Arkham City's Fisticuffs Are Even Better In Reality

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
semal said:
jawakiller said:
I thought the choerography was great, the acting was cool but there was still one issue that I had with the clip. Call it a pet peeve, I can't stand the Action Girl (look it up in TV Tropes).

A chick who can beat down a pile of burly thugs with absolutely no muscle mass. That kind of chick.
At 65 kg spread over 177cm I'm a wimpy guy with thin arms, yet I can beat the living crap out of you, because I know how. But I've fought against women who were smaller and lighter than me and I didn't stand a chance, because they were simply way out of my league. And out of guys taller and stronger than me.

tl;dr: skill > muscle mass
I think your fudging the details there - a lightweight boxer, for instance, may have the fastest jab in the world, but he just isn't going to win against a superheavyweight. Though skill invariably is a major factor in a fight, it certainly won't negate size and strength.
Another issue is that (I presume) you are referring to martial art bouts and tournaments you have taken part in, rather than street fights. In the latter, people aren't just trying to tag or pin their opponents, they're trying to kill them. That makes a difference too.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
InterAirplay said:
jawakiller said:
A chick who can beat down a pile of burly thugs with absolutely no muscle mass. That kind of chick.
It's actually more about where and how you hit than it is about Muscle Mass. Someone that size already has enough wiry muscle to launch herself through the air like that, if the hits land in the right place then she could pull off a few devastating punches, although in real life the thugs would probably be a bit more clever about how they fought her.
Well, while there are fighting styles that allow lightweights to do some damage, many of the hits she was landing required a rather large amount of muscle. At least more muscle then she could reasonably have. So yes, you could be weak and still do alright but not that good, using that fighting style.

Just an observation. I'm not saying the clip was bad, I was just pointing out the problems I saw.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Actually I'm pretty tired of tiny girl ninjas beating up hordes of burly attackers, but to be fair, I'm not too interested in action movies in general.

Having said that, the choreography and actual performances were awesome.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I wish I hit like a girl also DAYUUUUM!!! That testicle drop looked bad!!!

Also, as a frantic student of the beutiful green beast that is Maito Gai, HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS NARUTO VS ROCK LEE LIVE ACTION FIGHT?!

TO YOUTUBE!!!

May 29, 2011
You know, they should just retcon it so that in the games, the superheroes have superpowers. I mean for fucks sake, it's better than regular human being able to survive a 30 meter fall.

nevwyn

Oct 29, 2009
I just want to know was I seeing things or when she chicken winged the guy with the bat's arm did she hit him in the back of the head with his own bat?

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
I won't take the expected low-road by commenting on how physically attractive she is
You mean, you won't, from now on? It was funny reading your article and getting to this point, because her looks had not occurred to me as a thing to think or comment about.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Why is the Escapist allergic to sex all of a sudden? She's standing in for Catwoman, for God's sake. Frankly, I'm disappointed she didn't pull off the whole thigh-neck-snap thing Catwoman did in Arkham City during stealth kills. I guess I'm creepy now.

Hmph. Women.

Vault Citizen said:
This woman kicks arse, the choreography is really impressive, what films would people recommend to me for fights like this?
The Matrix...?

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
semal said:
At 65 kg spread over 177cm I'm a wimpy guy with thin arms, yet I can beat the living crap out of you, because I know how. But I've fought against women who were smaller and lighter than me and I didn't stand a chance, because they were simply way out of my league. And out of guys taller and stronger than me.

tl;dr: skill > muscle mass
I don't think fighting people in a video game will prepare you for real fights in real life. I think physics wants to have a word with you, too. I train with my husband (occasionally, just had babies no grapplin' for me) and he's 100kg and 170cm...I think you're the bar he puts the weights on.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Why is the Escapist allergic to sex all of a sudden? She's standing in for Catwoman, for God's sake. Frankly, I'm disappointed she didn't pull off the whole thigh-neck-snap thing Catwoman did in Arkham City during stealth kills. I guess I'm creepy now.

Hmph. Women.

Vault Citizen said:
This woman kicks arse, the choreography is really impressive, what films would people recommend to me for fights like this?
The Matrix...?
Its been a while since I've seen that movie, I'd forgotten how good the fighting was.

Now can anyone answer that as if I shouldn't know the answer already?

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Too bad they all weren't shouting taunts in the exact same nearly John DiMaggio voice.