Articulate? For a Gamer

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Articulate? For a Gamer

The business world apparently still has much to learn about the realities of gaming.

Read Full Article

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
You know, this makes me wonder: what do these people do for fun, other than video games? Golf? Watch movies?

One can only imagine.
Pink_Pirate said:
discrimination is the price we pay for our fun I suppose...
It seems that way lately.

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
I am actually disgusted that people discriminate against people who play games like this. It's bad enough that the pastime of playing games is looked upon as a waste of time, but to imply that we're all thick to boot? Incredibly insulting. I have a degree myself and I'm not so sure I would have survived uni if not for being able to blow off steam on my Xbox when the pressure got too much for me. Thank you for this insightful article, I enjoyed reading it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
sooperman said:
You know, this makes me wonder: what do these people do for fun, other than video games? Golf? Watch movies?

One can only imagine.
Pink_Pirate said:
discrimination is the price we pay for our fun I suppose...
It seems that way lately.
People relax in any number of ways...gardening, reading, sports, working on cars, exercising, playing music...what's disappointing is that they're so narrow-minded that they can't fathom that intelligent adults might enjoy something that they don't.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Good Article all around. I will revel the day when we can say "I'm sure there will still be some folks who are smart and articulate... for non-gamers." d^-^b

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Perfect example of how subjectiveness skews reality, and that we could all use a different perspective on things from to time.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Best article I've read in a long time. It's sad that my favorite past time is looked down upon by people.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Nice article indeed.
Sennz0r said:
Perfect example of how subjectiveness skews reality, and that we could all use a different perspective on things from to time.
So true. I often think it's our ability to empathise that has allowed our civilisation to develop, and the absence/repression of that ability that encourages conflict. We could all benefit from taking the time out to walk in each others' shoes for a day.

Steindorh

Sep 18, 2009
o.0 a PUBLISHER'S note? Wow... cool!

O.T.: Great article, and I agree with a lot in it - although for some reason where I come from "gamer" is considered synonymous with "intellectual" by most people, so I find that when I'm in my own country everyone expects me to be articulate (which I am, in my own opinion - and I like to think I do fine in English, as well, if I might say so), whereas I don't have to go very far for everyone to be surprised I don't talk like I'm stoned and drunk all the time, and yes, someone actually told me most gamenerds (as he called them) he knew personally seemed to have trouble forming sentences with more than a few words, and words with four syllables or more weren't exactly their favorite words.

nerdpride

Dec 15, 2009
Not a surprise at all. Gamers often discriminate against each other. Even when it's not RPG vs FPS vs RTS or casual vs hardcore. It could be something as dumb as e-peen fights. Some gaming webcomics even celebrate the stupid gamer types.

And then there's the games themselves. You think this is an amazing showcase of technology? The content is improving, but always one step behind graphics and storytelling used for movies. At least movies don't cost 60 bucks. Gameplay is available for cheap, if that's what you really wanted.

I think it's perfectly justifiable for these people to say that gamers are a bunch of dolts who make their industry by getting ripped off.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
i couldn't get past the, "long hair and body art" piece. Bull. fucking. shit.

Oh and for some reason gaming is belows a harvard prep? Gah.

I hate this. It's a freakin' bit of interactive 1's and 0's. Fuck peopel who consider it otherwise.

Thanks for being on our side.

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
It just goes to show that the people who think they know what is going on in the world, don't.

Emerging technologies has become the signpost for the future, and there are a great many people who can assert strong influence on the way we live our lives who have now learned the significance of this fact.

One of our senators thinks the internet is a "series of tubes" and likens transferring massive amounts of information as "dumping into a truck".

There are business people who would DIE if they did not have a twenty-something assistant to configure their smartphone with all their calender and contact info.

The people who run everything the way it is now did not grow up with this stuff, and as such, do not see it as relevant to they way they live because they did just fine without it for the first 30 or 50 years of their lives.

I believe it's going to take until the NES generation gets to be middle-aged that video games get fully integrated into our lives, they will be a common-place item in enough people's daily lives that they will become part of the public conscious; and raiding in WOW, or whatever MMORPG will be popular at the time, will become the new place for leisurely business conversation, whereas golf is where that happens right now.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
"..for a gamer"?

Wow, three words to perfectly illustrate how some people are just too lazy to look past stereotypes.

But, from another perspective, our generation (those of us who grew up with games and internet) is the most informed.. since ever! Not too suprising is some older people find all that tech-gamer-net confusing.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I love this story - and hate it. It reminds me that our work is not nearly done yet. Not by half.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
I very much appreciate that you did not ***** about be the target of discrimination. Instead of taking the wining line used by most of the comments thusfar, you merely state that soon enough the "Geek shall inherit the earth" (Triggerhappy938) and we will be better masters. While others hide inside a PC hole, you step forward into the fray, tell them they can have there wrong opinion, and go on to quietly kick ass.

I just wish those posting comments above and, likely, the rest of those reading silently understood.

asterismW

May 26, 2009
"Better at football"? Really? Awesome! I'm a pro level fencer in Wii Sports Resort; I think I'll try out for the Olympic team! Look for me in London in 2012!