Ask a detective/undercover cop

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
ShatteredBlack said:
1) When working undercover, how far are you permitted to go to maintain your cover? That is, are you permitted you commit 'lesser' crime in order to apprehend your target(s)?

2) What is the policy for eating on-shift?

I ask because my cousin, who works uniform in the South Australian Police, is often forced to eat junky take-away food while on shift and even then, only when in the patrol car.

3) Does each shift of detectives retire to the designated police bar at the end of the day, or have we been decived by crime shows (yet again!)?
You are not supposed to commit any crimes. You're not even supposed to drink alcohol (if you do you have to write a long report explaining why you had no choice.) If a crime is serious enough we have to find some way to stop it. Without blowing cover if possible. These are usually the most tense and frightening moments of being undercover. It?s easier than it sounds to not commit any crimes though.

Eating on shift... Well, clean up after yourself and do it when you can is pretty much it. A lot of cops fall into the bad habit of eating at fastfood places, especially when they're in a patrol car. This is true that some departments have a policy that you eat in the car. Ours didn't though. Most of the time I would make a lunch for myself of items that don't need to be heated or refrigerated, which doesn't give you much variety. (Hmmm PB&J sandwich again) That's one perk of being a detective we hang around the station and can use the break room so we don't have to eat garbage as often. FYI: The massive weight gain that can come from all that junk food and sitting is called 'the cruiser spread'.

There are certain bars or restaurants that cops will prefer. Usually they are local owned places. It?s differs from town to town. Ours is called ?The Eleven Worth Café? it?s pretty cliché looking. Neon signs, red stools by the counter, and everything. Pretty sure the building/resturaunt are at least 60 years old.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Ganthrinor said:
How do police detectives feel about Private Investigators in general? Can they be a hinderance or a help to the "average" police detective?

Also, in what ways, if any, are PI's related to the police?
Many PI's are one of the following three things
1) retired cop (many cops retire very young)
2) FIRED cop (once you get kicked off one department good luck getting on another
3) really fat guy

Previously most private investigators did a handful of things mostly finding missing people/spying on someone in particular.
With the advent of the internet few PI's are used anymore to find an orphan's parents.
Ask any PI what most of thier jobs are and 9 times out of 10 they will tell you "I see if someone's wife/husband is cheating on them." Hey, they got to go where the money is. Sure, they occasionally get to investigate a murder or something that never went anywhere but that's rare. Thing is most people that get murdered are (oh boy another list!)
1) poor
B) have a criminal record
3) don't have anyone who has money to hire a PI

Most detectives have a very derisive attitude toward's PIs. Calling them 'homewreckers'.

However, when you work as an investigator for a company (like my brother does for Union Pacific Railroad.) That is technically also a PI. It's just you only have on clients. Some places like to call this position 'loss prevention' or something like that. Guess employees don't like feeling like the company has a detective just in case they decide to steal shit.

Isalan said:
Awesome thread, keep up the good work and so on.
Ok, kind of strange question. Whats your favourite police based film/movie? Oh, and if you haven't watched Hot Fuzz, go watch that before you answer :)
You mean BESIDES Hot Fuzz?
I usually like crime movies where it's more about the criminal. They tend to be more exiciting. [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_French_Connection_(film)]The French Connection[/a] pretty much set the standard for all other films like that to follow. Plus it was loosely based on truth.

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
Do you actually wear a trench coat and a fedora?
In all seriousness, how satisfied do you feel with your job, i.e. do you actually feel like you're putting people behind bars? From what I've seen on cop shows and a statistic I heard saying most cops became alcoholics, it doesn't seem like your job satisfaction would be that great.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Well honestly for all the bagging cop shows get it comes down to drama vs. realism, I like to style myself an amateur novelist (that is someone with a dozen unpublished crap manuscripts), and when it comes down to it as much as I rant and rave about inaccuracies in TV/Movies/Books about subjects I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable (tech for example), I understand that sometimes you have to ditch the realism a little to get the story moving along a bit.

Anyway back on topic, a few questions;

If you have to give an educated guess, what would be the average education level of police detectives? High School or University?

If you could pick any common "detective tool" from police fiction and bring it to life what would it be?

