Are you sad that you're going to eventually die?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Meh, I don't care. I can't believe I just said that. WTF is wrong with me??

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
I'm not bothered by it. Death's a part of life, a natural process we all gotta go through.
I honestly hope I'm awake when it happens though, as odd as that sounds. Way I see it, you can only do it once so may as well observe the process.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Inner Pickle said:
Na, bring it on. What's the point in wasting your life worrying about death? Seems counter productive to me.
You can't seriously NOT be afraid of death. You either let it bother you or get your way or you ignore it and choose to live in the moment. I choose both, I worry about death but I don't let it interfere with my daily life.

CheesusCrust

Sep 24, 2009
Haha...you foolish mortals never cease to amuse me.
Seriously though I'm pretty used to imminent death as part of my heart condition so I've had plenty of time to calm myself over the subject, so at this point I'm fine with it. Also, I'm a Christian so the whole afterlife thing...yeah.

CactiComplex

Jan 22, 2011
Nope, not in the slightest. Not only is it something beyond my control, but I've got a large handful of theories and beliefs on what comes next. If anything, I'd be quite content to go when my time came, if only to see what really does come next.

Nick Angelici

Feb 14, 2010
Nope, never, in fact, sometime I fantasize about dieing a badass, saving the world at the cost of my life, its just day dreaming so why not?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
No, because it will be difficult but it's needed to allow others (i.e. the next generation) time to enjoy life. Circle of life and all that stuff.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Death is rest for the soul".

Even to an atheist, the possibility of living forever after everything you've known and seen has passed on is equally terrifying.

What do we fear more:
Experiencing Joy/Pleasure but the inevitability of all of it ending?

Or:

Going on forever but never again experiencing joy or pleasure (the inevitable truth would hit one who is immortal eventually, assuming they don't otherwise go insane).

Since the former is obviously what exists in reality, we worry about it more.
The second option is purely hypothetical, but pretending it's true for even a moment, is so far beyond our comprehension it becomes equally frightening.

So with all that in mine, from a purely secular point of view: There is no decisive answer.

OT: I will die eventually; but until then I must live, and I've chosen to live so I can try to understand at least some infinitely tiny fraction of how our universe works.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Sad? I'm scared. the concept frightens me. I mean, I believe in an afterlife but I can't help but worry. What if I go to hell? What if I'm wrong? Are the people waiting for me there going to be disappointed?

Also, the concept occurs to me that it is our most innate instinct to fear death and thus attempt to survive. So I think when people say they aren't scared to die, then they are lying toad.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
I'm not so much worried about the death, it's the dying part. And the fact noone truly knows what happens after.
Sure, I may be too dead to care about that part when it comes to it, but I would like to know what to expect XD

Also, I'm worried that my family and/or friends may put something really stupid on my headstone. Or waste money with a 'top of the range' coffin. You get buried in it after being paraded around for an hour or so. What difference does it make how many solid gold hinges it has?
...Expensive coffins/funerals have always bugged me.