ASMR: The Feeling Science Hasn't Explained Yet

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Ah, yes. ASMR.

I know the exact feeling. It's just that I describe my reactions to ASMR as annoyance, boredom and rage at the gullibility of fellow humans. Oh, and I really prefer the actual physical sensations of massage, workout and sex. Some random crazy lady whispering to me and/or tapping her glaringly whore-painted fingernails on a tin just plain doesn't tingle my fancy, sorry.

Maybe it's just me but I tend to crave for real arts, as in someone playing guitar, singing or going wild on a piano. Can tapping sounds like either something I can experience down at the fortune-tellers place or in the looney bin.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Ah, yes. ASMR.

I know the exact feeling. It's just that I describe my reactions to ASMR as annoyance, boredom and rage at the gullibility of fellow humans. Oh, and I really prefer the actual physical sensations of massage, workout and sex. Some random crazy lady whispering to me and/or tapping her glaringly whore-painted fingernails on a tin just plain doesn't tingle my fancy, sorry.

Maybe it's just me but I tend to crave for real arts, as in someone playing guitar, singing or going wild on a piano. Can tapping sounds like either something I can experience down at the fortune-tellers place or in the looney bin.
"Gullibility"? Are you sure you know what that word means?

Also, you seem to be mistaking the feeling of ASMR as a sort of "phantom replication" of the involved actions. It's not.

Are you this hostile to everything you don't fully understand, or did an ASMR enthusiast kill your dog?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
See,

So far, 'ASMR' seems to be mostly experienced by outcasts, shut-ins, confirmed assburgers, otakus, parasaito shingurus and facebook users. As such, this heterogeneous group can be best described as having no proper, real life with its abundance of sensori stimuli, and therefore their existences are bound to be severely lacking in proper human interactions in meatspace. Their sense of touch is mostly wasted on clothing and themselves.

There are but few takes on this in the medium of modern movies, and they all seem to be rooted either in nightmares or proper fear of being locked away in the cranium.[footnote]Being John Malkovich, Strange Days[/footnote]

My thesis is this: By exposing yourself to so-called 'ASMR' stimuli, you put your poor brain in the position of that of a tetraplegic or, say, somebody in a coma. That's just not a nice thing to do to a brain, so the tingling sensation you get is the hippocampus going into overdrive, trying to crawl back into some primeval cave (which isn't there) and the whole brain expressing its discomfort, wanting to jump out and find a new, more caring host. The 'happy' and 'ecstatic' feeling people report to get is either a complete misinterpretation of something that is pretty much akin to the first few neverending moments of an accidental heroin overdose, which also seems to be fun (at first), or it could indeed be a panicking hippocampus vomiting endorphins all over the place.

Even if ASMR could work, I would expect it to be a risky endeavour to actively seek out these 'virtual' pleasures, as the supply of endorphins is finite and abuse would bring along the very same issues MDMA abuse brought with it.

I'll gladly say it again: I, too, felt a tingling sensation, but it was one of genuine embarrassment for the species I was born into. We weren't given these ridiculously large brains to mess with them.

Oh, and, lack: Yes, please do explain your meaning of the word 'gullibility' to me. Discombobulate me with your firm grip on language. There's absolutely no need for you to go all vegan cannibal on me.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
See,

So far, 'ASMR' seems to be mostly experienced by outcasts, shut-ins, confirmed assburgers, otakus, parasaito shingurus and facebook users. As such, this heterogeneous group can be best described as having no proper, real life with its abundance of sensori stimuli, and therefore their existences are bound to be severely lacking in proper human interactions in meatspace. Their sense of touch is mostly wasted on clothing and themselves.

There are but few takes on this in the medium of modern movies, and they all seem to be rooted either in nightmares or proper fear of being locked away in the cranium.[footnote]Being John Malkovich, Strange Days[/footnote]

My thesis is this: By exposing yourself to so-called 'ASMR' stimuli, you put your poor brain in the position of that of a tetraplegic or, say, somebody in a coma. That's just not a nice thing to do to a brain, so the tingling sensation you get is the hippocampus going into overdrive, trying to crawl back into some primeval cave (which isn't there) and the whole brain expressing its discomfort, wanting to jump out and find a new, more caring host. The 'happy' and 'ecstatic' feeling people report to get is either a complete misinterpretation of something that is pretty much akin to the first few neverending moments of an accidental heroin overdose, which also seems to be fun (at first), or it could indeed be a panicking hippocampus vomiting endorphins all over the place.

Even if ASMR could work, I would expect it to be a risky endeavour to actively seek out these 'virtual' pleasures, as the supply of endorphins is finite and abuse would bring along the very same issues MDMA abuse brought with it.

I'll gladly say it again: I, too, felt a tingling sensation, but it was one of genuine embarrassment for the species I was born into. We weren't given these ridiculously large brains to mess with them.

Oh, and, lack: Yes, please do explain your meaning of the word 'gullibility' to me. Discombobulate me with your firm grip on language. There's absolutely no need for you to go all vegan cannibal on me.
Problem One: Small sample size.

So far, 'ASMR' seems to be mostly experienced by outcasts, shut-ins, confirmed assburgers, otakus, parasaito shingurus and facebook users.

If we remove the eyebrow-raising reference to Facebook users (I'm assuming you mean "people who spend all their time on Facebook"? I don't do that), then I fit none of that. Neither do the other friends I have to enjoy it. So my sample is opposite of your sample. We are at an impasse. Also, I'm a high-physical-contact person, so I single-handedly blew your "their sense of touch is wasted" comment.

Also, you speak with great confidence for someone who pulled their entire "thesis" out of the air. I know you did because, as I mentioned in the OP, there's been next to no research done on the subject. So everything you say on it is speculative, biased, and above all, untested.

So you seem perfectly safe to ignore. It's difficult to take you seriously when you're on the outside looking in and you clearly hate us, but can't clearly give us a reason why we should be hated.

And OK, then, what WERE we given these brains for? What makes YOUR source of pleasure so much better than someone else's? It's not like we're drug-addled dependents who can't live without another "hit". What is so wrong with ASMR that isn't about equally as wrong as, say, playing video games?

Gullible: "Believes new ideas very easily". We don't have to believe this new idea without foundation, for we can feel it very easily. So no, gullible is not an appropriate term.

Also, the personal message you sent me:

Hey,

The folks rooting for you will expect you to defend your case and make a stand. Don't let them down. Please,keep things nice & gentle, though.

Regards,
-head.

If you want me to reply, try actually quoting me in-thread. Thanks.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
These kinds of scratching sounds actually make me feel sick and begin to have a mild form of panic attack. I get the same thing with Styrofoam. It's quite humiliating.