Artists worst album.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
I'll bring up Dream Theater. I think it's widely agreed that their worst is Falling Into Infinity. Some songs are OK, but the whole thing never gets anywhere near their other works.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I like Smashing Pumpkins and most of their albums are good. Although most people would finger Adore (which is one of my favorite albums) I direct your attention to Machina/The Machines of God which is horrible. The lyrics are bad, the production is bad, and the guitar work sounds like shrill buzzsaws.

ECasThat

Nov 14, 2009
I really didn't like the album "One by One" by Foo Fighters.
I know that a lot of people like "All my life" and "Low" but they just didn't jell with me.
"Wasting light" is a close runner up but it at least has "Walk" with is one of my favorite tracks.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
The_Waspman said:
Evil Smurf said:
I missed the Open door. Derp. I am classing Anywhere but home as a separate album, because the lineup is different. no guitarist or extra keyboardist. I really love their latest album and the spin off bands Machina and we are the fallen.
I don't think the open door is bad just not as good as fallen, whereas I don't like anywhere but home. "missing" and "thoughtless" are great songs off the album though
Oh, OK, I see your point. It does have a different lineup, and I'm not disagreeing with you. Out of the albums they've released, I would say its the weakest, purely because it is (sort of) a re-release, and I'm one of those mad, sick people who thinks that live music is nowhere near as good as studio produced music.

On a more personal note, I would not be able to say which of Evanescence's albums I... like least. I was very sceptical about Fallen when released (I was all 'oh, its just another emo metal band, yawn.' because I'm extremely judgemental like that), but I gave it a chance, and enjoyed it. I loved the Open Door (it is stylistically very different, and yet still very Evanescence) and I love the new album too. If anything, I would probably say Fallen (not 'worst' so much as 'least good') but thats only because its like, ten years old now, and I prefer the style they've evolved to.

But that voice... Oh dear god that voice...
Yeah, Amy Lee's voice us the reason I keep buying the albums. Here voice has remained beautiful and she is too. Fallen was the album that made me love wailing guitars. Give a listen to the song whisper.

Nov 28, 2007
FalloutJack said:
Obligatory hatred of Bob Dylan's voice, therefore nullifying his work as a singer at all.

(He only writes well. His voice is the shrill cry of babies on meth.)
I agree. That's why I can't think of a single BD song that I preferred over its cover.

All Along the Watchtower? Jimi Hendrix wins.

Knockin' On Heaven's Door? GNR got that one.

Blowin' In the Wind? Peter, Paul and Mary.

"Eight Miles High" and "Mr. Tambourine Man"? Both better by The Byrds.

On-topic, I know this is going to get hate from Rush fans, but "Fly By Night" was a very disappointing album. The only song I kind of liked off of it was the title track.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Rawberry101 said:
And any Pink Floyd, for all their lofty heights, has Ummagumma. Awful, awful, garbage. Nuff said. Most of the stuff they wrote between Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Atom Heart Mother is pretty bad.
I would totally go for this one, but the spectacular live half of the album at least partially redeems it.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Imthatguy said:
Metallica's St. Anger there was nothing worth listening to on the album even the Load albums had a few catchy tunes but St. Anger just sucked.
I expected Metallica to come up but I didn't expect it to be the first reply :p

OT: I'll go ahead and add Death Magnetic. It was supposed to be a return to form for Metallica and it's just... awful. These guys used to be the kings of thrash but they just refuse to play thrasy music anymore.
Death Magnetic was an uninspired disappointment that they made because fans were crying about how they weren't metal anymore. Load, Reload, and St. Anger were made with the passion that comes with musical experimentation. Trying to be "that angry thrash band" when you're a bunch of billionaires just doesn't work. If the artist isn't feelin' his own music, how the fuck is the audience supposed to? If Metallica, or Lars and James rather, just go and do what they feel like, their music will be all the better for it.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
thebobmaster said:
FalloutJack said:
Obligatory hatred of Bob Dylan's voice, therefore nullifying his work as a singer at all.

I agree. That's why I can't think of a single BD song that I preferred over its cover.

On-topic, I know this is going to get hate from Rush fans, but "Fly By Night" was a very disappointing album. The only song I kind of liked off of it was the title track.
Hmm. I think the original version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" was better than this version:

BBQ Platypus

Sep 23, 2008
thebobmaster said:
FalloutJack said:

I'm one of those people who doesn't agree with that little bit of popular received wisdom. His voice certainly isn't good in the conventional sense, but he writes his songs around this limited voice, and I think very few people captured the essence of his songs the way his wheeze-voice did.

