Arty Games

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I think someone struck from the Ebert mold (if they didn't break it) will never be able to appreciate video games of any artistic quality because of the inherent lack of visual fidelity compared to what a camera captures. Pixelation, artifacts, clipping, texture smoothing, model animations and the ultimate effect of the uncanny valley all betray the technology that empowers games, and to someone with a cinema-centric eye this all will prove to be a barrier to total appreciation, regardless of it being completely beside the point. We overlook these short-comings of the medium because we are engaged with it on its own terms - Ebert makes his living engaging with cinema on its own terms and can't be expected to shift his entire mind-set to overcome the differences in presentation. Ebert is proof that even the finest examples of artistry in a new medium cannot sway the old guard simply because of the biases inherent with that position.

That said, I'd sit him down with Portal. The puzzle-solving would ease him into the discovery mechanics of immersive gaming and after a while I would hope he'd develop an appreciation of the atmosphere and the ability of the environment and experience to communicate with the player in a way that most films only aspire to. But I'm sure that even if he enjoyed the experience, he ultimately would conclude that it was satisfying and stimulating but not moving on the level of any film he'd seen, because that's just who he is.

Seth Kleinpaste

May 1, 2010
I agree with Shadow of the Colossus fans. It's quite simply all about impressing you visually (color, lighting, shape and size are all well represented), and using your other senses to draw you in. And there are those moments where your guts turn to ice: falling off the bird (or any of the tall ones), losing sight of the electric eel and not knowing where he is in the dark water, the horse dying, etc.

I have to say that Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is very good - especially with the interesting plot moves (or magic). It is extremely good at drawing you in. Perhaps not a good one to start someone with, but how many people get all the movie jokes in Inglourious Basterds or Sukiyaki Western Django? Thats right - all the movie junkies.

I also have to point out that the Zelda series is really good to start someone on, and is very visually appealing. It has a plot - perhaps childish, but it does exist- it has good, (sometimes) simple puzzles, and the controls are some of the easiest to learn. I especially think that The Windwaker was artsy, at least in a comic book or children's style. But there is nothing about being a children's game that makes it illegitimate as art.

Seth Kleinpaste

May 1, 2010
TraderJimmy said:
For me, it has to be Myst, Riven, Bioshock...hmm. I have to confess I'm stuck after that. Portal was interesting.
How could I forget Myst?!?!? I never even finished it and i love it! good plot, wonderful world, characters you had to piece together to learn about.

sorry for posting twice, but i had to support that.

mikeybaby1986

Mar 30, 2010
Personally, if I were inclined to show off the idea of games as art to someone, I'd go to some of the games in my psn collection. Don't really play 360 but i'm sure there's great examples on there too.

One that a few people have pointed out is flower (i'd put flow too, but think flower takes it's positives and does everything far better) . Just looking at it is you play is a wowing experience, not to mention the score that accompanies it. Navigating with the motion controls makes it feel more free flowing and the whole experience is one that I find calming. It doesn't necessarily evoke an emotional response or have any deeper meaning, but the effect is still profound and beautiful. Of course it's no great feat to play either, you can shove a controller in anyone's hand and let them try it out for themselves. These aren't the only reasons I'd select it though. It helps to break down that simplistic idea that games are all about progression, points scoring and accomplishment. Though you do play through distinct levels and have goals in a way, the lack of any puzzling elements, inherent difficulty or punishment for failure means that progression cannot be viewed as an achievement. I defy anyone to find someone that would proclaim "yes, I managed to beat flower". In order to see games as anything other than competition (either with other players, the game or your own high scores), this example breaks that down entirely, and perhaps potentially leads them open to the suggestions that games can offer something entirely different, for example, offer art :).

Not PSN but I'd say the same for the Path, I only played one scenario and found it very haunting. Played the 15 year olds campaign till I found her "wolf" round a mates place. The ending was quite disturbing I must say, but it does offer an experience rather than a challenge. A plus side to using this is that recreations, reimaginings or rerenderings, whichever term suits you best, of things like children's tales and offering them up as allegories for something deeper and darker within human nature or society seems something that critics would view as of artistic merit. The fact that much, in terms of meaning, doesn't seem to be explicitely stated, allowing interpretation to be in the hands of the player (at least that seemed the case in the scenario I played), art often aspires to these goals.

