Assassin's Creed 3: Again, Ubisoft?

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Vitagen said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Vitagen said:
Noelveiga said:
we are now getting angry about the out of character behaviour of a character from a novel that doesn't exist yet based on a videogame that doesn't exist yet.
No sane individual is angry about whether or not the behavior is "in character" for Connor. The discussion here is about the portrayal of the British in the game. Watch the Independence Day (American Independence day, that is, July 4) trailer to see what we mean.

[sup]Although the discussion has quickly deteriorated into a debate about the morality of the use of atomic weapons in WWII, which I will be withholding comment on for fear of making a fool of myself.[/sup]
The point still stands though, no one knows how that will turn out since the game and book aren't out yet.

Also, I'm just guessing, but the trailer was trying to stay with the theme of fight of independence for the US since it was released on the 4th of July, a little appropriate, no?
I happen to agree with you. I don't think the advertising so far is necessarily indicative of the ultimate game, but (as I said in a previous post) it does make me nervous.

I still hate that trailer though. "Refusing to learn the history of a country you will never see" doesn't make that kid a patriot. It makes him a willfully ignorant jackass.
I just took that line to mean, 'why should I care about learning about these guys since they're being such dicks to me?' I mean, that's typically the attitude of people when people from other countries and the like do that sort of crap, and besides, hindsight is 20/20, and we may know that, but they probably didn't. Plus, it's a kid, probably like a 10 year old, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to him since they would probably have that sort of attitude if something like that is happening to them.

I'm more concerned about the whole 2012 thing that they've made a big deal about from the previous games than this.
or the whole thing could have been like: "You'll learn this or you will be punished" route.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
robhop said:
Half-British is a rather imprecise description. This could mean half-English, half-Scottish, half-Welsh, or even, given the political realities of the revolutionary period, half-Irish. Connor is an Irish name and if the character's antecedents came from an Irish republican background that could explain his proclivity for dissecting unfortunate redcoats with a tomahawk.
Well, his name is Connor because he adopted the name to move around more easily. His actual name is Ratonhnhaké:ton, according to the AC wiki. All it describe is that his father was British, and his mother Mohawk.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
BNguyen said:
Sparrow said:
Korten12 said:
But this is the Rev war. This isn't America during Vietnam and the Middle East. Honestly you would have really stretch it to make America be evil and the Brits being good during this war. Imo it was basically as black and white as World War II was.
"History is written by the victor" has never been more relevant. No war is black and white, the revolutionary war was certainly far from a simple battle of good vs evil. Both sides did things we'd sooner rather erase from history. Hell, WW2 certainty wasn't black and white. I mean, there was that whole thing with American nuking those civilians and the bombing of Dresden.
yeah, the Japanese didn't do anything bad, just bombed and killed hundreds of civilians and invaded China, committed genocide in numerous areas, and supposedly conducted numerous inhumane experiments, but what was bad about that? the Japanese just wanted an empire of their own.
(I don't hate today's Japanese, just what their ancestors did in the name of nationality and pride)
when you do bad, expect bad things to be done unto you
the British wanted the colonials to pay taxes for British expenditures in war, something the American colonials weren't involved with, so the colonials rebelled, then the British imposed numerous laws to force the colonials to pay and later on, shot into a crowd of protestors, killing 6
actually in the case of the American Revolution the british raised taxes to fund an army at the request of the colonials

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Dreamfiller said:
What I think will end up happening hill ally with the rebels because he believes for some reason they can help his people and after the war is won, they don't keep their promise.

-THAT- is when the slaughter of American's begins...I also think Washington is a templar. Just...calling it right now.
or, maybe there are templars on both sides with the founding fathers being assassins as well as Conner and the Mohawks that allied with the British were inducted into the templars, which could explain why the Mohawks and native Americans (for the most part) conducted raids on colonial civilian areas under the pretense of searching for a piece of eden hidden there while the British were busy fighting the French and Spanish, so when the US gained independence it started taking land and resources from the native Americans that aided the templars, but maybe since the templars were defeated in that area, they hid their identities which caused the US to enforce relocation laws on all of them since they couldn't just take someone's word for it on the matter.
but this is all merely speculation on the subject

