are you people fucking serious!

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Evonisia said:
Though I do find it funny that Obama is higher than Bush, given the reputation of the latter.
4chan trolls are conservative - you learned it here first, folks!

Also... who the hell is this "Moot" guy? He looks pretty internet famous.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
irishda said:
Thorn14 said:
irishda said:
I'm sure none of them play games.
Trolls on 4chan who may be gamers trolled an obscure poll, ergo all gamers did this.
Did they say "all gamers" or did they just say "gamers"? I mean if a bunch of white people robbed a bank, would someone be accurate in saying, "White people robbed a bank"?
I see this argument a lot and it doesn't fly. Imagine the following statement: "Feminists are violent man-haters who find it funny when men are abused by their wives." Is this OK because I didn't say all feminists? It's certainly true of some feminists. What if someone said "Black people are violent thugs." "Jews are Zionist scum." "Men are rapists." "Women are manipulative gold diggers." "White people are bank robbers." Would these be OK because I didn't say all? No - of course not. Implicit in the statement is the generalisation. That's just the way English works.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
thundra said:
Kopikatsu said:
The only problem I have with that list is Cleopatra should be above Quinn. But otherwise, meh.
So woman with the voice is worse than genocide? Nice priorities you have there.
The fact that you take this poll remotely seriously tells a tale in and of itself.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Fappy said:
Colour Scientist said:
Wintermute said:
The most interesting thread I can think of was the one about breast feeding in public, because it was kind of talking about boobs.
Eh, you're so welcome. :p

It would be lovely to have some other threads to break up the monotony.

Yes, forum-goers, that is a hint.
We should make a thread about butts next.
I like butts. Can we hijack this thread to make it about butts?

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Suhi89 said:
I see this argument a lot and it doesn't fly. Imagine the following statement: "Feminists are violent man-haters who find it funny when men are abused by their wives."
The sentences are structured in different ways, hence different meanings. Note how all your examples use the word "are".

"White people robbed a bank" and "White people are bank robbers" are not the same sentence - the first identifies the culprits (of some unknown number greater than 1) of a single bank robbery, the second says that all/most white people have robbed/will rob a bank.

That said, the OP didn't explicitly use either of those sentences. She said that she was embarrassed to be a gamer and doesn't identify as one, the implication being that "gamers", as a group, were responsible for the poll results. But you could argue she basically said "Gamers are jerks that like to beat up on Moot (among others)", so if anyone was trying to defend that by arguing she didn't say "all gamers" I agree with you it doesn't fly.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
To echo everyone else in this thread. When you see an obvious troll like this the best thing to do is roll your eyes and move on, by making this thread you are giving the trolls who fucked with the poll exactly what they want.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Considering that, on that list there is: Christopher Poole (moot), Christopher Poole, Moot, Moot, Moot Everywhere, Mr. Moot, and Christopher Moot Poole, in that order....

no, I don't think the "You people" are serious

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
NoeL said:
Suhi89 said:
I see this argument a lot and it doesn't fly. Imagine the following statement: "Feminists are violent man-haters who find it funny when men are abused by their wives."
The sentences are structured in different ways, hence different meanings. Note how all your examples use the word "are".

"White people robbed a bank" and "White people are bank robbers" are not the same sentence - the first identifies the culprits (of some unknown number greater than 1) of a single bank robbery, the second says that all/most white people have robbed/will rob a bank.

That said, the OP didn't explicitly use either of those sentences. She said that she was embarrassed to be a gamer and doesn't identify as one, the implication being that "gamers", as a group, were responsible for the poll results. But you could argue she basically said "Gamers are jerks that like to beat up on Moot (among others)", so if anyone was trying to defend that by arguing she didn't say "all gamers" I agree with you it doesn't fly.
I agree. I intentionally reworded the bank robbers quote to make it closer match the OP in form.

There are a lot of little nuances in the English language. "White people robbed a bank" is safe as it is unlikely to be construed as referencing white people as a class.

"Gamers organised a harassment campaign" is more ambiguous because it could refer to individual gamers or gamers as a class, depending on how you want to read it. I would try to give the writer of the comment the benefit of the doubt and assume they are referring to individual gamers.

"I'm ashamed to be a gamer because gamers are misogynists" implies that gamers are being referred to as a class and that it's least generally true (if you come across a gamer, chances are they're a misogynist), rather than individuals and so the "they didn't say all gamers" defence doesn't work.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
I personally think Hitler gets too much crap nowadays. One little genocide shouldn't make people ignore all the good he did for the world.
Yeah, I mean, he made the trains run on time... wait, was that Mussolini?

