Assassin's Creed: Unity's Microtransactions Won't "Compromise" The Game

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Gethsemani said:
shrekfan246 said:
The thing about that is that when a game is built around the idea of having micro-transactions implemented, the developers need to create an incentive to get the player to spend their money. Otherwise, what's the point, right? So unlocking items gets more and more tedious, more and more frustrating, takes longer and longer to do because you have to gather more and more bear asses before you can pass the arbitrary gate, and then we're tumbling down along that slippery slope where content in full-price single-player games is being treated the same way as online free-to-play games.

Maybe it's an extreme ending I'm looking at here, but if there's anything I've learned in the past few months, it's that big game publishers are giving us all the cause in the world to be increasingly skeptical of their actions, even despite how much I've been trying to believe that they aren't bullheadedly racing towards bankruptcy.
Fast track DLC is not necessarily bad though. It serves a purpose for those that want to enjoy the game but don't have the time to complete every side mission in order to unlock the coolest weapon, costume, horse or whatever else can be unlocked. Instead they can still get to use the cool stuff if they are ready to fork over some cash. So far I haven't used it myself, but as someone who will be a parent in two months I can totally see myself using it down the line when I have maybe four or five hours a week to play but still want to see some of all that cool content I just don't have time to grind for.
It's when they go after the money from those who want to experience the troubles thus making the prize more satisfing, that it becomes crap. Gameplay crippled to be a ridicusly difficult and boring test of patience, instead of a entertaining challenge? NO WAY!

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Microtransactions should only be used as a fast track, and I don't care at all about those. They don't impact me in any way. Any locking off of content entirely, however, behind microtransactions then that is upsetting. Hopefully they don't go that route.