The only Bob Dylan cover I prefer to the original is "All Along the Watchtower," and Hendrix couldn't sing worth a shit either (again, if we're talking in the conventional sense). The PPM and Byrds covers are all pleasant enough, but they're dated to the 60s in a way that Dylan's versions...aren't. Also, GNR's version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is piss-awful.

Getting back on topic, I'll nominate John Lennon's Sometime in New York City. In which one of the greatest and most respected songwriters of all time decides to forego writing melodies in favor of the most insipid, uninspiring "protest" songs I've ever heard. With the exception of the opening song ("Woman is the ****** of the World") none of them hit the mark. The lyrics are cringe-inducingly on-the-nose - none of them have those rousing choruses or turns of phrases that capture the feeling of the age that a good protest song has. And of course, it's slathered with a giant steaming pile of Yoko. And even that isn't as bad as the *shudder* live disc, which among other things features a long jam with the Mothers of Invention that goes absolutely nowhere.

It just goes to show you that even when you're really talented and work really hard (and John clearly put a lot of work into this album), you won't always turn out something good. Nobody's perfect, and STiNYC is proof positive of that.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
How did I know this would turn into a Lulu/St. Anger thread in seconds. Btw, Lulu is by far worse.

Speaking of Lou Reed and pretentious B.S., Metal Machine Music. To describe to you why it's bad would detract from what it actually sounds like. Listen, if you dare.

I win this thread.
I saw Metal Machine Music performed live...you don't just win this thread, you win the internet.

I haven't read everything yet but if Pork Soda hasn't been mentioned it deserves honorable mention. A great, turgid, Primus-loving chunk of my soul died when I first listened to that album.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Going against the grain and saying Led Zeppelin's worst album is not In Through The Out Door, but Presence. The first four tracks are great, but it goes down hill from there with two average rockers ("Candy Store Rock", "Hots On For Nowhere") and a boring remake of "Since I've Been Loving You" ("Tea For One").

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Benpasko said:
Snippy bit got snipped!

On a related note, have you ever heard of Them Crooked Vultures? It's a side project with Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, and John Paul Jones. There's only one album afaik, but it's one of my favorite albums of all time.
Tip of that hat to you for bringing the superb TCV up!

OT, err with my ecletic taste in music I'll say Dave Beefoven's 3rd wasn't as strong as his 2nd
(Cookies for the ref!)

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity was a hazardous 'safe' endeavor that I just want to forget. Thank god they didn't go into the 'safe' route; we wouldn't have gotten the awesomeness that is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Let's just add all of their music that would have been lost if DT followed the safe path. :D

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
The Beatles- yesterday and today or Let it Be
REM- Around the Sun
Bob Dylan- Self Portrait
U2- October
lou reed- Machine Metal Music or Lulu
Metallica- Lulu

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Yeah, Amy Lee's voice us the reason I keep buying the albums. Here voice has remained beautiful and she is too. Fallen was the album that made me love wailing guitars. Give a listen to the song whisper.
I love Whisper! Every album needs to end with a track like that. Its one of the things I love about Evanescence is that their songs have a kind of dark intensity to them.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Imthatguy said:
Metallica's St. Anger there was nothing worth listening to on the album even the Load albums had a few catchy tunes but St. Anger just sucked.
Came to say this, see its the second post.

Yep.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Imthatguy said:
That was the one that had the "kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill" song.
I used to listen to that one just because it was so ridiculous.

OT: I'm not sure. I don't listen to enough artists completely to really say.
New Again was Taking Back Sunday's weakest (unless they've released something since than.
I'm also not a big fan of Pink Floyd's The Wall. I know it's all special and what-not, but it's like listening to a movie--because it was meant to go with the movie--and there isn't much you can just listen to.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
The_Waspman said:
Evil Smurf said:
I love Whisper! Every album needs to end with a track like that. Its one of the things I love about Evanescence is that their songs have a kind of dark intensity to them.
That's why I love their latest album. It is all heavy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Imthatguy said:
I was going to say Thornography by Cradle of Filth but you know what? St. Anger wins out because more people know about it and hated it, me included. I absolutely hated Thornography but at least there was...maybe 2 or 3 tracks on it worth listening to. St. Anger was just nothing but a cascade fail.

Hylke Langhout said:
Vault101 said:
..and they REALLY dont like lulu

in fact I've never seen so much universal hatred of one album
Here is my 5 minute thesis on why Lulu is a terrible album:
I didn't know about this...will anyone begrudge me for calling Metallica the Sonic the Hedgehog of the music industry? Ride the Lightning being Sonic 2, Black being Sonic Adventure, etc?