Also, Hitler was a unicorn, and that's just not something you can put aside.

...no, seriously, I have photos.

EDIT: see? Handsome devil, really.

http://imgur.com/3FeH3JK

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Oh no, 80 people on the internet voted for someone as the worst person in history, whatever will I do with myself!

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

Seriously, how can so many people fall for this? 4Chan is smarter than this guys, come on. (On second thought, this user is probably from 4chan...)

Kalezian said:

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
Hey, Zoe still didn't manage to beat Stalin or Hitler! So no matter how fucked up people's priorities are right now, at least there's still room for them to get even more fucked up! All hope isn't lost!...yet...

tippy2k2 said:
If you have heard of this website before the OP, please say so
I think I've come across it once or twice. I don't really remember why I went there, though. I was probably looking at something music related.
I know, if you can't even beat hitler you must not be that evil. I've been called hitler twice this week, and all I did was sneeze during a movie.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Thorn14 said:
Channers (8chan and or 4chan I assume considering Moot is on there twice) hijack an obscure poll.

News at eleven. Are you new to the internet? Trolls fuck with polls ALL THE TIME to get the exact reaction you just had. So successful trolling is successful.

Also I like how you blame "gamers" for this. Hilarious.
More news at 11 the sun disappeared at around seven O'clock today. Scientist are baffled as to why.

OT: Really? Reeeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyy? This fucking surprises you? Internet trolls put someone you like on a poll with Hitler, Stalin, and Ted Bundy and now you want to sod off the entire industry? Good riddance then, because the last thing this industry needs is people who knee jerk at the slightest things. Please level up your maturity stats then come back when you can actually state your grievances like an adult, thank you.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
chiggerwood said:
Thorn14 said:
Channers (8chan and or 4chan I assume considering Moot is on there twice) hijack an obscure poll.

News at eleven. Are you new to the internet? Trolls fuck with polls ALL THE TIME to get the exact reaction you just had. So successful trolling is successful.

Also I like how you blame "gamers" for this. Hilarious.
More news at 11 the sun disappeared at around seven O'clock today. Scientist are baffled as to why.

OT: Really? Reeeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyy? This fucking surprises you? Internet trolls put someone you like on a poll with Hitler, Stalin, and Ted Bundy and now you want to sod off the entire industry? Good riddance then, because the last thing this industry needs is people who knee jerk at the slightest things. Please level up your maturity stats then come back when you can actually state your grievances like an adult, thank you.

Well, considering gamergate and gamer is dead have more kneejerkers then a french dancing troupe. I'm not at all surprised that obscure references are being tied with the gamergate/isdead issue by another person knee jerk reacting.

OT: Why is it you're angry about ZQ when that Christopher poole guy (who supports her no less) gets lampooned just because he owns a site (that he is ill advisedly trying to "clean up" or make more palatable for the masses, ignoring the fact that his userbase will just go somewhere else)

Is the ills of 4chan his fault because he wanted a place free of rules that raw human nature inevitably tainted?

I'm just kidding.. this this is an entire exercise to get a reaction. Arguing it's merits are arguing the merits of each individual rice pop in your bowl of cereal. It's okay, just take a breath.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I dunno, I think it'll be a good hook for Zoe Quinn.

"Hi, I'm Zoe Quinn. Worse than Pol Pot but not as bad as Hitler."

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Sassafrass said:

That would be priceless. I'm actually going to be a little disappointed if a tweet like that doesn't come from someone on that list in the next week.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Mezahmay said:
Sassafrass said:

That would be priceless. I'm actually going to be a little disappointed if a tweet like that doesn't come from someone on that list in the next week.
Moot's got the best deal out of it.

"Hi, I'm Moot. I created 4chan. I'm also literally worse than every dictator in the world."

Honestly, fuck everything else, it's time for #StopMoot2014. His reign of terror has gone on too long.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
*Sees Obama*
Ugh, dude can't even break the top 10 in the worst person list? He's even terrible at being terrible. Can he do nothing right!? Thanks a lot Obama!
--------------------

OT: Gamers voted EA worse company in America twice. How does this surprise you? We're nothing else if not petty; this has been an absolute truth for quite a while now. Dunno why this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

EDIT*
Checked out a couple more of these lists out of curiosity. They're actually pretty funny. Kanye West is apparently a bigger douche than Donald Trump. Hah, hah, that's absurd!
Strongly considering bookmarking this site.