Arkham Horror,

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
On the one hand, thought new Batman game was just unveiled and it wasn't going to be in the Silver Age after all (thank god). Disappointed.

On the other, Cthulhu is awesome and I forgot all about this thing, maybe someone will suggest it's worth picking up. Cautiously optimistic?

So conflicted.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Do you mean the board game? If so, then I would say yes. My friends and I had a lot of fun with it. Be warned, however, the games are pretty long. Also, it can be very difficult. It really promotes working together with the other players, which is kinda different than most board games.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
TheCommanders said:
Do you mean the board game? If so, then I would say yes. My friends and I had a lot of fun with it. Be warned, however, the games are pretty long. Also, it can be very difficult. It really promotes working together with the other players, which is kinda different than most board games.
Yeah I understadn its long (thats what atrracted me to it because of how story basd it is, so I like co-op so then i will buy it, Thanks guys.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
southparkdudz said:
Should I buy it? Im a really big Lovecraft and Cthulhu Myths fan.
In addition to any other warnings you might be given, also be warned that the instruction manual for Arkham Horror is *terrible*.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
Schadrach said:
southparkdudz said:
In addition to any other warnings you might be given, also be warned that the instruction manual for Arkham Horror is *terrible*.
Isn't thatwhy the internet was invented?

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
If you have friends and ample patience, get it, it's a helluva lot of fun.
Word of advice: you want to control 2 characters per player instead of 1 (up to 4, so divide accordingly) because it gives you far more opportunities than just playing with 2 characters.
Also, it's not that long, around 2-3 hours, so enough time for a retry should Cthulhu triumph.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
King of Asgaard said:
Word of advice: you want to control 2 characters per player instead of 1 (up to 4, so divide accordingly) because it gives you far more opportunities than just playing with 2 characters.
Also, it's not that long, around 2-3 hours, so enough time for a retry should Cthulhu triumph.
and isnt it like Xcom where the outcome is you might lose ven if you're doing well?

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Losing whilst doing well is a very distinct possibility, especially when you start adding in expansions. I'd recommend getting and playing the base game, seeing how you feel about it, before even attempting the expansions. Heck, the base game itself is a large investment, though I will always consider it completely worth it. I recommend finding at least 1 friend willing to play on a semi-regular basis, just to get you both into the game quickly. And, as has been suggested for a 2 player format, try to play with 4 investigators split between the 2 players. Gives you some experience with different investigators/team roles, plus it keeps the game interesting and populated without getting to the double draws from more investigators.

King of Asgaard

Oct 31, 2011
southparkdudz said:
King of Asgaard said:
and isnt it like Xcom where the outcome is you might lose ven if you're doing well?
Yes, but you have ample opportunity to fix it.
What happens is, if you can't seal 6 gates that open one by one, eventually the Ancient One will awaken, and you'll be transported to a final boss fight. This can be delayed by keeping the monster population controlled and a few other ways. If you can beat him, you win, regardless of the situation in the real world.
So, if you find that you're getting overwhelmed and can't win by sealing, you should start gearing up for the fight with Cthulhu or his contemporaries.
Again, I cannot stress just how important having more characters is, as it allows you to do several things at once, and since a lot can happen in a turn, you need as much of an advantage as you can get.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
Imat said:
Losing whilst doing well is a very distinct possibility, especially when you start adding in expansions. I'd recommend getting and playing the base game, seeing how you feel about it, before even attempting the expansions. Heck, the base game itself is a large investment, though I will always consider it completely worth it. I recommend finding at least 1 friend willing to play on a semi-regular basis, just to get you both into the game quickly. And, as has been suggested for a 2 player format, try to play with 4 investigators split between the 2 players. Gives you some experience with different investigators/team roles, plus it keeps the game interesting and populated without getting to the double draws from more investigators.
Yeah I have one friend who is also a Cthulhu fan that wants to play and it is a big investment since the copy i found brand new is like $61 and the exspansion the store had was $51
King of Asgaard said:
southparkdudz said:
King of Asgaard said:
What happens is, if you can't seal 6 gates that open one by one, eventually the Ancient One will awaken, and you'll be transported to a final boss fight. This can be delayed by keeping the monster population controlled and a few other ways. If you can beat him, you win, regardless of the situation in the real world.
So, if you find that you're getting overwhelmed and can't win by sealing, you should start gearing up for the fight with Cthulhu or his contemporaries.
Again, I cannot stress just how important having more characters is, as it allows you to do several things at once, and since a lot can happen in a turn, you need as much of an advantage as you can get.
Ok King

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Arkham Horror is an amazing board game. It's simple, but complex enough to be challenging. You won't always win, but it's one of the better Fantasy Flight games to date.

