Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Dr.Panties said:
Musicfreak said:
Dr.Panties said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:
Yep, I keep hoping for one to turn out well. I buy pretty much any new high-profile game, regardless of genre.
So you're rewarding them for the bad games. That makes perfect sense.
Hey, now. There's nothing wrong with blind fanaticism. ;P
Actually, I purchase, play, review and then retain or recycle (give away), depending on quality.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:
Yep, I keep hoping for one to turn out well. I buy pretty much any new high-profile game, regardless of genre.
How would I know whether they are bad games unless I play them for myself? There is absolutely no rental option in this country.

Wait Wait Wait let me get this straight. You can't think of any way of judging a games quality other than buying it and playing it. Nothing comes to mind. Nothing at all. Nothing that you yourself might do in your spare time. Nothing that starts with the r word. Something that you yourself mentioned mere sentences ago. Nah your right I can't think of anything.

Wait, wait, wait...you're going to tell me that I should blindly accept the opinions of others over forming my own judgments? Reviews are merely indicative, not representative. And how I spend my time and money has no bearing whatsoever on my criticisms of any media in which I may choose to indulge.
Not to be nosy, but I can respect that. I wouldn't be able to afford to buy a game, try it out, sell it and get the next best thing. Monetary issues. So I have to rely on critics and stuff to tell me if a game is good. But there's nothing like playing a game and forming your own opinion about it.
If you tell people you hate, let's say, God of War, you can back up that statement by explaining you've played the game already rather than just say something like "That one article says the story is nonsense" or "I heard the combat system was dumb".

Because I love videogames, I love to play all sorts of games. Good and bad. Those who seem like something I might love and those who I might hate. It broadens my horizons and stuff. So kudos to you, sir/ma'am. Keep doing what you're doing.

OT: My job requires me to get people excited about upcoming games. And hey, I love me some AC. But even I have to admit it's really hard to like a series that's milking a franchise for all its worth. And every single games out there is probably getting tired of this annual release. Here's why:

-In about a year, AC3 will probably 20 bucks brand new. So why get it this year?
-I haven't even finished Brohood and then this. I do wanna play AC3 but not as much as I wanna finish the other games first.
-In fact, why worry about the upcoming AC game? Next year it will be the same thing over and over again. I don't even have time to get excited about the upcoming sequel.

AC, you're not a sports game. Madden and FIFA can kinda get away with it because new players come and go each year and new things happen and stuff. But you, AC? You can only use the same formula over and over again and disguise it with a different outfit for so long.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
arc1991 said:
getting the Golden Mask in 2 etc.)
*twitch* Don't remind me. That part of the game was so contrived and ridiculous that Shamus Young quit when he got to it. [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14257]

Shamus Young said:
This is, on balance, dumber than anything in Fallout 3. There. I said it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Amnestic said:
arc1991 said:
getting the Golden Mask in 2 etc.)
*twitch* Don't remind me. That part of the game was so contrived and ridiculous that Shamus Young quit when he got to it. [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14257]

Shamus Young said:
This is, on balance, dumber than anything in Fallout 3. There. I said it.
Heh, i didn't mind that part of the game(well...It's annoying, but not exactly a reason not to play it) it was a break from the whole, killing aspect of the game. Not the perfect way admittedly but it could of been a lot worse :p

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
arc1991 said:
Dr.Panties said:
Falseprophet said:
Dr.Panties said:
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Dr.Panties said:
And how about the distinct lack of any mechanics that can even be equated with stealth? You know, like crouching, sneaking, illumination and darkness? You think a haystack suffices? Not one of the protagonists in any of these games has been an actual assassin. They've all been "brigands", or "thugs". "Assassins's" Creed is a misnomer, and your games suck.
I don't think you know what an assassin is. Stealth is not a requisite to being an assassin.
Oh, ok. You keep telling yourself that, as you wade (ie: single button tap) through 15 armed and armoured soldiers like a "realistic" assassin. Or "blend" in with your inconspicuous assassin's outfit and arsenal.

Seriously? You're actually going to maintain that stealth and artifice were not essential components of an assassin's modus operandi during any of the historical periods presented in these games?
I'm going to maintain that. Historically, most assassins were motivated by an ideological agenda or trying to make a statement, were usually extremely showy and unsubtle in their attempts, and were apprehended or killed in the aftermath. This is especially true of the historical Ḥashshashin.

