Assassin's Creed 2.85

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
awdrifter said:
I don't think the climbing will be a problem, something similar to Mirrors Edge would work. Traffic also shouldn't be a big problem, they can set this Abstergo HQ in a smaller town so the motor traffic is limited, and you can run around the town without needing cars. The problem is the hidden blade combat, if this game is set in a modern setting, then guns would have to be the logical choice, which loses some of the game's charm.
Guns aren't all that discrete, even with silencers they make noise and you have to hold them out or shoot a hole in your shirt. If the hidden blade could be super-miniaturized into looking like a watch or something it could still be a very effective stealth weapon and one that, unlike guns, could make it through a security checkpoint. Desmond could then have a silenced handgun as a backup in the same vein as the crossbow.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I think that Revolutionary France (and maybe Tsarist Russia, too; let's give that time and place some love) would be awesome. But then there's the downside: Hiring competent voice actors. Finding VA artists who can speak English with a proper locational accent has not been the gaming industry's greatest strong point. And subtitles would probably alienate (pun!) no small number of fans.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I really had no issues with AC: Brotherhood. It was a great game and it added a lot to the story. It didn't feel like a cash-in to me, because the story was still very personal and it involved characters we all know and love. But Revelations feels like it should have been a DLC pack. The whole city of Constantinople is unnecessary and the conflict between the Ottomans is too short and has no impact on Ezio's life or the overall story. New Characters are without personality because the story is too short for them to develop any. And why should I even care for them? Ezio's path was fun because it was a path of revenge. His motives in Revelations are too boring to base an entire game about it. The only thing that matters in Revelations are the Altair memory seal missions. And that could have been accomplished with a simple AC: Brotherhood DLC.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Anybody else here get revived by the idea of a futuristic spy/assassination game again? I mean I haven't enjoyed one of those since Perfect Dark. Lets give life to the throwback!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
BonGookKumBop said:
snip

A couple of years back, there was a movie about Jack the Ripper named "From Hell". I didn't see it when a couple of my roommates rented it, but I did watch the special features which included a documentary with a historian talking about how the murders could have been some sort of government cover-up.
snip
It actually physically hurts me that you refer to "From Hell" as a film. I suggest you track down a copy of the far far far far far superior graphic novel by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell.

I'm not a fan of the AssCreed games, but I like the idea of a game set post French Revolution during the Reign of Terror. With no Templars left in France the Assassins turn on themselves in a Civil War. Split the Assassins into factions and you have to eliminate the more radical Jacobin Assassins. You could play as the Angel of Assassination herself Charlotte Corday and stab Marat right in his bath.

Won't happen though.

Kjakings

Nov 18, 2009
Falseprophet said:
I know both The Saboteur and Velvet Assassin tried and failed at being the definitive WWII stealth game, but I'm so tired of WWII. I'd argue World War I was more of a historical shift than WWII, if only because there wouldn't have been a WWII without the Great War and the Treaty of Versailles. I'd like to see Desmond with a female, Mata Hari-esque ancestor in World War I.
There could be aeroplane sections! A Cesare Borgia type character could be the Red Baron and you could have some kind of wing-based sword fight... After all, WWI weapons were loud bastards, so I'd assume the assassins would still be heavily favouring blades and the Red Baron could have... I dunno, Excalibur's a Piece of Eden, right?

bluemew1234

Oct 26, 2010
Thought I had read something awhile back about how they had ideas for one of his ancestors to be a woman in WWII.

So if you thought the mental image Yahtzee came up with was bad. . . . .

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
I kind of like the idea of setting the game in the New World, perhaps working with the Aztecs against Cortes. You could potentially include some jungle combat which might translate well into the Assassin's Creed movement system. You're still dealing with guns, although it might not be at the point where they utterly dominate combat.

The problem is that you're either fighting a losing battle or you rewrite history by defeating the Spanish. But then its perfectly reasonable that the assassin might have his own agenda.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Perhaps an intersting take on the AC creed series could be a setting involving the hints toward the other pieces of Eden used by various World Leaders. Perhaps the Assassins were involved in the Assassination of JFK (yes sensitive material, but I think time + artistic license can overcome this with a well thought out plot arc), or perhaps the Assassin's attempting to re-aquire the Apple from Ghandi (another hint in the subtext of Subject 16's rambling clues).
I'd love to explore those eras hinted at during the S16 babblings and it would be in intersting turn to the series to set it in semi-contemporary events and also show how the Templars have consolidated their powerbase so well. I mean the current events can't be the first time the Assassin's have heart of the PoE nor (as has been alluded to) have they not yet tried on numerous occsasions attempted to recover them.
Plus it gives Desmond a little more time to develop a personality, which in my view his Tabula Rasa-esq boring persona is a perfect way to amalgamate the awesome personas of Ezio/Altair and perhaps another few of his ancestors into his psyche thereby creating a new more interesting Desmond.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
My friends and I have tossed around ideas for potential settings for any new AC titles. I'll see if I can remember some:

New World 16th Century
This was mentioned by Ubisoft before, and slightly dips into with the one of the 50 storylines in Project Legacy. It would also be really neat for the protagonist to be, or meet Giovanni Borgia His character is slightly deus ex machina, but he's rather interesting.

