, 2011
I am Dutch. I like things about my country but, like any other, it has many flaws. I think our policies on drugs are working well although not perfectly. Also, I think Amsterdam is a great and beautiful city. Being proud of your country is a great thing to be and no one should be ashamed of coming from a certain place. Just as long as that attitude doesn't make you think that other countries are somehow 'lesser' and that people who are from different places are somehow inferior.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I do love Australia, we have good beaches, or politicians are not that bad, however things could be better and I'd like to improve them. Would I fight and die for It? No, I'm a pacifist.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Guffe said:
you missed out the gh in though.

Noun: thou
|thaw|
The cardinal number that is the product of 10 and 100
= 1000, G, K, M, chiliad, grand, one thousand, thousand, yard
Pronoun: thou
|dhaw|
Usage: Archaic
The second personal pronoun, in the singular number, denoting the person addressed; the pronoun which is used in addressing persons in the solemn or poetical style
= thyself

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I like the US but I wouldn't consider myself patriotic. We have lots of problems and have some shitty things but we've also done some great things. Just about the same as every other first world country so yay

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Guffe said:
you missed out the gh in though.

Noun: thou
|thaw|
The cardinal number that is the product of 10 and 100
= 1000, G, K, M, chiliad, grand, one thousand, thousand, yard
Pronoun: thou
|dhaw|
Usage: Archaic
The second personal pronoun, in the singular number, denoting the person addressed; the pronoun which is used in addressing persons in the solemn or poetical style
= thyself
DAAAAUUUMMMM!!
Didn't expect to get that one corrected :p
THOU I can see why ;)

hehe, thanks I guess :D

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Guffe said:
DAAAAUUUMMMM!!
I concede to your intellect, you must get all the babes.
I can see why ;)
http://images.cryhavok.org/d/2644-2/LOLcat+-+Grammar+Nazi+Cat.jpg

Well, I'm just the friendly, local grammar Nazi. :)