It's only the 20th century that's invented this notion that "assassins" are cold, calculating, subtle professionals while "thugs" and "hitmen" are brash dumb killers, when historically the opposite is true.
They were trained by their masters to disguise themselves, sneak in to enemy territory and perform the assassinations instead of simply attacking their target outright."

-Wiki
Not one to cause up an argument or anything...but that is EXACTLY what you do in Assassins Creed 2, Brotherhood, and Revalations.

In some you disguise yourself to get to your target (Dressing up as a Ottoman Gaurd in Revelations, getting the Golden Mask in 2 etc.) Sneaking into enemy territory you pretty much every assassination, and you can perform Assassinations without drawing attention, it's actually not that difficult.
My point pertains to the disconnect between these actions and the mechanics available. The mechanics have nothing to do with any notion of "sneaking" or stealth. This can even extend to illumination and darkness, and the effect they also have on stealth. As I mentioned, I also have a big problem with the "blend" mechanic.

Furthermore, the disguise scenarios to which you refer are scripted, non-optional events.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
true again. even when i enjoyed revelations, it wasnt as good as as AC2 or brotherhood but it still explained more of the story.
and its obvious that they dont want to take many risks but this also makes them blind to make changes that would be good. i guess they dont read communities suggestions to improve things.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Dr.Panties said:
arc1991 said:
Dr.Panties said:
Falseprophet said:
Dr.Panties said:
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Dr.Panties said:
And how about the distinct lack of any mechanics that can even be equated with stealth? You know, like crouching, sneaking, illumination and darkness? You think a haystack suffices? Not one of the protagonists in any of these games has been an actual assassin. They've all been "brigands", or "thugs". "Assassins's" Creed is a misnomer, and your games suck.
I don't think you know what an assassin is. Stealth is not a requisite to being an assassin.
Oh, ok. You keep telling yourself that, as you wade (ie: single button tap) through 15 armed and armoured soldiers like a "realistic" assassin. Or "blend" in with your inconspicuous assassin's outfit and arsenal.

Seriously? You're actually going to maintain that stealth and artifice were not essential components of an assassin's modus operandi during any of the historical periods presented in these games?
I'm going to maintain that. Historically, most assassins were motivated by an ideological agenda or trying to make a statement, were usually extremely showy and unsubtle in their attempts, and were apprehended or killed in the aftermath. This is especially true of the historical Ḥashshashin.

It's only the 20th century that's invented this notion that "assassins" are cold, calculating, subtle professionals while "thugs" and "hitmen" are brash dumb killers, when historically the opposite is true.
They were trained by their masters to disguise themselves, sneak in to enemy territory and perform the assassinations instead of simply attacking their target outright."

-Wiki
Not one to cause up an argument or anything...but that is EXACTLY what you do in Assassins Creed 2, Brotherhood, and Revalations.

In some you disguise yourself to get to your target (Dressing up as a Ottoman Gaurd in Revelations, getting the Golden Mask in 2 etc.) Sneaking into enemy territory you pretty much every assassination, and you can perform Assassinations without drawing attention, it's actually not that difficult.
My point pertains to the disconnect between these actions and the mechanics available. The mechanics have nothing to do with any notion of "sneaking" or stealth. This can even extend to illumination and darkness, and the effect they also have on stealth. As I mentioned, I also have a big problem with the "blend" mechanic.

Furthermore, the disguise scenarios to which you refer are scripted, non-optional events.
I'm sorry, does every game have to have Optional events? It's part of the story, like it or not.

And maybe so, but you can easily avoid detection by climbing on buildings, going into hay wagons, etc, all to avoid detection, and unfortunately, that's what we are stuck with. For all we know, AC3 has a much better stealth system.

If you only have the Stealth Mechanic and the optional events as complaints about the game, then i suggest looking at it in a bigger picture. Sure it may be some of the same stuff over and over, but it's stuff that works. They include new stuff every game (Hook Blade, Bombs, Crossbow) to change things up, and again, it works.

Can we not wait till AC3 is out before we say "they do the same crap every game" considering this game has been in development longer than most games coming out this year have? Brotherhood and Revelations were by no means perfect, but butchering them to death isn't going to solve that. If you don't like the games, fine, but don't complain about them when you buy them KNOWING you won't like them.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Dr.Panties said:
Musicfreak said:
Dr.Panties said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:
Actually, I purchase, play, review and then retain or recycle (give away), depending on quality.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:
How would I know whether they are bad games unless I play them for myself? There is absolutely no rental option in this country.[/quot

Wait Wait Wait let me get this straight. You can't think of any way of judging a games quality other than buying it and playing it. Nothing comes to mind. Nothing at all. Nothing that you yourself might do in your spare time. Nothing that starts with the r word. Something that you yourself mentioned mere sentences ago. Nah your right I can't think of anything.