What would be the most satisfying aspect of your job?

How common it is, given you said you have a large Sudanese population in your city, for people from other cultures to "clam up" around cops when a crime is committed? Police shows always show immigrant communities being afraid of the police due to experiences in their home lands.

How common is it for a truly vile (i.e child molester) to "trip" in a police station? And is there any truth to the legend about what other prisoners do to them? Feel free not to answer the first question if you think it's insulting, I don't mean it to be, just something I've always wondered about, I've been in a police station a grand total of 3 times in my life, for renewing my gun licence each time, never been arrested, never really had much to do with cops, only a few that were parents of friends of mine in school, or later ones I saw at the pub and it wasn't something I felt comfortable asking them.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Kudos to you on actually managing to do a job which you find interesting nee enjoy. Living the dream bud, living the dream.

My question is thus: Are Internal Affairs the cock-knockers they are portrayed as in films? Are they hated by the rest of the force ccordingly?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Phoenixlight said:
Are any weapons legal in the U.K. for home use only to defend yourself against burgalars?
From what I can see on the UK you can defend your home lethally if need be but there has to be an obvious lethal intent (IE they have a knife or something) which is a little stupid I think. When you're wandering around the house in your underware in the middle of the night. The last thing you're thinking of when you see a strange person rifling through your computer desk is "Oh man is he armed? I better check before I bash his head with a cricket bat!" (Sorry, I had to work Cricket in there somewhere.)

[a href=http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/]Found a weird site[/a] on the topic.

tharwen said:
ace_of_something said:
And for me in crimes against property. Well the first thing I do when I get on duty and it's a slow day is browse craigslist for an hour or so to see if anything that has recently been stolen is for sale (it almost always is)
In that case do you buy it and return it, or try to find the person selling it?
A lot of times we go to buy it then as soon as we can confirm that it is, in fact, the stolen piece of property. We arrest their ass and sort it out from there. Some items have to be kept for evidence but most are returned to their owners through a lengthy and redicioulus amount of paperwork that some people aren't willing to do (I bet of all the stolen property we recover only half ends up back with it's owners) they have a year to get the items. If they don't well... ever heard of a [a href=http://www.policeauctions.com/]police auction[/a]?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Julianking93 said:
How could I become a detective?
Try to keep your nose clean. Get hired on to a police department. Then continue to keep clean. Work hard, be patient, and learn to pay attention to details and let that show in your report writing techniques. Then put in for the promotion. Also, stay in shape. Degrees in criminal justice or various humanities/social sciences help.
It isn't as easy as it sounds.

Squaseghost said:
Beldaros said:
How is it that you are allowed to give this information? Surely you must have signed a confidentiality contract that will include many procedures. Even I had to do that in the prison.
this.
[a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.177017.5083277]that.[/a] post 23. In case the jump to link doesn't work.
edit:I neglected to mention that legal cases not involving a juvenile offender ARE public record that can be looked up by anyone. Once it has gone to trial.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Katana314 said:
I'm something of a fan of the Ace Attorney games (a lawyer game that is all too often very detective-related) and a lot of the cases there seem to follow some trends. There are about 6 or 7 people "involved" with a given incident and any one of them could be a suspect; then most of the time is spent on what, specifically, actually happened (the body was brought over HERE and then they planted THAT person's fingerprints on the gun...) and a lot less on motive than is on TV.

So to the actual question: What are normally the stronger factors to tracking down a killer? Evidence in the circumstances of the crime scene? Witness testimony of someone willing to speak up? Or, just motive and then connecting items in their apartment?

Also, any amusingly 'unrealistic' cases you've seen that seem like they might have happened on TV? (The butler did it!)
I don't have a DS. :p
Witnesses are very important and are usually all you can get. However, they can (and often are) discredited. So it?s important to search the scene for clues and leads. In actuality motive almost never comes up. Only in the rarest circumstances does motive come up in trial.
1) It?s either really easy to figure out (Well, he robbed the gamestop cuz he wanted money. He shot the clerk because the clerk startled him) or there is no damn way of knowing.
B) A lot of times if you try to explain motive to a jury they will get confused or come up with theories why it?s wrong. Most DAs will avoid talking about motive like the plague. So by extension other than using it to find more important pieces of the puzzle. We detective don?t worry about it too much.

