Assassin's Creed III Supports Microtransactions

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Assassin's Creed III Supports Microtransactions

American and British currency are both good for bypassing level restrictions.

If it's anything like the previous titles, Assassin's Creed III will probably justify its $60 price tag with a lengthy campaign, tons of side missions, and extensive multiplayer options. However, Ubisoft sees no reason why it can't ask a few dollars more of those willing to pay. As of this week, players can purchase "Erudito Packs" with price tags ranging up to $20 in order to unlock multiplayer content for the soon-to-be-released title.

The Erudito Packs, so named for an its fair share of DLC [http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Erudito] slated for the near future, so it's not impossible. The cheapest pack, weighing in at 80 Microsoft Points or $1 on PSN, will give 20 units of Erudito's currency, while the heftiest will set you back 1600 MSP or $20 and net you 925 of them.

Alain Martinez, Ubisoft's CFO, addressed the possibility of adding microtransactions to Ubisoft games in a previous interview: "[In] the future ... we could see more opportunity for $60 games to learn from the free-to-play model," he said. "The next generation will offer more and more item-based content. This will benefit our games' profitability." Apparently, the next generation is already here, but Ubisoft will have to wait a few weeks to see if its earnings respond accordingly. It's hard to find fault in Martinez's logic; after all, the operational cost of hosting microtransaction DLC packs is almost nil, so even a relatively small number of consumers should make the venture profitable.

Source: Worthplaying [http://worthplaying.com/article/2012/10/27/news/87368/]

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Wow... I was remotely considering getting this game too. Well, at least my mind's been made up for me now. Is there anything that publishers won't charge extra for at the moment?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh boy. I can hear the shit storm coming. Ah well, still getting Assassin's Creed 3. I'm just gonna...you know...NOT buy this stuff.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
No one is making you buy it so whats the issue? There is always some idiots willing to pay to cheat, as it were. I wouldnt let it effect your enjoyment of the game. Just see it as there are always suckers that are easily parted from their money.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
yeah, you can pay to unlock stuff early. if you really want this game, something like that shouldn't stop you buying it.

actually if you want to demonstrate that you don't care for microtransactions in a full priced game, why not buy the game and not buy the extra stuff

erttheking said:
Oh boy. I can hear the shit storm coming. Ah well, still getting Assassin's Creed 3. I'm just gonna...you know...NOT buy this stuff.
like he said

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
You know I don't really have anything against micro transactions but the whole points thing is getting a bit annoying. I mean I would have to spend real money to buy Microsoft points to buy Erudito points to buy dlc. Why can't they just cost real money?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Eh, if they know the market's there, why not cater to them?

I can't imagine who would honestly pay to win, maybe it is a little underhanded to cater to those people, but...if anything it's a sound business decision, if not a good gaming decision.

I'll still be getting it, touched the multiplayer in previous games once, and never will again.

SonOfVoorhees said:
No one is making you buy it so whats the issue? There is always some idiots willing to pay to cheat, as it were. I wouldnt let it effect your enjoyment of the game. Just see it as there are always suckers that are easily parted from their money.
The unfortunate thing here being that the reigns of the multiplayer are essentially handed over to those who paid to win, they'll have a significant advantage which may affect personal enjoyment, depending on who's paid to win.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Clearly they've not learnt that free-to-play games have micro-transactions because they're otherwise free.

Core concept, Lana.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
Sounds like paying to level up to me. I get why people dont like this but I also hate the concept of good gear being limited to the highly skilled. It throws of balance even more. Paying for gear and levels seems to help even the playing field between those who have jobs and those who play all day.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Pay-to-win gaming makes the leap to consoles, hurrah... also you know Free to Play means it doesn't cost $60 out the gate, right Ubisoft?

Just more reasons to hate the French.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Fuck off Ubisoft. Either you have a title that costs money when you buy it, or you make it free and have microtransactions.

On the other hand, I guess its not a new thing. Developers have been nickle and diming their way along for ages now, in a very simular fashion, except they call it "DLC packs".
At least most DLC nets you something additional.. this is like.. well.. buying levels.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
1 step forward, 2 steps back.
They got rid of their craptastic DRM (which I refused to put up with so I didn't buy any of their games) to come out with the idea that they should stick microtransactions into their full price games?
If they actually do end up withholding content that people will have to pay again for to access in their full price game then I will point blank refuse to buy a game like that.

If I'm paying £40 for a game, then I expect to receive the full product. I suppose if I was pushed I could accept them limiting micro-transactions to unlocking game modes or levels earlier than usual, as long as someone who doesn't pay can still get the content with reasonably little hassle, but it's a very slippery slope to going full-blown F2P restrictions with a P2P pricetag.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
No. No no no no no no no. No. No no. Nine. No. Uh uh. No way.

I am still ircked by how DLC has grown in a horrible way (not all of it), but microtransactions in a $60 NEW game? No.

If you really want this, be fair at the games release. Dont do it until the price drops in stores, so that the people who buy it then can get into the game. Battlefield did it that way, and it worked pretty well. But at the release of a game? No.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I dont see this as too much of a problem. It sounds like it'll just be some multiplayer skins and items, and considering the competitiveness of the game does rely mostly on player skill, and not how many smoke bombs you can carry, I think it won't be tipping the balance too far in either direction. So long as it doesn't mean we're getting single player content cut, or multiplayer features withheld, I think what they're doing is perfectly fine.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
This sounds a lot like the system in Mass Effect 3 where you can buy little packs for money if you feel like it. Meh, that's okay. It seems unlikely that I will, but remember that little trick got us free multiplayer maps for ME3, so maybe Ubisoft will be nice and cuddly and give away something for free too... maybe... right? Hello? Anyone?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, money grubbing French Canadians! In all seriousness though, the game isn't going to be so good that it's worth caring about this. It sucks for the fans of the series, but I would only ever buy this on super cheap sale anyway. The only game I bought from this series first thing was the first one.

In all fairness though, judging by the language being used it sounds like you are buying level unlocks early. Not paying to win. I understand the fear, but we should at least wait till we have played the game before deciding this is the worst thing. As soon as they are cutting out content to sell as a microtransaction, I will be just as outraged as some people no doubt are.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
It's the idea that they're withholding content that should've been in the game.

But I get your point, I'll buy the game but not the content.