Ashamed to be part of the gaming community some days (like today).

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
From Destructoid:

http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtml?s=50#comments

Jennifer Hepler is hated by people on the Internet, as Destructoid reader Ben recently informed us. That's not unusual in itself, as there are few public figures who aren't hated by a significant cross-section of the online population. However, when you consider what Hepler did -- or didn't do -- it certainly is a puzzle as to why she's despised with such pure, unfettered venom. She wrote for Dragon Age and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Hepler is a BioWare writer and woke up one day to discover the entire Internet hated her. A number of online communities recently started dogpiling on the lady, accusing her of "ruining" BioWare games with her writing. She's also received a lot of heat for admitting that she doesn't like to play games -- certainly a requirement if your job is to craft narrative (sarcasm).

By far her greatest "crime" was suggesting that games should let the player skip combat, stating: "Games almost always include a way to "button through" dialogue without paying attention, because they understand that some players don't enjoy listening to dialogue and they don't want to stop their fun. Yet they persist in practically coming into your living room and forcing you to play through the combats even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue."

Whether you agree or disagree, it's not like she cut a toddler's achilles tendons with a rusty scalpel. Still, however, this is the Internet.

Everything came to a head a few days ago. Hepler decided to join Twitter, but within fourteen Tweets she has already asked support if she can delete her account. It seems that gamers caught a whiff of her Twitter presence, and everything went to shit.

Hundreds of messages have been sent to Hepler, as a simple Twitter search shows. Many choose to attack her writing and ability to craft characters. A staggering number focus on her physical appearance, choosing to call her such delightful names as "fat *****" and "obese ****." Some want to know why she's "obsessed with shoehorning homosexual relationships down gamer's throats."

Poor Hepler did not exactly help her case, publicly stating: "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." Unfortunately, that opened the doors for even more spiteful commentary, because everybody knows you can't defend yourself on the Internet -- especially if you mention that you have a vagina.

Everything seemed to come to a head with studio GM Aaryn Flynn getting involved. After one user called Hepler "the cancer that is killing BioWare," Flynn retorted by calling him a "fucking moron." So now BioWare is accused of treating customers disrespectfully, and the moron in question is going on a crusade and talking about his hurt feelings. Nevermind that he started the insulting tone of the conversation.

Because that's what gamers do, if this behavior is to be believed. Attack individuals en masse, forgetting they are people, and then acting betrayed when their victims have the nerve to bite back. It's all very well expecting "professional conduct" from a developer when a customer is angry, but when anybody's being demolished by a rampant tsunami of abuse, I don't think there's any amount of professional expectation that makes it unacceptable to lose one's cool and say something in return.

It is the height of entitlement to believe you can say whatever you want, as hurtful as you like, and expect not a word of a retort. Those gamers now acting butthurt because Flynn and Hepler responded to the abuse are as cretinous and pathetic as one can get. The fact that this surrounds BioWare -- a studio known for making more adult games -- makes it all the more sad.

Whether you like Hepler or not (I've not been a fan of most of BioWare's stories, period), this level of treatment towards a single person is never warranted, and it should make the gaming community utterly ashamed of itself. This is the kind of behavior that justifies the FOX News stereotype of the basement dwelling, antisocial nerd. This is the kind of behavior that makes the Spike VGAs look like the perfect gamer show -- because it's crass, immature, and it sports the emotional depth of a wet paper towel. That's how gamers look when something like this happens.

You know what, though? Having a vagina and an industry job is a pretty sweet two-punch. I'm pretty jealous myself.
I do not care if her response was not 'professional'. There are simply no excuses for the bullshit flung at Hepler. It's little wonder (however ill-advised) she retorted to the mob of self-entitled dipshits and trolls.

What in god's name causes people to regress into a pack of morons?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
The problem is most gamers commune through the Internet, which means their thinking is very easily tainted with Internet mindsets (such as "If I don't like it, then obviously it's evil and deserves to be given the most cruel insults I can think of" and "It's alright to hate an individual who was involved in a project even though I'm not sure if they had direct control over their contributions to the project." Unfortunately, this is Godwin's Law of the Internet at its finest. And really this is what happens on the Internet every second of every day. The only difference is we've got a name and a face to the recipient of the abuse.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Why would I be ashamed of something someone else has done. I don't agree with either side on this (people shouldn't have insulted hepler over nothing, GM shouldn't have trash talked customers)

But why does this have to reflect poorly on gamers in general? I didn't throw insults at anyone at bioware or even know who wrote these stories before today, why should I be ashamed of myself or allow FOX news to stereotype me as a basement dweller.

being a gamer isn't some club you join when you buy an xbox or playstation, If I tweet about how much twilight sucks and some kid cries over it would you blame the 'film community' as being immature? no you would blame me for being immature.

the reason I don't watch the VGA's or G4 is because I hate how people still think that a gamer is one type[/b] of person. just because you like to play games doesn't mean you behave or think a certain way.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
I've never heard of Jenifer Hepler before, but from the post, I see two reasons why people hate her. Both are absolutely moronic.

1) She 'ruined Bioware' with her writing. I have no idea how she did this, as every Bioware game I've played has had amazing writing. In any case, the writing certainly hasn't gotten worse since she joined.