Danoloto

Sep 10, 2008
Arkham Horror is in my top 3 favourite board games I've ever played. The great thing about is that you work together, so that makes a nice change from normal format of board games.
Also; once you understand it yourself, it's easy to attract new players by giving them the basic instructions without all the exact detail in strategy, because you can help them during the game without harming your own (because you're playing together).
The board will be mean to you, it will be cruel to your friends. And that makes victory all the sweeter.
Personally, I just like the fact that I can equip a nun with a machine gun.

Arkham Horror has all my thumbs up.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
southparkdudz said:
Schadrach said:
southparkdudz said:
Isn't thatwhy the internet was invented?
Pretty much, there are some good how to play videos out there. The manual really isn't good. Its confusing and a lot of it is poorly explained enough to leave you with more questions than answers. Apart from the the game itself is excellent, I love co-op board games and this really nails the Lovecraftian theme well.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
King of Asgaard said:
southparkdudz said:
King of Asgaard said:
Unless the Ancient One is that angry cloud, then its awakening is game over.

King of Asgaard

Oct 31, 2011
Shadowkire said:
King of Asgaard said:
southparkdudz said:
King of Asgaard said:
True, but it's one out of a dozen or so possible Ancient Ones, so it's not very likely.
It also has the largest time before awakening, so it's not that difficult to outrun.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
King of Asgaard said:
Shadowkire said:
King of Asgaard said:
southparkdudz said:
King of Asgaard said:
True, but it's one out of a dozen or so possible Ancient Ones, so it's not very likely.
It also has the largest time before awakening, so it's not that difficult to outrun.
so you mean ether Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth?

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
It's a good game, but if you don't have much experience with board games, you're really jumping in the deep end if you go with Arkham Horror. I've played three times, and my understanding of the rules is still hazy at best, but there's a lot to like once you get into it. Just be warned that it can be brutally unfair at times.

As another suggestion, I'd look at Mansions of Madness, which I personally prefer over Arkham Horror. The game has a strong storytelling theme, as one player is a dedicated narrator/DM, and its pretty straightforward while still allowing for some good adventuring.

Elder Sign is Arkham Horror with dice, if you're still looking for a Lovecraft fix. Unspeakable words is also Scrabble with an absurd Lovecraft twist for something short and sweet.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Arkham Horror is a fun game, but be warned, it isn't the easiest game to play. As other people have stated the instruction booklet leaves a lot to be desired and the sheer amount of pieces is pretty staggering, especially if you're relatively new to board games outside of the Milton-Bradley ones. It's still a fun game so it's worth getting if you're a Lovecraft fan but you'll definitely want to look up fan made interpretation/explanation of the rules and print a copy off for each player so you don't have to share the booklet. The other thing is just to keep everything organized, while there are a lot of pieces, not everyone will be used right away,so pull out the big ones you'll need, sanity/health tokens, terror tokens, the cards, etc. and leave the rest until you need them.

Elder Sign is a more streamlined version of the game that uses cards and dice and will probably run you no more than $40, so it may be worth checking out first and seeing if you're into this kind of board game. Also, it really helps if your players are all Lovecraft fans, otherwise people may get tired or bored or confused with the game and stop having fun.

King of Asgaard

Oct 31, 2011
southparkdudz said:
King of Asgaard said:
Shadowkire said:
King of Asgaard said:
southparkdudz said:
King of Asgaard said:
so you mean ether Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth?
I believe it's Azatoth that insta-kills you if he awakens.
This ugly son of a star: