Are You Ready to Smell Your Games?

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I am reminded of Futurama's smell-a-scope and gamings notorious sewer level. On top of that are game characters going to have to bath now because who wants to smell someone who has been running around for days without seeing anything remotely resembling soap.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I'm not sure I want this for Left 4 Dead or Gears of War. Sewers, burning, guts, blood. You'd play yourself to the point of vomiting.

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Imagine the smell of a subway station in Fallout 3, a few days after killing every living thing in it D:

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I think from the majority of posts I saw as I scrolled down that no, we are most certainly not. Stop it

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
i'm completely happy with the manufactorum-fresh breeze that dazes me every time i open a new game.... aah, the memories...

Jan 29, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Seriously? This is just stupid.

Imagine the smell of a game like Dead Space. Why would you ever want to smell that?
The smell of cold, hard, vacuum.
Anyways, howabout a bbq smell for the flamethrower?

But I think it would be more fun to have a force-feedback vest to simulate being shot with annoying jabs and pokes that make you laugh and convulse, sending your mouse through the window.

vede

Dec 4, 2007
I think this would be good for simulation games.

That is, games meant to simulate aircraft or racecars.

It would also be good for games that are war games, but are more focused on showing that war is terrifying rather than fun. If a game is made with the intent of showing people how horrifying such an experience would be, this would be good. (We need more games like this.)

But... I doubt it would actually add anything to games. It'll probably feel like more of a gimmick than anything.

Also: I'd say smell comes after vision, hearing, taste, and feeling on the scale of information obtained from it.

Vision and hearing are essential for survival, taste indicates the safety of things we're eating or drinking, and feeling allows us to manipulate our environment. Smell seems like more of a byproduct of taste than anything. While useful, not nearly as useful as the rest.