Wait, wait, wait...you're going to tell me that I should blindly accept the opinions of others over forming my own judgments? Reviews are merely indicative, not representative. And how I spend my time and money has no bearing whatsoever on my criticisms of any media in which I may choose to indulge.
Not to be nosy, but I can respect that. I wouldn't be able to afford to buy a game, try it out, sell it and get the next best thing. Monetary issues. So I have to rely on critics and stuff to tell me if a game is good. But there's nothing like playing a game and forming your own opinion about it.
If you tell people you hate, let's say, God of War, you can back up that statement by explaining you've played the game already rather than just say something like "That one article says the story is nonsense" or "I heard the combat system was dumb".

Because I love videogames, I love to play all sorts of games. Good and bad. Those who seem like something I might love and those who I might hate. It broadens my horizons and stuff. So kudos to you, sir/ma'am. Keep doing what you're doing.

OT: My job requires me to get people excited about upcoming games. And hey, I love me some AC. But even I have to admit it's really hard to like a series that's milking a franchise for all its worth. And every single games out there is probably getting tired of this annual release. Here's why:

-In about a year, AC3 will probably 20 bucks brand new. So why get it this year?
-I haven't even finished Brohood and then this. I do wanna play AC3 but not as much as I wanna finish the other games first.
-In fact, why worry about the upcoming AC game? Next year it will be the same thing over and over again. I don't even have time to get excited about the upcoming sequel.

AC, you're not a sports game. Madden and FIFA can kinda get away with it because new players come and go each year and new things happen and stuff. But you, AC? You can only use the same formula over and over again and disguise it with a different outfit for so long.
I appreciate your input. I love gaming, and enjoy supporting- and criticising- the industry. To do so objectively and constructively, I feel that I need to experience the games for myself. And it's not wasteful- the games that I don't keep are given away to appropriately aged youth who would otherwise not be able to regularly afford them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dr.Panties said:
What the hell has that got to do with anything? What does the sentence even mean? Should I not spend my own money and free time in such a way?

If you define it as "pissing" away money, then you don't need to do the same, but don't pretend that you're bringing anything to the discussion.
You're the one who seems dissatisfied with your purchases. Not even sure why you think this doesn't make sense, as you're actively defending how you effectively have no choice but to buy bad games.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
arc1991 said:
Dr.Panties said:
arc1991 said:
Dr.Panties said:
Falseprophet said:
Dr.Panties said:
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Dr.Panties said:

-Wiki

I'm sorry, does every game have to have Optional events? It's part of the story, like it or not.

And maybe so, but you can easily avoid detection by climbing on buildings, going into hay wagons, etc, all to avoid detection, and unfortunately, that's what we are stuck with. For all we know, AC3 has a much better stealth system.

If you only have the Stealth Mechanic and the optional events as complaints about the game, then i suggest looking at it in a bigger picture. Sure it may be some of the same stuff over and over, but it's stuff that works. They include new stuff every game (Hook Blade, Bombs, Crossbow) to change things up, and again, it works.

Can we not wait till AC3 is out before we say "they do the same crap every game" considering this game has been in development longer than most games coming out this year have? Brotherhood and Revelations were by no means perfect, but butchering them to death isn't going to solve that. If you don't like the games, fine, but don't complain about them when you buy them KNOWING you won't like them.
If we are talking about something that should be an elementary tactic/mechanic for an assassin, then yes, I believe that a disguise option should be available throughout the entire series. Like in Hitman, for instance (not promoting these games over AC franchise, just mentioning a good mechanic).

And my other major problem is with the overall control system, with its inherent automation. I want more challenge and direct input/feedback within a tight control system. I want to feel skillful and involved when doing all of these cool things, and I'm worried about this being progressively stripped away in so many modern games.

Another thing, I never know for sure that I'm not going to like an AC game when I buy it. I want this series to be better- look at the amazing worlds they give us. I want the gameplay to match. I still hold out hope for Assassins' Creed III, but you can bet that will still voice my criticisms if it doesn't address some of my concerns with the franchise.

