Are You Related To Anyone Famous? And Do You Care?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Apparently, I"m distantly related to Michael Winslow, aka Larvell Jones from the Police Academy movies (the one who makes the sound effects with his mouth,) and no, I don't care.

Slightly off topic as she’s not actually related to the man, but kind of a cool fact. While visiting my ex-wife's grandparents in North Carolina many moons ago, I was looking at the pictures on their walls and saw Muhammed Ali holding a baby. I asked her grandfather how they knew him, and come to find he was a close family friend; he used to stay at their house when he was in town to avoid publicity. The baby he was holding in the picture was my ex. If only he would have sensed the pure evil she would become then, he could have punched her right in the soft spot of her little baby head and saved me 8 years of hell a couple decades later.
....despite the implied baby brain punching....that's a neat story. I recall that Greg Louganis, the Olympic diver back in the 80s, stayed at a house of one of my neighbors, because he had a pool, so Greg could do some basic diving practice before going to do actual training at the olympic pool nearby with the BIG diving platforms.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I'm a cousin of the Sundance Kid, which is kind of cool. And while not famous, at least one of my ancestors was involved in the Homestead Strike of 1892. That one has a certain thrum to it, at least for me.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
....despite the implied baby brain punching....that's a neat story. I recall that Greg Louganis, the Olympic diver back in the 80s, stayed at a house of one of my neighbors, because he had a pool, so Greg could do some basic diving practice before going to do actual training at the olympic pool nearby with the BIG diving platforms.
Not to further derail the spirit of the thread, but back in my youth (the '80s,) Mike Tyson (heavyweight boxer, in case anyone in here just poked their head out of cave) was living legend. The playground chatter was always "would you let Mike Tyson punch you for a million dollars??" Well, when he was finally defeated by Buster Douglas, the world was stunned. Turns out Buster Douglas lived in my hometown of Columbus, OH. Shortly after the fight, my dad and I were driving down the street when my dad spotted him jogging, so he busted a U-turn so I could meet him. I stepped out on the corner and watched as this mythical beast jogged towards me. I was so scared of the guy who beat MIKE TYSON, I let him jog right by; I was too afraid of him to say or do anything! XD

Reactions: happyninja42

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Family legend has it that the founder of Stanford University was from a branch of the family that emigrated to the States. It's not impossible - so my father tells me some of my ancestors had the surname Stanford back in the 1800s - but I suspect it's a fanciful invention all the same. That's as good as gets as far as fame and my family is concerned.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Clearly, being from the UK, this means I am literally related to the queen; a bastard child kept from the public, relegated to the measly position of warden of the swans...not as glamorous as one might think, but they make better companions than the rest of the stuck up snobs. Every night I had to loyally bring roasted swan to her majesty's chambers, always passing that creepy sex pest dungeon doorway, always as quickly and quietly as possible to avoid awakening the rabid death corgis. I had to escape on a raft tied to a hundred swans whilst mother was swooning heavily from tainted absinthe in front of the hallucinating guards, it was all very intense. But now I am free to tell my story, uncensored and with the remaining 97 swans as my key witnesses (Thaddeus, Olga and Angeliki...you shall all be remembered and forever commemorated for your outstanding service, bravery and sacrifice. God speed!).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Clearly, being from the UK, this means I am literally related to the queen; a bastard child kept from the public, relegated to the measly position of warden of the swans...not as glamorous as one might think, but they make better companions than the rest of the stuck up snobs. Every night I had to loyally bring roasted swan to her majesty's chambers, always passing that creepy sex pest dungeon doorway, always as quickly and quietly as possible to avoid awakening the rabid death corgis. I had to escape on a raft tied to a hundred swans whilst mother was swooning heavily from tainted absinthe in front of the hallucinating guards, it was all very intense. But now I am free to tell my story, uncensored and with the remaining 97 swans as my key witnesses (Thaddeus, Olga and Angeliki...you shall all be remembered and forever commemorated for your outstanding service, bravery and sacrifice. God speed!).
Dude...XD

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I'm related to Henrietta Leavitt, who discovered the relation between the luminosity and the period of Cepheid variables (this discovery was one of the foundations of Hubble's work and part of what allows us to calculate distances in outer space). She was actually considered for a Nobel over it, but they are not awarded posthumously and when they tried to contact her they learned she had died 3 years before her nomination from cancer.

I'm a descendent of a cousin of hers or some such. Could probably work it out exactly if I felt the need to, NALF (National Association of Leavitt Families) supposedly has a family tree that's as complete as they can manage.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
For the best, Prince Andrew doesn't allow people in his room except via appointment
Thing is, that's old news. I think the creepy bit is Prince Philip standing outside with a grin, half bemused half knowing, all disconcerting. ¬_¬

Uh, you left out the bit about soiled boaters and one of the corgis being possessed by the vengeful spirit of Queen Victoria. That was quite an exposé as originally recounted. Ladies in the gallery fanning themselves, furiously, monocles dropping from all sides.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Are you waiting for the inevitable unfortunately family photographing accident?

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Got very distant relatives who still own a castle in Wales

Got another distant relative who absconded with an island off the Prussian. Temporarily

Also got a cousin who plays for the NRL (one of the footballs in Oz). See him every few months and hardly ever talk about football

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Thing is, that's old news. I think the creepy bit is Prince Philip standing outside with a grin, half bemused half knowing, all disconcerting. ¬_¬

Uh, you left out the bit about soiled boaters and one of the corgis being possessed by the vengeful spirit of Queen Victoria. That was quite an exposé as originally recounted. Ladies in the gallery fanning themselves, furiously, monocles dropping from all sides.
Hey, there has to be some material left for the lucrative book deal! The family treasures were too heavy to escape with.
Are you waiting for the inevitable unfortunately family photographing accident?
Waited long enough. A plan has been concocted and set in motion.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I'm somewhat distantly related to Eric the Red, though that's far enough back that it doesn't really matter.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
My family on my father's side can be traced all the way back to early 13th century, when they served as guards to Theobald I of Navarre. They're not exactly famous for it but the prestige was such that to this day we have our own coat of arms.

Also my dad was an extra in a Ron Howard movie.