The Industrial Revolution
Steam locomotives, bitter textile wars, urbanization, etc. There's a lot to play with here. Oh, and I think there was a war in there, or something.

Early 20th Century Russia
The Tunguska explosion, The Russian Revolution, Vladimir Lenin being the brother of an Assassin. But the most important thing here? Nokolai. Andreievich. Orelov.

World War I
Another one teased by Ubisoft. Let's just say Gavrilo Princip could have been a rookie member of the Assassins. The rest pretty much writes itself.

Gotham City
Desmond Miles recovers and discovers that the recently shanked Lucy Stillman turned into The Joker (not that she needed to change her physical appearance much) only to find out that his parents were shot by muggers long ago. Utilizing the training he received by living Ezio's entire life in a week-long Matrix style excursion, he dons his eagle-themed outfit and becomes the Eagleman, terror of the night. He also never emotes. Ever.

I'll admit, I pulled the last one out of my ass...

beleester

Feb 22, 2011
Mirror's Edge is a good starting place for gameplay, since it matches Assassin's Creed's parkour and melee combat, and Abstergo's white-box aesthetic. However, ME doesn't lend itself to the sandbox very well, since there's only so many ways to create convenient paths between buildings before I lose my suspension of disbelief. At some point, your assassin will either have to jump the width of a 4-lane road or splatter messily on the pavement.

So how do we let our assassin get around a modern boxy city without all those conveniently climbable ledges and ziplines around? The same way every AC game handles anything - new gadgets! A Batman-style grappling hook is the obvious choice, but that would be a bit too easy. A better option might be some sort of glider or wingsuit - it would let Desmond cross large roads or other gaps without falling, but he'd still have to climb normally to gain height, it could believably be concealed in his outfit, and it fits nicely with the eagle motif that all the assassins have.

I can think of a few other non-grappling-hook gadgets. For example, a pair of gecko gloves so he can climb anywhere, or augmented legs (Deus Ex had some really cool roof-hopping sections in Hong Kong) or maybe just something simple like rollerblades for getting around at ground level. As for the classic hay-bales, they exist mainly to get you down from a viewpoint quickly, so how about fast-roping?

The other side of Assassin's Creed is "social stealth", and that's also a lot trickier during the War on Terror, full of metal detectors and keycards and security cameras. On the plus side, it's easier to find a crowd to get lost in. On the minus side, anything important will be locked down tightly, and new gadgets won't cut it here. Perhaps you'll need more of a social engineering approach, recruiting people on the inside who can let you in.

The last part of the problem is guns, but I'm not too concerned about that. The Assassins usually get to close range by sneaking in or blending with the crowd, so nobody knows they're there until they say hello with an extendo-blade between the ribs, then just run like hell. The earlier AC games had bows and guns but that didn't break the game, since you could take them out with throwing knives, stealth, or your own gun, and Ezio could take quite a few bullets without slowing down, thanks to his armor. So give Desmond a belt of knives and a Kevlar hoodie and I doubt anyone will complain.

As for why they would use the hidden blade instead of a sniper rifle a mile away? Perhaps, since the whole "villain's dying speech" is a staple of the series, they need to get information out of the target before they die? I'm sure we can handwave something.

Sep 30, 2010
I totally forgot about Safety Last!, I love that movie. You know Harold Lloyd did the climbing in that film after losing his right thumb and index finger.
What's that you say? Add something constructive to this discussion? Not a chance.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I'm hoping for 1900s China, in which you play as an apprentice of Wong Fei Hung that fought against basically everyone that wanted a piece of China.

Well, that does explain Embers having the possibility of having an Asian protagonist. I actually like this idea a lot.

Your character won't have a sword or a spear, but instead an umbrella and staff.

benvorbeck

Mar 18, 2011
i will wait and play the last game, until then i will accept this article as complete bullshit.(as it probably will be)

beniki

May 28, 2009
I kind of lost interest in Assassin's Creed after 2. I liked the setting, I like the characters, and game play. But the ending had me scratching my head. Not sure why they'd go in that direction. And the meta-plot looked like it had nothing to do with Assassins or Templars, and certainly presented a problem unsuited to the skills of the protagonist.

Basically, it was a problem that you couldn't stab in the back.

I get the impression that this procrastination on the part of the devs is because they can't work out how to end the story either. At least not without getting even more silly with logic.

Personally I would have preferred it if they stuck with Altair. Ezio was okay, but Altair was more interesting to me... and I would have liked to see the whole crusade era played out fully.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
I think the ultimate version would be to have it set over the American Revolutionary War (1775?1783), The French Revolution (1789?1799) and the Napoleonic Wars (1803 to 1815).

That's AssCreed 3, 3.5 and 3.75 right there.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Okey, I'v never played Assassins Creed, so bear with me, but..Aren't Assassins suppose to be stealthy and generic-looking, as to not rouse suspicion? Because correct me if Iäm wrong, but not many through-out the games have ran around in Enzio's flashy monk-jedi-getup that completely covers the face and basically screams "I HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE!".
This has always bugged me.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Fuck Thomas Edison, just add Nicolas Tesla in a theater doing a science demonstration and a terrified HP.Lovecraft and i will sign in the next game