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
spartandude said:
BNguyen said:
Sparrow said:
Korten12 said:
But this is the Rev war. This isn't America during Vietnam and the Middle East. Honestly you would have really stretch it to make America be evil and the Brits being good during this war. Imo it was basically as black and white as World War II was.
"History is written by the victor" has never been more relevant. No war is black and white, the revolutionary war was certainly far from a simple battle of good vs evil. Both sides did things we'd sooner rather erase from history. Hell, WW2 certainty wasn't black and white. I mean, there was that whole thing with American nuking those civilians and the bombing of Dresden.
yeah, the Japanese didn't do anything bad, just bombed and killed hundreds of civilians and invaded China, committed genocide in numerous areas, and supposedly conducted numerous inhumane experiments, but what was bad about that? the Japanese just wanted an empire of their own.
(I don't hate today's Japanese, just what their ancestors did in the name of nationality and pride)
the British wanted the colonials to pay taxes for British expenditures in war, something the American colonials weren't involved with, so the colonials rebelled, then the British imposed numerous laws to force the colonials to pay and later on, shot into a crowd of protestors, killing 6
actually in the case of the American Revolution the british raised taxes to fund an army at the request of the colonials
I can understand that, but it wasn't always the case for every colony that the British controlled, like many areas of the world they took control for the resources and man power that these areas possessed, take for example Africa and how it was divided by pretty much every major European nation - that situation was mostly for resources and land-grabbing.
The American colonials were all essentially British or at least Africans that had earned freedom in some form or fashion, so by that standing, they should be able to vote on how funds are spent by the Empire. And while I won't argue some funds were used to secure the American front, a lot was spent on things that the colonials were not involved with and as such, the Americans did not want to pay for it.
It'd be the same as you having a job while being separate from your parents, but then your parents start spending money on things you aren't involved with - ex. gambling debts, so just by being your parent,s they feel that they can and should take money from you to help pay, not exactly a fair thing don't you think?

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
This game seems to be causing Brits and Americans to hate each other. Can't we all just get a long?

Anyway, I'm going with the belief that it's just marketing. There will be a plot twist somewhere in the game, but considering that the asscreed games are known for their plot twists, they're going for the nationalistic approach to try and make it more of a surprise.

spartandude said:
and yet another person who doesnt understand why the bombs were used, ok heres the thing Japan did actually offer a conditional surrender, America rejected it and then later accepted a surrender allowing US troops to be stationed in Japan, but the main reason however was not to make Japan submissive, it was to show the USSR that america has rather large boom machines

and heres one thing i ask you, if it were to make Japan surrender, surely bombing military bases rather than civillian centres would have had just as much impact
There's also the fact that the US wanted to be sole nation to liberate Japan. The Western Front had already been won by this point and the USSR had it's boots all over Eastern Europe so allowing the USSR to help with Japan may have meant that communist influence would expand to Japan.

You're right though, people underestimate how terrified the US gov was of the USSR then.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Wargamer said:
Finally, Revelations. One last trailer for us all... Ezio goes on a journey, turns up at Altair's old place, and gets ambushed. Epic fight, epic ending, epic trailer all the way.

All round, it keeps the theme and tone AC1 set - this is a game series about hunting down specific enemies and taking them out.
Actually, i think a degree of national demonisation in Assassins Creed might have started to set in with Revelations. I thought the Byzantines were portrayed in an unfair light, especially given that their city/civilisation had been violently conquered by foreign invaders. The Ottomans may have been relatively virtuous historically speaking, but i'd rather have have fought alongside the Byzantines trying to take their city back. I realise that this is all because the Byzantine's happened to side with the Templars, but if Revelations is half the intelligent game it makes itself out to be then it would have at least made an attempt to appreciate Byzantine culture or at least their situation (through gameplay and narrative). Instead the game happily adored Ottoman culture whilst allowing the Byzantines to be the "bad guys".

The marketing for AC3 does make me worry that the franchise has gone more historically black and white, but i'm going to reserve final judgement until the full story behind the game is revealed. Again, if Assassins Creed is an intelligent as it strives to be, there will be a plot twist which undermines the American jingostic overtones in the adverts. If not, then i might conclude that the writing for AC has declined in it's quality. Writing historical material in black and white merely reveals to me that the writer doesn't understand history- and i'd expect the writers of AC to be better than that.

Allar

Jul 6, 2011
BNguyen said:
Sparrow said:
In fairness they never said that the Japanese hadn't done anything wrong, quite the contrary, they just said that the war couldn't be seen in black and white terms because BOTH sides had done atrocious things. Also, the British raised taxes in large part to recover the costs associated with the 7 Years War which definitely involved defending the colonies in North America from other European powers operating in America at the time. Should the colonists have had a say in the imposition of the taxes? Definitely but that's hardly the same as saying that the taxes were paying for things that had nothing to do with them.

Also, it wasn't only taxes that the Americans rebelled over. One of the "Intolerable Acts" was the Quebec Act which angered the Americans for, among other things, allowing the free practice of Catholicism which they feared owing to their strong Protestantism. If that's not an intolerant and indefensible stance I don't what is.

It also had to do with allocating land to Quebec that had already been promised to other colonies so that was more reasonable. The point is that it can hardly be said that there were good guys and bad guys in the Revolution (in my mind anyway). The Americans overreacted to a tax that was only necessary to repay the costs of protecting them and the British overreacted by governing with a far heavier hand than they should have.