Another I'd look at is echochrome. First is I believe it's actually inspired by one of the worlds the most recognisable artistic images, instantly putting art in the mind of the player. Second is it's unique gameplay mechanic. Making paths and hiding and uncovering holes and jumps, changing camera angles so you fall upwards or jump downwards or whichever way you want. That something so simple carries with it so many options makes it both simple for anyone to try, but layered with complexity you can't help but admire. If that doesn't call forth an argument for games as being of artistic value, it certainly gives credence to the idea that gaming is of higher value than much of it's press gives it credit for.

Final one is linger in the shadows. Okay, even the devs don't consider it a game, but being on a gaming platform, and still involving to some extent (miniscule, but still there) interactivity. Once again because it shakes of the idea of games requiring goals and such. After all, the idea is to progress through a 6 minute clip of bizarre imagary by rewinding time, changing camera angles, and that's really it. You don't even need to do it either, as there is an option to just watch the whole clip as it is. But fiddling with these mechanics adds to the experience. More than anything it eccentuates the point that interactivity can strengthen an experience.

The great thing about these specific examples (i'm sure there's plenty I've missed but you know, can't look at everything) is that they don't rely heavily on things like plot and action in a way that many other literary or artistic forms do, and therefore showcase the individual artistic aspects that are possible only within the medium of gaming.

Of course, underlying this whole thing is a big "why should we care?" Same old thing, if you think games are art, you shouldn't need to justify your claim with such vehemence. With games especially this seems to happen (probably because unlike most other forms, it's universally unregarded as an artistic format, therefore, the minority that do feel their voices need to be heard). The competitive element drew me to gaming in the beginning, as i've seen the possibilities of expanding into new territories, I've wanted to see what other unique experiences gaming can offer. As a general rule, like with everything though, you need to be within the scene in order to explore it, so for the time being at least, videogames aren't going to be viewed as art from non-gamers. But far more optimistic the Ebert meself, I think the more examples the future has to showcase, and the more people that try it out, the more likely it is to be recognised as an artistic medium, and I don't think that point is too far away.

Mooshman

May 2, 2010
When arty games spring to mind I instantly picture Bioshock.

I'm not going to mention what people have said about Rapture bleeding atmosphere... From the steps of the Big daddy echoing through the ruins of a once vibrant city or "La Mer" playing as you kick your way through yet another ravaged area of the game.

No, when it comes to Art in games, just one scene springs to mind.

~ If you haven't completed Bioshock as of yet, would you kindly not read the spoilers below ~

In fort frolic, Sander Cohen (or Sander 'fucking' Cohen to the ladies) snaps once you place the 3rd picture on his masterpiece. A fight ensues, the usual "kill-all-the-enemies-to-continue" room...

-then "Waltz of the flowers starts to play"

I first thought the use of the song was gimmicky and quite cliche, (acrobatic enemies + classical music = done to death in every medium) but something dawned on me:

Due to the speedy nature (and ballet-like dodging) of the splicers, the player has to quickly weave to dodge their attacks, and frantically spin to keep sight of the foes....

I was dancing to the music, in order to survive... just like all the other faceless enemies in that room, I was dancing to Sanders tune.

I know its rather subjective, and not everyone who played that scene got the same message or experience as me, but isn't that what art is?

I've stared at paintings and movies that have given me a message that other people haven't gained, but to be in the driving seat and be immersed in the game and actually in control when this realisation hit me it was so powerful. Movies can whisper, but games have the potential to scream.

Other games have had that effect on me, but since they've been brought up over 90 times it seems superfluous to mention them at this stage.

TL;DR - OMFG!!!! RAPTURE IS LIEK S00 AMAZIN!

Angrywyvern

Sep 30, 2008
I've read all sorts of press concerning the "games are art" argument as of late, but I haven't heard anyone say anything about The Path. I find this strange, because The Path seemed to be one of the most artsy games I've ever heard of, just because it didn't focus on really anything but getting the artistic message across, and providing an atmosphere that really stimulated the senses.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
When I was doing this to my friend, I showed them Flower (which they loved and played till the end) and then Portal (which they loved and played till the end). Right now I'm trying to get them through Half-Life 2.

Z-Ri

Nov 9, 2009
There is a gamecube game called Whirl Tour; I found a copy of it in a bargin bin at Menards for something like three bucks. It is the best (first) skateboarding/scooter game I have ever played, and I would recommend it to a new comer in a heartbeat.

The game is easy enough to learn, and puts some reel imagination into the skating envoirments and objectives. I don't know how far it goes in the "Games as art" debate, but its a great little gem for those looking for an access point into the skatboarding genre, or even games as a whole.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
Has Shadow of the Colossus been said? Shadow of the Colossus has probably been said. In fact, I KNOW someone out there has already said, "Shadow of the Colossus".