Well? we did have these guys that were twins attempt (they walked away with zilch) to rob a bar. Hilarious part? The bar patrons beat the ever loving crap out of them. They both then turned on each other and said it was the other twin?s plan and/or that he threatened him if he didn?t help.
They both got convicted on the same charges, though they didn?t get the same sentence, one had a longer history than the other. As a person with a twin brother myself, I found this case very amusing. My Lieutenant made SURE I was the lead detective. Assuming I would use my magical twin powers to deduce what really happened. Sadly, that doesn?t work unless we join our magic rings together so I had to use good old fashioned police work.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I see the earlier you noted that you had a switchblade whilst undercover.
Did you tape it to your leg like Dirty Harry or just carry it in a coat pocket for rapid use, if needed?

Also, do any cops still use .32 revolvers for undercover work?
They still seem easy to hide and relativly effective, from what I can tell about them.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Motti said:
Do you actually wear a trench coat and a fedora?
In all seriousness, how satisfied do you feel with your job, i.e. do you actually feel like you're putting people behind bars? From what I've seen on cop shows and a statistic I heard saying most cops became alcoholics, it doesn't seem like your job satisfaction would be that great.
I do wear a trench coat, mostly because I'm very tall and it's about the only option. Plus, they're made for tall people to look good in. I don't usually wear a hat because I have a spikey hairdo that would mess up. If I am feeling inclined to wear a hat it's usually a black leather Scally cap.

The reasons for the rampant alcoholism are more than just job satisfaction though it is definitely a chief reason. One reason is that some people go in expecting to save the world and that?s just not a reasonable expectation. One reason is because of the odd hours police work their divorce rates are higher. (though that?s a chicken and the egg question at times.
Another is some people are not able to cope with the horrible shit we see on a nearly daily basis (The new and imaginative ways people come up to beat their loved ones never ceases to amaze and depress me)
It?s not most cops, but there are a lot.
What I tell myself at the beginning of each day is ?I am going to help my community today? it?s a low goal that I can achieve. At the end of each day I ask myself If I helped. I usually can say yes even if I didn?t catch one damn guy. I know that I consoled victims and let them feel better about there situation (which is just as important as catching the guy. Wish more people would realize that)
It?s just like anything else you?ve got to find a healthy stress release.
Mine? Pen and Paper roleplaying, video games, and exercise.

Batfred said:
Kudos to you on actually managing to do a job which you find interesting nee enjoy. Living the dream bud, living the dream.

My question is thus: Are Internal Affairs the cock-knockers they are portrayed as in films? Are they hated by the rest of the force ccordingly?
It?s really hard not to take it personally when they get up in your stuff. Especially when it?s someone you used to trust. You feel betrayed. I?ve been lucky enough to not be bothered by them for anything more serious then taking too many sick days.
Many of them try purposefully to remove themselves from being friendly with officers so that it doesn?t cloud their judgment. Thing is, and few cops will admit this, they are absolutely necessary cops are people and you can?t just trust people to wield power responsibly there has to be something for them to answer to.
Now, on my current department we don?t actually have internal affairs, our affairs are external you could say, instead there are people hired by the county board who act in the exact same way as internal affairs does in most departments most of them are former cops. It works the same. I also think it works better. People are less bitter at them about it then they would be their fellow officers. Maybe because it?s easier to rationalize ?they?re just doing their job.?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
tkioz said:
Anyway back on topic, a few questions;

If you have to give an educated guess, what would be the average education level of police detectives? High School or University?

If you could pick any common "detective tool" from police fiction and bring it to life what would it be?

What would be the most satisfying aspect of your job?

How common it is, given you said you have a large Sudanese population in your city, for people from other cultures to "clam up" around cops when a crime is committed? Police shows always show immigrant communities being afraid of the police due to experiences in their home lands.

How common is it for a truly vile (i.e child molester) to "trip" in a police station? And is there any truth to the legend about what other prisoners do to them?
and then

High School no question. However, more and more departments want at least some college to consider you for big promotions. (that?s a big part of why I was chosen for detective). I believe as time goes on eventually departments will want a 2 year degree. This is because studies have shown people with education on police forces tend to stay longer and are less likely to get reported to internal affairs.

