Aren't Robots Guarding Nuclear Sites a Bad Idea?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Aren't Robots Guarding Nuclear Sites a Bad Idea?

In order to cut costs, the U.S. government is using robotic vehicles to patrol the Nevada National Security Site, which stores nuclear waste, Cold War weapons and nuclear research.

At this point, I feel like we're just handing weapons over to our robot overlords. The Nevada National Security Site covers over 1360 square miles of desert that holds some of the most precious nuclear material and weapons research that our country possesses. Instead of human beings ensuring the security of such a site, the National Nuclear Security Administration now employs an autonomous vehicle program called Mobile Detection Assessment Response System or MDARS. The vehicle, according to the video, looks pretty much like a big ass camera mounted on a jeep. The vehicle can patrol on its on for up to 16 hours, but as soon as it encounters a threat, a human operator in a central bunker is notified and handles all decision-making. The operator can speak to trespassers hundreds of miles away using the two-way speaker system built-in to the MDARS.

Right now, there is only one working vehicle but the NNSA plan to roll out two more within six months. The program is all about cutting costs and will save U.S. taxpayers almost $6 million because it will get rid of the need to install cameras and close-circuit wiring in order to effectively monitor the high security site.

That all sounds great on paper, but what happens when Skynet hacks the robots to repel any human control, leaving our nuclear materials free to be plundered?

Judgment Day [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL1RE8JXaIw], that's what happens.

Source: Singularity Hub [http://singularityhub.com/2010/10/08/robots-guarding-us-nuclear-stockpile-video/]

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
considering the fact that a while ago there was posted about a pc which can learn through internet, now about robots guardian nukes?

idk about you folks, but I'm moving to my underground shelter for a while =P

Saboten

Sep 13, 2010
It looks like a Rob on steroids! *quickly grabs Pit cosplay set* I can handle 'em!

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
teh_Canape said:
considering the fact that a while ago there was posted about a pc which can learn through internet, now about robots guardian nukes?

The PC learning through the internet will probably just end up emotionally scarred and jittery and spewing irrelevant memes once it discovers 4Chan.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
teh_Canape said:

If its a Vault, mind if I join you?

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Saboten said:
It looks like a Rob on steroids! *quickly grabs Pit cosplay set* I can handle 'em!
-puts on bandana and hides the coffsweets-
'its showtime!'

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
That must be one of the most boring jobs ever, for the human operators that is. "Trespassing Coyotes, please leave this area or prepare to be ... what the hell am I saying?" -hit red button-

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Well to the rest of the world, we see it as either "Robots guard the worlds largest stockpile of nukes" or "Americans guard the worlds largest stockpile of nukes".

It's...a bit more palatable when you think of it like that.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

Fellow Escapists, I am going to try to design a powerful EMP launcher for personal defense against robots. I just hope I can complete it in time so I can hand it over to the military when the war begins.

[sub][sub]I think this is a bad idea. Technology is known for spontaneous failure. Spontaneous failure + nuclear weapons = not good for us.[/sub][/sub]

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Guys. Robot overlords will not happen because computers are stupid and cannot think. The way we create them now they will never be able to think.

The only 'threat', if you will, would be if we make a radically differently structured computer which is more like a brain than a computer, which is also able to connect and communicate with these computers, and who somehow develops an irrational hatred of humanity and all life and feels the desire to nuke us all to hell AS WELL.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Daemascus said:
I welcome they robot overlords. Please dont use my body as a battery.
And if you do, please let me live in my own virtual, customizable environment.

Also, when my body dies, would you kindly download my brain into said environment so I may live forever?

I swear I totally won't go Neo on your ass...
Can i join you guys? Oh, i wont go Neo either.

OT: Well i guess this is good. But just to be on the safe side...

I welcome! Our robotic overlord, you have a loyal and faithful serveant right here.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
TheDoctor455 said:
If its a Vault, mind if I join you?
sure, bring some cookies and a ps3 and you're welcome in

now tell me, blue overalls with big yellow numbers and characters or do you want a different style?