Look, I understand that you are defending a game you enjoy. I'm not attacking you for enjoying it. I'm stating why/how I think it needs to be better. I'm criticising the developers for implementing such mechanics in the first place, and forgetting the most fundamental aspect of their game- how it plays.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:
What the hell has that got to do with anything? What does the sentence even mean? Should I not spend my own money and free time in such a way?

If you define it as "pissing" away money, then you don't need to do the same, but don't pretend that you're bringing anything to the discussion.
You're the one who seems dissatisfied with your purchases. Not even sure why you think this doesn't make sense, as you're actively defending how you effectively have no choice but to buy bad games.
I'm dissatisfied with the games, not purchasing them. I'm criticising the games.

If I purchase a bad game, does that mean I cannot criticise it? Even if previous experience with a certain genre/franchise, and reviews indicate that I won't enjoy the game, I'm still willing to give it a go. If it turns out to be good for me, that's a bonus. If not, that's a shame. Either way, I have the basis to discuss it.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Actino said:
Dr.Panties said:
Vault101 said:
Dr.Panties said:
uhhhh?

you hate the games

so you keep buying them...

and I think your kind of missing the "point" of the assasin order (or their original doctrin)

And I'm not missing the point of anything here, but I'm sure that you'll attempt to enlighten me in this regard. My biggest problem is with the mechanics. They just aren't good enough, and indicative of an overall awful trend towards automation, streamlining, minimising player input. Dreadful.
That's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever read, except the bible.
Only 20 posts and already insulting the bible. You'll fight in pretty well.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Ironically, I really think Mass Effect could have benefited from a system like this. If they'd given us three faffing about seasons (ME1 and 2), two or three Shit just got Real seasons (most of 3), and then an actual epic finale game, it would have been a better series as a whole...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I thought Revelations was way better than Brotherhood. Rome was kind of bland after a while, which is weird considering how pretty AC2 was following up to the Mideastern settings in 1. Revelations, especially the story and new characters/setting, pretty much is what drew me back into the series and got me to be like "okay...I'm okay with all these AC games coming out"

not that I'm fond of companies doing annual releases (e.g. CoD) but so far AC has done good (enough) so...well AC3 looks good so fingers crossed

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Last year's Assassin's Creed: Revelations was the most poorly received title in the Assassin's Creed II trilogy. In fact, its Metacritic score of 80 makes it the lowest scoring title in the main series.
That's cos it was just AC:B set in Turkey.

And the story was seriously stretched out.

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Dr.Panties said:
Musicfreak said:
Dr.Panties said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:

Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:
How would I know whether they are bad games unless I play them for myself? There is absolutely no rental option in this country.

Ummmm no that's actually the exact opposite of what I said. I'm curious as to why you would write reviews when you don't seem to think that they have any use in informing a consumer whether a product is worth purchasing or not. Especially seeing as how that's kind of the whole point of reviews. Are you really so egotistical that only your opinion on the game matters. O and by the way the "you have to experience something firsthand before you can form an opinion on it" argument is just a hilariously flawed argument. You pretty much can't comment on just about any event that occurred before your birth under that logic.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Musicfreak said:
Dr.Panties said:
Musicfreak said:
Dr.Panties said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:

Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:

Ummmm no that's actually the exact opposite of what I said. I'm curious as to why you would write reviews when you don't seem to think that they have any use in informing a consumer whether a product is worth purchasing or not. Especially seeing as how that's kind of the whole point of reviews. Are you really so egotistical that only your opinion on the game matters. O and by the way the "you have to experience something firsthand before you can form an opinion on it" argument is just a hilariously flawed argument. You pretty much can't comment on just about any event that occurred before your birth under that logic.
Heh, you are seriously hedging your argument here.

(1) Not once did I say that reviews have no relevance. I said they are "indicative". They're also informative, and a great basis for discussion. I just don't allow reviews to inform my final opinion of a game. I play the game for myself, and subsequently form my own opinion.

(2) I never said, or even implied, that my opinion is the only one that matters. That would be boring and counterproductive, if there were only one valid opinion.

(3) Your final point is the weakest of the three. I'm not talking about "experiencing something firsthand". I'm talking about playing games, and only playing games. Why the hell did you even bring "events" to the table, let alone events that predate my birth? How is that even remotely relevant? Or "logical", since you mention that as well?