ASMR: The Feeling Science Hasn't Explained Yet

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Is it weird that this somewhat works for me:

on a more serious note:
I think I know the feeling you describe, but these videos don't seem to work for me. Maybe it's because I'm not really relaxed at the moment (or ever). Perhaps I try it later. I just find at hard to concentrate on noise. Also: I find whispers (especially if they are recorded) and other triggers just somewhat discompforting.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Is it meant to be the same sort of effect certain music can make you feel?

Or what I sometimes got from this scene in toy story 2? (though i guess only other people who get 'dat feel' would even understand what i'm talking about... i swear it was like... love or something, but not with any person(though that old dude is pretty awesome, just look at that nose) but with that scene XD light hearted and happy. Disappointingly I didn't really feel it watching just now :( but maybe it might work for others)

Either way, while not altogether unpleasant(and bearable enough despite nothing really happening), i didn't actually feel anything from any of these videos, or others on the know your meme site... which is also disappointing.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Broderick said:
This was an odd sensation indeed. The earliest I remember it happening to me was when some soldiers came to our school and helped us with math by holding up flash cards. For some reason the one on one sessions with the flash cards gave me this sensation. I suggest everyone watch this video, it might give you the sensation too. I suggest wearing headphones and closing your eyes while listening to it.
Most of the other stuff on this thread didn`t really have much effect, but this. Oh boy, it felt good. Got chills and everything at one point. Even couldn`t breathe from the ....well, not really sure what it was, but it made me hold my breath. And interesting, i actually thought for a split second during the end i was in an actual barber shop. So, yeah. Freaky would be a good word to describe it. And really damn interesting. And thanks for the vid!

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I got a minor chill from the tea one but it was kinda irritating. The 3D barber one was kinda cool too. I know the sensation though, I get it when listening to music (particularly romantic classical music, like the climaxes in Rachmaninoff's 2nd and 3rd piano concertos).

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but I watched a video a minute ago that gave me a massive chill down my spine:

Something about Attenborough's voice, the beautiful and kinda simple music, and the animals just swaying about got me.

EDIT: I watched it about 4 times and got the same chills at the same points each time. Funky.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
very interesting
certain noises make me agitated or nervous while whispering depending on the source can be pleasant or infuriating which might be related to something similar

to those suffering (enjoying?) this. would you say that it might be a form of Synesthesia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia wherein your brain confuses certain senses with others and often gives them a duality? being able to taste colours or smell sounds for example. if that was the case i would imagine certain sounds would be exhibited as pleasant while others would be offensive or irritating. is that the case for anyone?

CounterReproductive

Apr 9, 2010
I have alwqays found watching them to be a waste of time. it is just the sound for me that is relaxing or triggering. I prefer the binaural recordings that mean headphones or buds are a must for a proper soundscape. and i NEVER watch the videos. each to their own though.

Captcha : eat out

I think my pc wants me to get out more

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
lechat said:
very interesting
certain noises make me agitated or nervous while whispering depending on the source can be pleasant or infuriating which might be related to something similar

to those suffering (enjoying?) this. would you say that it might be a form of Synesthesia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia wherein your brain confuses certain senses with others and often gives them a duality? being able to taste colours or smell sounds for example. if that was the case i would imagine certain sounds would be exhibited as pleasant while others would be offensive or irritating. is that the case for anyone?
I'm no neuroscientist, but based on my own experience I don't think so, at least not entirely. The particular sound of teeth crushing ice (or anything that closely approximates is) is a trigger for me, but I get more than the simple "buzz" people keep talking about. When I hear it, there's a fuzziness in my scalp and along the back of my neck, but I also feel the sensation of the vibrations of my molars rubbing against the ice, and the distinct pops as the ice cracks. Depending on how loud/crunchy the sound is, my jaw will actually feel cold. As far as I can tell, it's tied to a distinct sensory memory of a particular time that I chewed on ice, and not because of synesthesia.

EDIT: After going through that this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDFG2SCgn8] trigger compilation video, I'm definitely more inclined to believe it's tied to sensory memory. The frosted glass in particular immediately brought back memories of a glass chess set I used to have, and how I would rub the frosted pieces together, or run my nails along the frosted parts of the board to feel the vibrations. Squeezing the stuffed soccer ball worked as well; if she'd had a bigger stuffed thing (like a stuffed animal or one of those fake mini-American-footballs) and squeezed it more intently, I would have had a much more pronounced response.

I find it curious that the ASMR videos focus on the very quiet and the subtle--my triggers seem to require more volume or longer sounds, and I highly doubt I'm the only like this. Like running a fingernail along the teeth of a zip-tie (hee hee, just thinking about one gives me fuzzies), or the hum of an iron bar.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
SecretNegative said:
After a minute after watching the first video I started to suddenly start laughing out loud, not merely chuckling, but really laughing, like, loud.