Considering how often I am looking at video surveillance for robberies. I really wish I had whatever it is on CSI where they can ?clean up? an image so I can see something besides a grey blob. That would be sweet.

Making people feel a little safer when they see me come on to the scene. Also, when I get the privilege of giving someone their previously thought lost precious heirloom or the like back. That?s some sweet nectar.

Sudanese people in particular seem to have no problems telling the police what happened. I admit I am very ignorant of much about Sudanese culture (though I know they have more than one) but I know one thing. The really really hate young punks. Generally though, basically whatever race the officer is he/she can assume he will have the most cooperative witnesses when they are the same race as him/her. This is true pretty much across the board. People are just more trusting of someone ?like them?. It always makes me laugh when I get paired with a witness who really hates immigrants. I then get to tell them my mother, wife, or grandparents immigrated (which is true) if I need to try the intimidation (suddenly they fear me because I?m a big guy and they might have offended me)

Ugh. Nobody likes a Chimo. That rhymes with shy-low and stands for the way that charge is abbreviated, Chi(ld) Mo(lestation). They don?t ?trip? as often as you?d hope they do.
I defer to my twin brother on this since he catches them. He has told me that they are very cautious with those prisoners using (forgive the vernacular) kid gloves with them because everyone expects (or maybe WANTS) cops to dish out a little more vigilante style justice with them we know we?re being watched and make extra certain they are not hurt and don?t feel too intimidated. Interrogating them is even more difficult. As far as what happens in prison? well chimos usually are put in a special mod where they are more tightly watched and they are pretty much surrounded by other chimos. There is some truth in the fact that a lot of them get beat up pretty badly if put in general population. Statistically if a man is raped in prison his charges are usually something in that realm.

JohnSmith

Jan 19, 2009
ace_of_something said:
WorkerMurphey said:
First of all, I must express a lot of respect for what you do.

My question: If you could make or unmake a law to make your job or perhaps the lives of regular people easier or safer, what would it be?
Hrhm. Sometimes the 'fruit of the poison tree' I wish could go away. This is when you find evidence not by legal means. On tv this usually means when they threaten to beat the shit out of someone if they don't talk. In real life this usually means when you accidentally and dumb luck your way in to evidence. For example when you get a search warrent it's very specific what you can and can't search. I saw one guy get away with murder (I wasn't involved in the case) because they found the murder weapon in his detached garage. The warrant only covered his house and car. Not his detached garage. This was 90% the cops fault for not paying the fuck attention. However, if the fruit of the poison tree principal wasn't there they would've just been able to see 'does it matter how we found it? He had the fucking gun!'

That scum bag, you'll be glad to know isn't walking the streets because he is serving time for an unrelated robbery charge.
I heard about this rule, it makes me glad that Australia doesn't have it. I mean if police search without a warrant then they will get in trouble but the evidence is still all admissible.

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
MicCheck1two said:
I'm curious if You've ever seen the HBO series "The Wire". If so, exactly how realistic/authentic is it?
I second this question, being unable to think of any police related show which 'feels' as realistic as The Wire does - albeit to an ignorant englishman like myself.

Also, have you ever wondered whether changes to certain laws, methods of law enforcement or enforcement priorities might improve the situation in rougher areas?

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
are you feeling lucky?.....PUNK!

OT:how much percentage of america got jailed once in his/her life?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Could we dance if you wanted to? Would you leave your friends behind? 'Cause your friends don't dance, and since they don't dance, well... they're not any friends of mine!

Umberphoenix

Jun 17, 2009
So I was in Eugene, and at a red light this cop pulls up to the intersection, then turns on his lights and crosses it, keep them on, goes down about ten more feet, and pulls into a Dunkin' Donuts. Shuts off lights. At that point our light was green so we left so I didn't see what happened next. For all I know (and this is probably the case) there was an ironic robbery going on in there. But, for the sake of argument, if that cop had just wanted his coffee and donuts, how much trouble would he have been in if he had been caught?

Like I said, there was probably a call for a cop at that place (oh the irony is killing me!), so don't think I'm saying all cops are donut-eating pigs or anything.