I'm saying it anyways.

From it's beautiful, minimalist take on the classic "Save the Princess" story trope to the jaw-dropping gorgeous and often epic set pieces and scenery, SotC can at the same time fill the player with feelings of both grand heroism and sad serenity. But what makes SotC a true success is how it manages to convey a grand and emotionally charged story with little to no dialogue, while turning the audience's expectations of what a hero is on its head. Never before have I looked upon the face of a giant boss monster and felt regret about what had to come next.

Plenty of games task you with killing your adversaries. Far too few ask you to contemplate their deaths.

P.S. And I am going to play The Last Guardian until my eyes bleed.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
The Path is very moving and disturbing at times.
I'd like to submit The Graveyard as a "game" that is "Art".
Although there isn't much game to it.

SheerShere

May 2, 2010
If I ever had to convince someone that games are art I would instantly whip out Machinarium.

http://machinarium.net/demo/

Click the link, play the demo and tell me it isn't art. And buy the full version, the creators deserve it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What? No Morrowind. Well, Morrowind was more artistic in its fantastic sense of architecture...*drools at Telvanni towers*

Jun 11, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Arty Games

Five games to use in your next discussion about whether or not games are art.

Read Full Article
I'm just curious as to why Ico and Shadow of Colossus were left out. As if any games could qualify as art I definitely think these two games would be up for it. Obivously you can't say or account for every game as being art but I think these two qualify. Although I can see why Bioshock was left out.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I'm playing through "The Longest Journey" now. It's worth it for the story and characters, despite the fact that I really really really really really hate "old-school" point-and-click adventures. A lot of it comes down to trying object A on object B and hoping that you're right, and as usual there's only one solution to every puzzle. I mean, using a gold ring on a pair of electrical cables? Using an inflated rubber ducky on a clamp? Who the hell DOES that?

That said... in terms of character, atmosphere, just about everything other than gameplay, it is a fantastic achievement. So yeah, I'd agree with that one. The others I haven't played.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Not a Spy said:
I'd say GTA 4, while not arty in the traditional sense, (IE:you must wear a beret whilst discussing it's merits) was one of the most emotionally evocative games I've ever played. I'd also second Seamus's pick of Jade Empire, and I'd make an argument for STALKER: SOC. While it doesn't have any great characters or bright colors, it's got the hands down most pervasively creepy and desperate atmosphere of any game. Ever. Even more than Silent Hill 2 IMHO.

E
Good for mentioning S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Easily among my favorite series on the PC. I also agree with what you have to say about GTA4.

If I were to try introducing games as art to someone, I only have two games I would show them; Bioshock and Little Wheel

http://www.kongregate.com/games/fastgames/little-wheel

theklng

May 1, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Arty Games

Five games to use in your next discussion about whether or not games are art.

Read Full Article
the entire point of this article is moot. you could have shown any examples, and they would still have been classified as art. art is and will be subjective. different things will always mean differently towards individual people.

this is my biggest gripe with anyone such as that guy who is causing all the commotion (i forget his name): it's subjective, so why make a statement on it at all? it's redundancy, really.

i forgot to mention: anyone who wants to be a critic for a living should have it imprinted in their minds that they are formulating subjectivity. i'm not sure whether american standards dictate that a label should be put on every piece of equipment stating, "experience may vary", or not.

Taneer

Sep 1, 2008
Damn, I was thinking Portal AND Silent Hill 2 the whole time. Nice moves, this one won me over.

Shankity Stick

64l\/l3r fr0l\/l 81rtl-l
Jul 16, 2009
Personalty i think Metroid Prime could also be considered an Artistic game.
Between the Environments, Creatures, and the Soundtrack...
It was an amazing experience, and still is. (This is a quote. I tryed to crop is and messed it up)
Some thing I don't think people get is art in a video game and art in, say, a painting are two very different things. Paintings have to look good and have good asthetics, where as a video game can look like pixelized tire and still be art. Most (if not all) browser baced experimental games like today I die can be considered art because they make you feel something profound, and that is my defenition of art.

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
Every game nowadays can be considered art. Each poligon, texture and character model on most mainstream games nowadays are put together with a lot of effort to visually provoking, and that's just graphic art, but there's still the writing, which is used to "set the mood" with a lot of games, the music and, well, everything.