That was really weird.
That's really weird for me since I had the same reaction. I couldn't help it. I just started bursting out laughing. I don't know what it means! D:

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Obligatory KYM article . . .
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/autonomous-sensory-meridian-response-asmr
Anyway, it's a weird sensation. It doesn't even have to be sound, for me.
You know what I took away from that article?

Article: "...Society of Sensationalists..."

ME: OMG! The Sensates from Planescape! Sign me up!

Well, that and maybe this is why I don't like other people brushing my hair. **shrug**

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Owlslayer said:
Broderick said:
This was an odd sensation indeed. The earliest I remember it happening to me was when some soldiers came to our school and helped us with math by holding up flash cards. For some reason the one on one sessions with the flash cards gave me this sensation. I suggest everyone watch this video, it might give you the sensation too. I suggest wearing headphones and closing your eyes while listening to it.
Most of the other stuff on this thread didn`t really have much effect, but this. Oh boy, it felt good. Got chills and everything at one point. Even couldn`t breathe from the ....well, not really sure what it was, but it made me hold my breath. And interesting, i actually thought for a split second during the end i was in an actual barber shop. So, yeah. Freaky would be a good word to describe it. And really damn interesting. And thanks for the vid!
You are welcome, I figured this was the perfect chance to link it heh. It is an odd feeling, good, but odd. I only figured out last year that people other than just myself has experienced it. It can be quite relaxing too; sometimes I use videos like the one I link to help me get to sleep.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Vuliev said:
lechat said:
very interesting

I'm no neuroscientist, but based on my own experience I don't think so, at least not entirely. The particular sound of teeth crushing ice (or anything that closely approximates is) is a trigger for me, but I get more than the simple "buzz" people keep talking about. When I hear it, there's a fuzziness in my scalp and along the back of my neck, but I also feel the sensation of the vibrations of my molars rubbing against the ice, and the distinct pops as the ice cracks. Depending on how loud/crunchy the sound is, my jaw will actually feel cold. As far as I can tell, it's tied to a distinct sensory memory of a particular time that I chewed on ice, and not because of synesthesia.

EDIT: After going through that this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDFG2SCgn8] trigger compilation video, I'm definitely more inclined to believe it's tied to sensory memory. The frosted glass in particular immediately brought back memories of a glass chess set I used to have, and how I would rub the frosted pieces together, or run my nails along the frosted parts of the board to feel the vibrations. Squeezing the stuffed soccer ball worked as well; if she'd had a bigger stuffed thing (like a stuffed animal or one of those fake mini-American-footballs) and squeezed it more intently, I would have had a much more pronounced response.

I find it curious that the ASMR videos focus on the very quiet and the subtle--my triggers seem to require more volume or longer sounds, and I highly doubt I'm the only like this. Like running a fingernail along the teeth of a zip-tie (hee hee, just thinking about one gives me fuzzies), or the hum of an iron bar.
and the plot thickens
interesting you mention ice cause the sound of someone munching ice infuriates me

so would you say you are a particularly empathetic person? are there any sounds that make you feel something else like nervous or agitated? would you say there are sounds you have not heard before, particular weird sounds unrelated to anything you have heard before that trigger any other form of reaction?

still amazed that this is a (apparently common) thing and i have heard nothing about it

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
lechat said:
so would you say you are a particularly empathetic person?
Quite so, in fact, to the point that I've been trying to develop my ability to directly perceive the emotions of others, with limited (but very real) success. Why do you ask?

are there any sounds that make you feel something else like nervous or agitated? would you say there are sounds you have not heard before, particular weird sounds unrelated to anything you have heard before that trigger any other form of reaction?
I can hear the whine of some high-frequency electronic devices, like CRT [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube] TVs and computer monitors, or some varieties of theft detectors in retail stores, and it's probably one of the most aggravating sounds to me. Since it's a very high frequency (~20+ kHz), most people can't hear it, and it's fairly quiet even to me--but it's like having a million microscopic needles bore into my eardrums with agonizing slowness. If I get particularly close to a source, it hurts. My university library is probably the worst I've experienced so far; I usually wear a pair of simple behind-the-neck headphones, and so every time I walk through the detectors in the library, my headphones greatly amplify the sound (like 10x or something) and the pain becomes excruciating after only a couple seconds.

