Assassin's Creed Unity Runs at 900p Resolution to "Avoid All the Debates" - Updated

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Resolution debate still to this day is about the dumbest thing people can get mad about imo.

As long as the game isn't lagging in fucking single player mode I could care fucking less what resolution they put it on.

Sep 14, 2009
haha oh that update statement is about the most bland cover your ass statement any PR could ever make.

Dont wishy washy it ubisoft, you could clearly do better but you are cutting corners to accommodate the lowest common denominator that you want to sell to. We'd be getting the same response with the wiiU if you decided to include that.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Their official statement amounts to literally nothing but "we don't want to pick sides, but we would like to emphasize that rather than sink to incompetence we work hard to rise to mediocrity."

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
sigh. i suppose we should be greatful developers aren't pumping so much graphics tech into nextgen games that the resolution hasn't dropped BELLOW 720.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Hey, Ubisoft, call me when hell freezes over, and then I'll believe whatever it is you're saying in regards to any sentence containing "PC".

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
"We have to run at 30 FPS because AI" I... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, what a huge ass load of BS.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I'm just going to agitate a bit more (because why not) and point out that if Black Flag is anything to go by, I'm not holding my breath. Black Flag's performance is abysmal even on my brand new shiny custom-built desktop.

So I'm facing a dilemma here. The game does look interesting enough with the fancy new setting and the redesigned combat and the renewed focus on stealth and this being the first time since AC1 (i.e. the first time in almost 8 years) that they changed the main character's animation set in any way. So on one hand, I'm inclined to buy this one. On the other hand, it's another bloody assassin's creed game. I've played it all before. And they stopped being good like five minutes before AC2 ended (with the possible exception of black flag - but I amount that new feeling resembling a bit of fun to the combination of a pirate setting and ridiculously low expectations).

And now there's this. the guarantee that if I decide to buy it, I'm pretty much given a choice between a consistently shit performance on the PS4 and a poorly optimised mess of a PC port that has the potential to run better than the PS4 version (simply by being on the PC) but most likely won't.

Any suggestions? The best idea I've had so far was to stop spending so much time thinking about pointless shit like this and finish my degree. Not a fan of that one though.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Dragonbums said:
Resolution debate still to this day is about the dumbest thing people can get mad about imo.

As long as the game isn't lagging in fucking single player mode I could care fucking less what resolution they put it on.
But the game is all about the drop-in online co-op feature being shoehorned into the game because you have to play online in every game evar or else you aren't playing games right! So of course it'll lag because you'll have that to look forward to as well.

OT: I'm not a graphics snob by any means. But I like how each new news drop of this game is just making Unity sound less and less compelling by the second... which is sad because I was really hoping French Revolution would be the one game they make in the series I'd give a shit about. Guess I'll wait for Feudal Japan (like that'll ever happen).

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
"We could be running at 100fps if it was just graphics, but because of AI, we're still limited to 30 frames per second."

So why isn't it running at 1080p then if you have all those GPU resources left unused?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Assassin's Creed Unity has been engineered from the ground up for next-generation consoles. Over the past 4 years, we have created Assassin's Creed Unity to attain the tremendous level of quality we have now achieved on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. It's a process of building up toward our goals, not scaling down, and we're proud to say that we have reached those goals on all SKUs.

At no point did we decide to reduce the ambitions of any SKU. All benefited from the full dedication of all of our available optimization resources to help them reach the level of quality we have today with the core Assassin's Creed Unity experience."
Hahahaha.

Does this kind of thinking apply to their employees when they go for a performance review? "Well sir, mediocrity has been my goal all along, and I'm proud to say I've built towards it rather than having to scale back my ambitions. Can I have a raise now?"

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Even if both consoles run the game at the same resolution and same framerate, I'd still go for the PS4 version if I was a console gamer. It's still a more powerful system which means that there is less chance of framerate dropping below 30. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone suffered from fps drops.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Those saying only a couple of games are 1080/60...http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates. Exaggeration is rampant on that.

As for the story that I heard elsewhere a little while back before I was watching Raw. Doesn't really matter to me, I know a lot of PC gamers are going to be pissed if they lock the frame rate and perhaps tie it to the speed of the game for a further finger. PS4 gamers may also be pissed on other sites perhaps, but this is the escapist so moot factor.
Me? I play Assassins Creed if its given through PS+, and even than I might not bother. I don't buy that crap, and considering how I just recently bought another bloody game (a SRPG FYI) to add to my constantly growing backlog I won't be playing either.

The whole resolution and frame rate bunkum doesn't much bother me to start with anyway. Unity will be like most ubisoft games, so average its average. 1080/60 wasn't going to change that.

KaZuYa said:
You know this is the last console generation anyway? Sony and Microsoft have pretty much said so, they lose money on every console they make. The future is plug and play upgradable PC boxes that's why Valve a company known for it's savvy business is creating the Steam Box but not actually making it themselves allowing hardware companies to create their own but what Valve is doing is creating an OS so Microsoft/Google or other software companies can't hold them and their customers to ransom with licensing costs.
This supposed to be a joke? Or do you just not know how console money making works?
The rest of the post is embarrassing so I'll not go into it.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Charcharo said:
HOWEVER METRO LAST LIGHT REDUX looks noticeably SUPERIOR to Unity and is 1080p 60 fps on PS4 and 912p on Xbox One. Yet again Ubisoft cant code as well as a low budget eastern European studio...
If only people paid attention when I was talking... that is what you get.
Exactly, and what about Shadow of Mordor? It runs 60fps at 1080p on the PS4 and it looks just as good (if not better) graphically and the AI and CPU intensive tasks are on par or surpass that of Assassin's Creed.

Infamous Second Son runs 1080p/30fps and it is a large open world with plenty of AI.

Sleeping Dogs HD will run at 60fps/1080p. Akiba's trip on the PS4 (another open world game with lots of AI, though cel-shaded graphics) runs 1080p/60fps. Hell, even GTA V will run at 1080p on the PS4 (though only at 30fps) and that is a much bigger game than ACU, and how about this one for a kicker: ACIV: Black Flag runs at 1080p on the PS4 (30fps)... so they can't even code as well as a previous title in the franchise.

Ubisoft couldn't code themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Honestly, I can understand being restricted to 30fps OR only being able to hit 900p.. but both? really? Even though the last AC was 1080p? and every single game on the ps4 released so far is at least 1080p/30fps, with many being 60fps, with only TWO exceptions.. and one of those exceptions happens to be another Ubisoft game, Watch dogs, which runs 900p/30fps of course.. their favourite numbers!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I can't believe Ubisoft chose to gimp the PS4 version to appease Microsoft. Combine that with the shocking Tomb Raider grab, and can anyone argue that Microsoft is not toxic to gaming?

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Ubisoft is now my favourite publisher just because of how hilariously terrible they are. They're being so sincere about how much they're unwittingly being rubbish.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
erbkaiser said:
I can't believe Ubisoft chose to gimp the PS4 version to appease Microsoft. Combine that with the shocking Tomb Raider grab, and can anyone argue that Microsoft is not toxic to gaming?
->
I can't believe Ubisoft chose to gimp the PC version to appease Sony and Microsoft. Combine that with the shocking Destiny and Tomb Raider grab, and can anyone argue that Sony and Microsoft are not toxic to gaming?

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Grabehn said:
"We have to run at 30 FPS because AI" I... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, what a huge ass load of BS.
No, that's actually true. If you tie your AI to the refresh rate, anyway.

They could avoid doing it, but doing it this way is cheaper.