2) She said that it would be nice to have the option to skip combat sections of a game. The option! I don't see why people who don't like games much but still want to enjoy the story of Dragon Age or Mass Effect have to play through the combat. Since when was having options a bad thing? It's not like you have to skip the combat sequences.

But this is the internet, and the internet is full of jackasses. I'm just hoping this dies down soon so she doesn't get harassed anymore.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, it's pretty gross. The thought that I share a hobby with such people is not a comfortable one.

In some ways, the worst part is that there is no way she would have been targeted like that if she wasn't an overweight female.

Oh look, someone was kind enough to ninja me with a timely example. The post above mine is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

VincentR

Apr 17, 2011
Also, as I saw someone point out over on Kotaku, the idea she suggested of being able to skip combat has already been implemented in at least one game I can think of - L.A. Noire. If you fail a mission too many times (maybe 2 - 3?), it gives you the option to just skip the game-play and advance to the next story section. And last I heard, that game was pretty well received - no one spouting non-sense about the end-times because of skipping game-play.

Also, I hadn't seen her retort before now - all I had been aware of was the "Fuck you" statement by the GM manager, or something like that. And that was in response to, no doubt, a particularly absurd insult towards Hepler. And of course, the first response to that was something along the lines of "way to be mature". Oh god, internet, you so crazy.

Anyway, in regards to her retort - people are upset about it because it is almost certainly true of anyone who could act like this in response to a REDDIT post, that was EDITED AND INCORRECT in order to make her statement appear different/worse than it was. And I admit, I just laughed my a** off at her comment. She doesn't have to be polite to people who are calling her, tweeting her, emailing her, and finding every possible way of making her life miserable.

ERGH, I'm raging.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
gaaahhh..this is awful

I also got that when I hears about them banning females from the battelfeild 3 LAN thing..because its OK for guys to act liek disgusting little hob-goblins around females

DeadSp8s said:
lol, that guy is trolling Flynn hard. I hope that fat *****'s video game industry life ends because of this...and I have a girlfriend.
I....dont even know what to say about this...REALLY?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
thatonedude11 said:
1) She 'ruined Bioware' with her writing. I have no idea how she did this, as every Bioware game I've played has had amazing writing. In any case, the writing certainly hasn't gotten worse since she joined.

youre new here arnt you?

a quick lession

1. Bioware are going down the drain
2. EA are the anti-chirst and Bioware are their little helper
3. ME2 was a steaming pile of CRAP
4. DA2 THE WORST FUCKING ABOMINATION KNOWN TO MAN
5. ME3 is going to be the worst game in the existant of videogames
6. Bioware SUCK and have murded your gramdmother and pissed on her grave
7. that screen shot of a possible new Bioware game is from a COD style FPS with a horrile story and wrting with HORRBIEL charachters that will be worse than DA2 and ME3 combined..(no dont argue with me I KNOW this I can tell from the colour they used)

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Anthraxus said:
"Share similar interests with people who behave like that"

LOL. What does that even mean ?

Oh man, I can't believe I share the same interest with that serial killer. He liked watching movies too.
Mother of God...

Srsly though, while it's off-putting that there are gamers out there who pull bullshit like this, I've made peace with it by accepting that I am not like that, and I cannot change the behaviors of others.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
7. that screen shot of a possible new Bioware game is from a COD style FPS with a horrile story and wrting with HORRBIEL charachters that will be worse than DA2 and ME3 combined..(no dont argue with me I KNOW this I can tell from the colour they used)
I know you're being sarcastic here, but we actually know what that game is now.

It's Command & Conquer: Generals 2, being made by an unrelated studio upon whom EA have slapped the Bioware label. This has presumably been done in the hope of getting some free good will, ignorant or perhaps wilfully blind to the fact that they are steadily eroding that good will with every passing day.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
DeadSp8s said:
I hope that fat *****'s video game industry life ends because of this...
Because she wants to see combat be skippable? Should the guy who thought skipping past cutscenes be hated as well? Oh wait, you want to lambast her for this "poor public relations" fiasco, huh?
Well, the problem with that is this isn't public relations, this was her personal twitter. Her personal twitter account that was actually seiged by rabid "fanboys" of the company she works for. If your twitter account was seiged by people making remarks about you and how your suck at your job (despite the fact they haven't done it - and probably couldn't) you wouldn't get a bit pissed off?
She negatively stereotyped her target market via social media. People get fired for that mindless shit every day.
There is always an exception to the rule. Self defense usually gets a "pass". Most would say understandably so. People need to learn to vote with their wallets and not by acting ignorant online. I bet half of the people bashing her on twitter couldn't write a cohesive and entertaining short story if their life depended on it. The other half probably couldn't spell cohesive.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Seeing posts like this amuses me every time. Come on, people. It's the internet with all that it entails. It's as if Beiber had gotten a facebook account or some other currently hated person had gone public. You think they wouldn't get this sort of treatment?

Whenever she made that twitter account, she should have known the response. All you have to do to know of the whole internet rage thing is google her damn name or look up an interview she's in on youtube. Yes, fine, that shouldn't have happened...etc. But if you expect civility and manners on the internet, you should start browsing through it some more.