But "alien" kinds of sounds? Probably, but I can't think of any that stick out, aside from maybe vague snippets of dreams from long ago.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I know of what you speak but it seems my sex muscles are broken...or work mostly on touch as that is the last time I remember those spine chills in a good way. But my oh my that is too old for some of you. Been years I tell you.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Evidently I have no soul, because none of the videos in the OP evoked that sensation. :p

A number of my favorite songs certainly do, but none of those videos did. I don't see why anyone would think a clearly reflexive reaction would be creepy, though. It's essentially the same as the doctor whacking your knee with that little hammer.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I guess that makes sense. I always tend to get a warm fuzzy feeling inside whenever somebody talks softly. I'll sometimes even find myself rewinding Youtube videos because I liked the way somebody said a sentence.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Vuliev said:
lechat said:
so would you say you are a particularly empathetic person?
Quite so, in fact, to the point that I've been trying to develop my ability to directly perceive the emotions of others, with limited (but very real) success. Why do you ask?

are there any sounds that make you feel something else like nervous or agitated? would you say there are sounds you have not heard before, particular weird sounds unrelated to anything you have heard before that trigger any other form of reaction?
I can hear the whine of some high-frequency electronic devices, like CRT [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube] TVs and computer monitors, or some varieties of theft detectors in retail stores, and it's probably one of the most aggravating sounds to me. Since it's a very high frequency (~20+ kHz), most people can't hear it, and it's fairly quiet even to me--but it's like having a million microscopic needles bore into my eardrums with agonizing slowness. If I get particularly close to a source, it hurts. My university library is probably the worst I've experienced so far; I usually wear a pair of simple behind-the-neck headphones, and so every time I walk through the detectors in the library, my headphones greatly amplify the sound (like 10x or something) and the pain becomes excruciating after only a couple seconds.

But "alien" kinds of sounds? Probably, but I can't think of any that stick out, aside from maybe vague snippets of dreams from long ago.
i ask about empathy because ppl have noted that they experience this effect when they see others heavily concentrating
quite possibly what you have is a short circuit in the brain linking an empathic reaction with sounds and outputting it as a physical/emotional reaction

do any of you that experience this have trouble perceiving or understanding the emotions of others? do you find yourself empathizing with inanimate objects like a toaster with a face or to a lesser extent a barely humanoid robot?
would you say that in this video

<youtube=4fDMSLLMk4Q>

you are perceiving the pleasure that the tin can may be feeling?

sorry for the potential dumb questions but you peaked my interest and i would like to further understand what is going on here

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
RJ 17 said:
A number of my favorite songs certainly do, but none of those videos did. I don't see why anyone would think a clearly reflexive reaction would be creepy, though. It's essentially the same as the doctor whacking your knee with that little hammer.
I dunno, the reflex hammer is used for the specific purpose of checking the functionality of the peripheral nervous system, and it works on all humans (well, the ones that don't have peripheral nervous disorders, anyway.) ASMR triggers apparently vary greatly, and the responses to triggers are widely varied as well, so it doesn't seem like it's reflexive in nature.

lechat said:
i ask about empathy because ppl have noted that they experience this effect when they see others heavily concentrating
quite possibly what you have is a short circuit in the brain linking an empathic reaction with sounds and outputting it as a physical/emotional reaction

do any of you that experience this have trouble perceiving or understanding the emotions of others? do you find yourself empathizing with inanimate objects like a toaster with a face or to a lesser extent a barely humanoid robot?
would you say that in this video

<youtube=4fDMSLLMk4Q>

you are perceiving the pleasure that the tin can may be feeling?

sorry for the potential dumb questions but you peaked my interest and i would like to further understand what is going on here
Not at all, it's nice to see a genuinely curious person probe a mystery. :)

While I'm going to say that I don't "perceive the pleasure" that a zip-tie may "feel" when I run my nail along its teeth, I do see where you're going with that. I'm not sure about it, though, since personification of objects that don't have structural patterns that are instinctively recognized requires conscious thought, and ASMR feels more sub-conscious to me. Or, at least, based below conscious thought; while I can influence my ASMR response through concentration or meditation, I can't create a response through such personification. Kinda like scratching an itch: I can scratch an itch and it'll feel good, but I can't imagine an itch and then scratch where I imagined it to be and get anywhere near the same result

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
ok progress provided others agree with what you say

personal question time. feel free not to answer if offended or overly personal
would you define ASMR as sexual on any level? would you say your early sexual experiences were in anyway significantly auditory? do you recall any form of ASMR before sexual maturity?

are there any sounds from your past that make you feel overly nostalgic? or do any sounds trigger vivid memories of your past? i ask these last questions because while i have said that the sound of someone munching ice makes me angry the smell of stickers (particularly the lick and stick type) make me nostalgic and at some points have brought me to tears pointing to an emotional link to those sensory stimulation which you may yourself feel

capture: how interesting
seriously fuck you capture