Nobody should have come out of this smelling like roses, all war is dirty and both sides should have their merits and flaws exposed rather than being monolithic entities operating entirely one way or the other. As for the game, I'll reserve judgment until it's actually released and we can see exactly what they've done.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Wargamer said:
CONNOR:
Roll up, roll up! Let's commit indescriminate slaughter in the name of the Greatest (and/or only) Nation on Earth!

Instead of showing us what being an Assassin is all about, we get minutes of Pro-American propaganda speech, including that classic "it's my right as a Yank to be ignorant!" line.
We then end with a shot of Connor stood in the middle of a group of British soldiers, all dead or dying, and the Americans rushing to his aid.

This is hardly a trait unique to that trailer; most of the source material thus far can be described as either "America! Fuck yeah!" or "Hi, I'm Connor and I love killing Brits!"

It is a radical shift in tone compared to what they have done previously, and it's a shift in entirely the wrong direction.
And none of the other Assassins took a side? You don't seem to remember Ezio fighting on behalf of any certain group? Or how they made the Borgias the enemies?

Make no mistake, Assassin's Creed has had it's moments of being rather Black and White. The only reason we haven't hear many complaints from the series is because they've pretty much dealt only in the relatively obscure history of people long passed, and even took place in a few countries that don't even exist anymore.
Great trailer. Fair, impartial, inkeeping with the series. Why the fuck do they let this kind of thing go under the radar in favour of racist Pro-American bullshit?
Racist? American is not a race. Neither is British. Are you perhaps referring to the Indian portrayal in this? To which I respond... no, there hasn't been a single instance of racism against the Mohawk tribe distributed in this game yet. The only Native American they've shown is Connor, and he's been relatively bland so far.
You have a constitution that was written after the Revolution that embodies the ideals of why you rebelled from British rule.
You have a government that ignores that constitution, or else rewrites it to suit corporate agendas and those of the rich elite.
You have guns.

Do what your fuckng laws demand, then we'll stop with the Team America crap.
We are not our government. In case you missed it, we're actually beginning to see quite a bit of civil unrest because of this very point.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
JoesshittyOs said:
And none of the other Assassins took a side? You don't seem to remember Ezio fighting on behalf of any certain group? Or how they made the Borgias the enemies?
AC1 was very good at making Assassin and Templar appear very similar. The game was morally grey because of that - by the end, I was not entirely sure I'd been playing the good guy...

AC2's "Auditore vs Borgia" is just that - a family fued. Ezio doesn't persecute the Borgia for being Italian, or Non-Italian, or even for being Templars; they murdered his family, so he's murdering their family. Assassin motivations come later.

Racist? American is not a race. Neither is British. Are you perhaps referring to the Indian portrayal in this? To which I respond... no, there hasn't been a single instance of racism against the Mohawk tribe distributed in this game yet. The only Native American they've shown is Connor, and he's been relatively bland so far.
Then what should I use? "Culturalist"? That sounds like someone who sips overpriced wine in a French cafe and buys paintings with names like "three random drops of ink, plus canvas."

I use 'Racist' to mean that a certain group of people are being demonised for no good reason [the British] whilst another, supposedly superior people [the "Americans"] are being portrayed in a vastly superior light.

Was that really so hard to understand? Or did you choose the style over substance fallacy because you can't actually counter the point?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Wargamer said:
Then what should I use? "Culturalist"? That sounds like someone who sips overpriced wine in a French cafe and buys paintings with names like "three random drops of ink, plus canvas."

I use 'Racist' to mean that a certain group of people are being demonised for no good reason [the British] whilst another, supposedly superior people [the "Americans"] are being portrayed in a vastly superior light.

Was that really so hard to understand? Or did you choose the style over substance fallacy because you can't actually counter the point?
The closest you're going to get is "xenophobic". And that word still doesn't really work in this case.

And no, it was the fact that you used a word that didn't at all fit into the situation, and I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were talking about the Native American portrayal in this game. And that wasn't a point, because you hadn't really backed it up with anything. You just randomly called this game racist out of the blue. Forgive me for not catching onto the wrong definition that you meant.

HouseOfSyn

Nov 25, 2011
Wargamer said:
Gizmo1990 said:
These two get it. Learn your history before you comment on something you have little understanding of. The French and Spanish supported the Revolution in order to stretch the effectiveness of British forces across the World and the British effectively knew they had no option but to let the Revolutionaries win to focus on fighting a bigger war on the European continent. The British were stretched to their limit and didn't want the problem of keeping hold of a strip of land on the East coast of America when they were fighting to control far more important and richer colonies in Africa and India. Not to mention defending their homeland.

