Assassin's Creed II Officially Unveiled

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Assassin's Creed II Officially Unveiled

Prepare to don your twin wrist-blades once again and take a trip to Renaissance-era Italy: Assassin's Creed II is slated to hit shelves by the end of the year.

Thanks to some folks on the Internet acquiring this month's Game Informer ahead of time - with its cover story on the second Assassin's Creed title - we already knew about the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90857-Assassins-Creed-2-Details-Revealed]. We already knew that it would take place during the Italian Renaissance, we already knew that we would be thrust into the shoes of disenfranchised young Florentine noble Ezio Auditore de Firenze ...

...but now it's official. Notably, Creative Director Patrice Desilets says that the team is working to improve on Assassin's Creed in every way (gee, how surprising!). Hopefully that means that they'll keep the freerunning parkour and climbing of the first game (just, uh, in Renaissance Italy instead of the Crusade-era Holy Land), while dialing back heavily on frustrating fights against 10 guys at once. Multiple fights against 10 guys at once - in a row. Without any save checkpoints between them. Yeah, let's do away with that, shall we?

Anyway, here's the full, formal press release:

[blockquote]UBISOFT® UNVEILS ASSASSIN'S CREED® II

SAN FRANCISCO - April 16, 2009 - Today Ubisoft announced that Ubisoft Montreal is developing Assassin's Creed II on all current-generation platforms for a scheduled Holiday 2009 release. The initial installment of Assassin's Creed® was released in November 2007 to popular and critical success, selling 8 million copies worldwide and garnering awards such as Best Action Game 2007 from 1UP and Outstanding Achievement in Animation from the AIAS.

Assassin's Creed II is the product of over two years of intensive development by the original creative team behind the Assassin's Creed brand. In a vast open world environment, the game invites players to incarnate Ezio, a privileged young noble in Renaissance Italy who's been betrayed by the rival ruling families of Italy. Ezio's subsequent quest for vengeance plunges players into a captivating and epic story that offers more variety in missions, surprising and engaging new gameplay elements, diverse weapons and a profound character progression that will appeal to fans of the original Assassin's Creed as well as entice players new to the brand.

"Our creative team is working hard to top the experience of Assassin's Creed," said Patrice Desilets, creative director at Ubisoft. "We've made improvements to every aspect of the game. We've plunged ourselves into the stunning history of the Italian Renaissance so that we can offer fans a unique, varied and innovative Assassin's Creed experience."

Additional details on Assassin's Creed II are revealed in the May issue of Game Informer.[/blockquote]

So. Where do we go from here? We've checked off the Crusades, the Renaissance... what next? Since we can presume that they'll continue the whole pretext of "reliving one's ancestral memories" from the first game, we can guess that these games will primarily be set in Europe - Desmond Miles ain't changing his ethnicity anytime soon. He'll just have to deal with being least profitable evil corporation ever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/5118-Stolen-Pixels-10-Gameplay-Tutorial].

Me, I'm pulling for Industrial Revolution-era England or something. That could be pretty badass. Either way, Assassin's Creed II is supposed to be on shelves by Holiday 2009.

Monkz.

Apr 14, 2009
Japan is my favorite for the AC3 :p
sounds pretty cool but Italian Renaissance just doesn't sound tht great to me.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Monkz. said:
Won't happen, unless they go with someone who isn't Desmond. He ain't Japanese.

Italian Renaissance is an infinitely more interesting (and exponentially less overdone) setting, IMO.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I just hope it won't be the same repeated experience like in the first one.

Catkid906 said:
As long as the voice actor isn't some cheesy Italian Guy like Mario, I'll get it.
I'm pretty sure it will be some guy with an american accent.

Chezzz

Dec 2, 2008
The moment i opened this page, without even reading the article, my first thought was, what the hell is he wearing, he looks like a drag queen

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Holiday?

Woot. Guess we don't have to upgrade (AGAIN) our PCs to Quads to run the game? ;d

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
There will probably be one more game after this were you get t play as Desmod in the modern urban city. But it would be cool if they had one maybe during WWII or the cold war playing sortof like a spy in some way where he was sent to different parts of the world. That would be neat.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chezzz said:
The moment i opened this page, without even reading the article, my first thought was, what the hell is he wearing, he looks like a drag queen
I don't see it. I think it looks like a pretty awesome blend of what Italian nobles during the Renaissance would wear, and the assassin getup we saw Altair in.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Chezzz said:
I don't see it. I think it looks like a pretty awesome blend of what Italian nobles during the Renaissance would wear, and the assassin getup we saw Altair in.
That's pretty much how I see it. the biggest difference I saw was the duelist's cloak (and the extra hidden blade thingy).

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I'd be surprised if this game gets released Holiday '09. What Ubisoft clearly hasn't anticipated is that Michael Flatley is going to sue for Lord of the Dance intellectual property rights infringement.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Chezzz said:
That is exactly what I think.

I, personally, can not wait for this game. I wasn't much of a fan of AC1 because it was to repetitive, but I heard that AC2 won't be as repetitive, and I also love the Renaissance, so once again I can not wait.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Monkz. said:
Won't happen, unless they go with someone who isn't Desmond. He ain't Japanese.

Italian Renaissance is an infinitely more interesting (and exponentially less overdone) setting, IMO.
It could very well happen actually, if you follow the meanings from the signs at the end of the first game.