Assassin's Creed III DLC Introduces King George Washington

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Assassin's Creed III DLC Introduces King George Washington

"I cannot tell a lie, it's good to be the king."

If you've played the Assassin's Creed series, then you already know that Ubisoft takes the occasional liberty with its historical figures. For the most part, this is a necessary compromise between an accurate representation of real individuals and the assassination-focused story Ubisoft wanted to tell. On the other hand, Ubisoft apparently has no problem jumping headlong into outrageous and insane alternate history scenarios when it comes to DLC. Case in point: The Tyranny of King George Washington, a single-player DLC campaign presenting America's first President as a power-mad monarch who oppresses the colonies that he once sought to free.

"History is our playground," said Executive Producer Sebastien Puel, "and AC teams have always loved playing with historical facts and their consequences as a way to better understand a time period ... While Assassin's Creed III concentrates on history as it happens, we wanted to take some liberties with this DLC and tell you how things 'could have happened.'"

The King Washington campaign, released episodically in three DLC packs, will detail an alternate ending to the events of Assassin's Creed III. After defeating the British and gaining independence (spoiler alert!), Washington establishes himself as America's king to quickly secure the future of the Thirteen Colonies. Once Washington inevitably becomes the very tyrant he once would have opposed, it's up to Connor to don an assassin's hood and lead a new rebellion against his former ally.

The concept is incredibly silly, but the more I think about it, the more I suspect it could be just what the franchise needs. Assassin's Creed II's annual sequels <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117830-Assassins-Creed-IIIs-Big-Jump-Only-Possible-Due-to-Annual-Releases>may have given Ubisoft the funding to make its latest game, but they didn't exactly break a lot of new ground either. An alternate history DLC campaign sounds like a fun way to experiment with the usual Assassin's Creed formula, and Ubisoft may sell a few more copies of its new game in the process. More importantly, if The Tyranny of King George Washington is successful, it might encourage Ubisoft to experiment further in the Assassin's Creed universe. I'm predicting a DLC campaign in which Connor teams up with Teddy Roosevelt to defeat Mecha-Hitler. In space.

Assassin's Creed III will launch on October 30th for PlayStation 3 and XBox 360, and in November for PC and Wii U platforms. The Tyranny of King George Washington will be included in an Assassin's Creed III Season Pass within six months of release.

Source: Joystiq

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I'm actually surprised it took Ubisoft this long to realise they have a machine that can be used to mess around with history. Personally I can't wait for World war 2 with dinosaurs!

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Fanghawk said:
I'm predicting a DLC campaign in which Connor teams up with Teddy Roosevelt to defeat Mecha-Hitler. In space.
YES YES YES YES. ALL THE WANT. How could you not love this idea?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Baldry said:
I'm actually surprised it took Ubisoft this long to realise they have a machine that can be used to mess around with history. Personally I can't wait for World war 2 with dinosaurs!
Surely you know about this then?

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
sounds pretty sweet, as long as you get to actually assassinate Washington otherwise it will just be a massive cop out. I wonder if they came up with this idea to appease all the "OMG THIS GAME IS SO ANTI BRITISH" people. I'm also looking forward to the inevitable controversy.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Note that perhaps the biggest reason that Washington was elected in the first place was because precisely because he had already demonstrated that he wouldn't seize power...

SPOILERS FOR ASSASSIN'S CREED 2:

Not that I was expecting much more than a cosmetic attention to history from a series which featured a fist fight with the Pope for the MacGuffin of Ultimate and Poorly Defined Power, immediately followed by a nice chat with a random god suddenly magicked into existence by inconsistent writing.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
PunkRex said:
Baldry said:
My God. I knew it would be beautiful...But this beyond my wildest dreams! Though in my dreams it was more epic and people were riding the dinosaurs and they were on both side but this'll do for now.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Cue the right wing rage over the fact that a bunch of French people are trying to sully the good name of George Washington.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Baldry said:
PunkRex said:
Baldry said:
My God. I knew it would be beautiful...But this beyond my wildest dreams! Though in my dreams it was more epic and people were riding the dinosaurs and they were on both side but this'll do for now.
Mine was very much like yours... but with more nudity.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
PunkRex said:
Baldry said:
PunkRex said:
Baldry said:
Mine was very much like yours... but with more nudity.
Pretty sure that was an orgy not a war. I mean, I know all's fair in love and war but that's taking it to a new extreme...

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
This makes me much more enthusiastic about this game. I enjoy the AC games, but the historical inaccuracies can get at me, and coming into colonial history, there's going to have to be at least some level of whitewashing to make it palatable - but going into zany alternate history sidesteps those problems, so hell yeah!

Imagine if the DLC becomes so popular that it actually starts an Alternate Timeline franchise of fully-developed games. I mean, they've already gone more far-fetched than that with the stuff they're doing in Desmond-time, and if they can really pull out all the stops on the fun angle, I can see it going places. DO IT, UBISOFT!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Didn't the director just bash Japanese games for being too silly?

Glass houses man.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
As a fan of the Red Alert 3 mission where you launch a sneak attack on a Japanese Pearl Harbor as the Americans, I support this DLC.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
It's funny because there were a few people who served under Washington during the war who actually wanted to put him in charge as the King of America due to how pissed off they were at congress. Washington was furious and declined of course, but what if he didn't?

MarnaxCBRM

Feb 29, 2012
Personally, I think it's a cool idea. I hope they handle this well, and that it is good enough that they're willing to make more alternate history stuff.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I'm surprised no one's upset that they're announcing DLC before the game's even out yet. I guess it's because this sounds so freakin' cool. Seriously, Ubisoft, this is a great direction to go in. Keep the main game accurate to history (within reason) and take some unique liberties with the DLC. People who don't buy the DLC don't get upset because, well, it's all a bunch of made up crap anyways, but the people who do buy it get a unique experience that couldn't otherwise be found in the main game, so they don't feel cheated. Love it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.390055-Assassins-Creed-III-DLC-Features-Evil-George-Washington>BEAT YOU TO IT BEAT YOU TO IT BEAT YOU TO IT! Aahhhh, it feels good to be on top of things.

Anyways, I think this sounds amazing. Good show, Ubisoft.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Historical accurate my ass. Several months ago I swear they were telling us how they're going to try and make the game as close to history as possible. As much as this aspeases the anti Washington in, it just seams stupid...