Asexuals and low sex drives

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I have to admit that I've always wondered if I was asexual. I haven't been attracted to anyone since middle school but I do have a sex drive.

Granted, I used to be able to feel attracted to people in middle school but I also went through some really intense bullying to the point where I keep myself pretty distant from people even thirteen years later. So I'm wondering if it's a case of actually being asexual or just some sort of subconscious defence mechanism.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Asexual is a terrible term - they have a sex, (Male or Female) - they just don't engage in sexual activity and have no desire to engage. Rather than having a low libido, they have an absent libido.

The Opposite of an Asexual would be a Nymphomaniac or someone with "Hypersexuality".

Should asexual be an orientation? Well, I suppose so. They're orientated to not finding anything sexually interesting. But you could look at it another way and say they have an absence of any orientation whatsoever.

As for how is it different from platonic love..... it isn't. You can love someone as an "asexual", but the entire thing about being "asexual" is that they do not have sexual feelings for others, thus all their relationships are platonic.

I'm not "asexual". I do have a low libido. I'm straight, but I honestly can't find it in me to seek out a relationship. I've never had a sexual relationship in my life, and while I am not opposed to the idea of marrying someone and having children, it's very low on my list of priorities. Sexual relationships as a whole are very low on my list of priorities, and because of that I fear that I would be a terrible husband for whatever girl who was unfortunate enough to marry me. I find the rest of the world so much more interesting than sex, movies and spending time with someone talking about how their day is. I like people, overall, but prolonged intimate contact with people is something I dread. I can hold a conversation for 30 minutes, but after that... I honestly just don't feel like talking anymore. I like spending time by myself. I like silence. I can go for hours without wanting to talk, and sometimes I prefer not talking and will actively avoid conversations.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I know this girl who claimed she was asexual. She said she would find people "pleasant to look at" but wouldn't have a distinct sexual attraction towards them. Then she met this guy, and from what I hear they are remarkably active.
Sometimes it could just be a case of finding the right person. That, or they are not sure of who they are sexually. Or of course, they truly don't have any distinct sexual urges. It's entirely possible. It's hard to understand why a person is a certain way if you can't feel that way yourself.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
After having read through some of the asexual threads from this forum, I think I can say one of my friends is this (this is just conjecture, basing their behavior on what's been said).

Even before reading this thread, I would've said people who aren't sexually attracted to anybody. Seems like there is a range, and my definition only fits part of that. As for the rest of the stuff, I can't say since I'm not asexual. Only recently have I had my libido going off a lot, and I know my orientation well at this point. I do want to have sex at some with a romantic partner, but that's not for this thread.

From reading the thread, probably best to say it's just people who aren't sexually attracted to anything. May not fit everything, but it's a quick and to the point definition.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
This might be really off topic, but am I the only one who has a problem with the nomenclature in regards to the term 'asexual' as it pertains to human beings? It always puts images in my head of people dividing like cells to reproduce. Weird, strangely arousing images...

Okay, I'm probably the only one with this issue.