Lets wait until release to see how the Revolution is portrayed and which 'side' Conner (Ridiculous surname for a half-cast native/British by the way) is on. It could have been released for this very reason: To see how it would be received. The next one could very well show Conner stalking and assassinating a Revolutionary leader.

Also, Why on earth are you talking about the morality of the use of atomic bombs in this thread? You're off topic. Go somewhere else.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
yunabomb said:
I presumed that "his people" and "his nation" mean the Mohawks when I first read that. If it was referring to America that would be tragically ironic given the fact that Native Americans originally weren't allowed to be US citizens after America was founded.
This.

Seriously, guys.

Think about it.

dakenbake

Jul 16, 2012
Hmm, thinking about the Templars and what their goals are (lots of power and money, essentially) it would be interesting if the Revolution was stoked into full force (not completely orchestrated) by some well placed Templars; maybe some of Washington's mates or something. It'd make sense - weaken the established British power while simultaneously creating a new country with some Templars in very high positions indeed.

I know some Americans will probably hate me for the very suggestion that a fictional work could suggest their country was founded in part as part of a shadowy organisation's power play, but it could be pretty cool if done right, and Washington and co could still come out as cool guys, like Richard the Lionheart coming out OK at the end of AC1 even though half of his mates were blatant knobs.

They could also tie in some of that Illuminati nonsense with the pyramids and symbolism and all that crap scattered over D.C and the US currency - the Templars put it there! (wooooooh spooky ghost noise)

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
Korten12 said:
Sparrow said:
omega 616 said:
As a Brit.

To be honest I couldn't give a shit if Connor was totally "AMURICA! FUCK YEA!" let me slay thousands of English .... I have slain millions of Russians and I have never read an article in which Russians complain about always being the baddies.

What Happened to the British stiff upper lip? We are starting to get like stereotypical America "WAAAAH! Somebody did something mean to me! I am sooo offended! I will sue!" just get over it.

I wouldn't even care ubi said "Connor will be totally neutral" then proceeded to be the biggest killer of British ever, while no so much as giving a dirty look to an American. Even if they made the British look like bloodthirsty, baby killers and Americans to be the right hand of god, who never did a wrong and instead of killing us, they led us to the righteous path ....

The accent the people I am killing has no effect on my enjoyment of me massacring them.
Thing is, when was the last time America was the baddies? It seems that we forget America has been a villian as often as it has been the good guy. You know, Vietnam, that whole thing in the Middle East, that thing with the atomic bombs... yet, nope. America are never the bad guys! Variety is the spice of life, folks.

[sup]Plus, from what I saw in that trailer, they gave the English guys reeeeally bad accents. I mean, christ they were bad.[/sup]
Yeah but (and I don't mean this in a malicious way) your American, your likely to be biased. I am British so I am also likely to be biased.

OT: My main problem with this is that they showed their July the fourth trailer in the UK in the cinema when I went to see Batman. It is just odd to see my ancestors being killed by proud Americans and expected that this is completely inoffensive. We have already spent this millennium being Americas *****. :-(

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
TheDrunkNinja said:
Korten12 said:
Sparrow said:
Korten12 said:
Aside from the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the bombing of Dresden. I was talking overall. Could you make an arguement that Hitler and the Nazi's weren't almost essentially cartoon bad guys. Now granted, doesn't mean all Nazi's were racists, but the overall conflict was black and white.

I don't consider specific actions make a conflict black and white. Hell, I would be angry if they didn't show Americans doing some bad shit in AC3, but the overall conflict they can't possibly make the British look like good guys and the Americans as evil.
I remember hearing that one of the reasons for the south to go to war, was because the British wanted make slavery illegal. But i can't remember where i heard it, so i may be talking out of my ass.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Ziggy said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Korten12 said:
Sparrow said:
Korten12 said:
Aside from the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the bombing of Dresden. I was talking overall. Could you make an arguement that Hitler and the Nazi's weren't almost essentially cartoon bad guys. Now granted, doesn't mean all Nazi's were racists, but the overall conflict was black and white.

I don't consider specific actions make a conflict black and white. Hell, I would be angry if they didn't show Americans doing some bad shit in AC3, but the overall conflict they can't possibly make the British look like good guys and the Americans as evil.
I remember hearing that one of the reasons for the south to go to war, was because the British wanted make slavery illegal. But i can't remember where i heard it, so i may be talking out of my ass.
Sorry to say you crewed up the quote there, guy.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Uh it's just a bloody "America Fuck Yeah" ego stroking exercise at the moment in the advertising at least hell the game could actually be very neutral(I highly doubt it though) but I doubt that I will play AC3 anyway I stopped after the second one when they introduced the fucking stupidest plot-twist ever.