Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
What delicious comedy is this? A true punishment for those too cheap to actually buy the game? Outstanding! THIS is how you crack down on pirates.

But soon enough someone will figure out how to patch it and everything will return to the status quo.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
the audacity of the guy that actually complained after downloading a pirate copy is funny as hell

... the reply was win XD

NOT WILL

Sep 1, 2009
John Funk said:
Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Did you illegally download a cracked version of Arkham Asylum for the PC? Hope you enjoy playing with a Batman who has conveniently forgotten some of his moveset, rendering the game unbeatable.

Do you know what I love? Creative DRM. Any developer can throw in a mandated online check, or give you a limited number of installs, or something boring like that, but then you have developers with a cruel sense of humor who make it so that pirates have their genitals attacked by ill-tempered ferrets, and the ferrets are on fire. That's going above the call of duty right there.

Apparently, one of said developers is Rocksteady Studios, creators of critical darling Batman: Arkham Asylum. Pirates who have illegally acquired the PC version of the game will find themselves playing the game with a Batman who has apparently forgotten how to use his moves, notably the glide-jump. In an amusing little thread on the Eidos forums [http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95030], one pirate came to innocently report a bug, claiming that instead of gliding when the appropriate input was given, the Dark Knight would instead just spread his wings and fall to his death in poison gas.

Quoth an Eidos admin in response:

[blockquote]The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free.

It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.[/blockquote]

Since its acquisition of Rocksteady parent Eidos, Square-Enix has announced plans to use similar DRM in its upcoming Final Fantasy XIII, where any attempt to use magic will always result in summoning a rampaging horde of Chocobos to crush the party, the player, and anyone they've ever loved.

awsome thats is all I can say

Dreyfuss

Nov 8, 2007
As awesome as that method of DRM is, that admin gave up too much information WAY too easily.

A reply along the lines of "Batman doesn't like to play with people who steal his games," would have been far more cryptic and perhaps spooked the person posting or prompted him to continue his act so we could see just how long he'd pretend he hadn't pirated the game.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Terramax said:
It shouldn't take long for a pirate to re-program it to include all the original moves.

Not that I honestly care too much. I played the demo. It sucked. If anyone lacks a moral code, it's Eidos for releasing such an un-enjoyable pile of rubble.
Well that all comes down to opinion, I thought it was the best game of last year.