Assumptions you hate.

cgride555

Aug 15, 2008
People assume guy photographers are gay. Not only are we not gay, we've stumbled upon the golden ticket! I am a photojournalist, so I get paid to go out to some of the hottest events, point a very phallic symbol at women and shoot them in the face! HA-HA-HAAAAA!

All joking aside, I have every reason to instigate a conversation with the ladies because I have to take their picture. I act all serious about my composition or lighting all the while cracking my jokes, which they eat up because I have all their undivided attention. Then the girls say they look ugly or fat, so another joke at their expense, then I pay them a compliment to let them know I was kidding. This is what flirting is, but they don't quite get that! I'm just doin' my job...

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
One i tend to get a lot and usually sounds something like this: Hey, you're a metal head, you must worship Satan and cut yourself...

TheAceTheOne said:
People who assume I'm a stoner because I hang out with stoners piss me off.

People who assume any metal with screaming in it is "screamo". It's not. (Nu-metal, deathcore, death metal, thrash, metalcore... There's hundreds of genres in which there's screaming, but there's a difference between. A big one. Screamo is more like Senses Fail than Disturbed, Slayer, Beneath the Sky, All Shall Perish, Slipknot, Whitechapel, Winds of Plague... I argue this point with my sister all the time when she gets on my case for listening to screamo (usually Slipknot).)

People who assume doing metal vocals are easy. They're not. (To expand, I've found my throat bleeding from the screaming and growling.)

People who assume I'm a delinquient because I say I listen to metal or am in a metal band. And people who assume I'm a fetus-eating satan-monster for the same reason (I got that from a discussion with the lead guitar of the band who drew me as a devil eating a fetus... don't ask, it's far too disturbing).

People who assume because I like metal, I'm officially unable to step inside a church without bursting into flames.

And the list goes on...
Damn...this is just uncanny.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
The assumption that because I belive in God, I must think science is eeeevvvvviiiiillll. I don't. I like science.

LordLucan375

Feb 15, 2011
Corsion said:
I 'm into metal and a lot of heavy music which includes screaming so I'm obviously a devil-worshipping emo who doesn't know what 'real' music is.
Amen brother.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
I hate plenty, but for now, just this...
HentMas said:
I usually hate people assuming that just because i make mistakes in grammar or writing i am automatically an idiot, anyone noticed i am NOT from the united stats!? thank you very much.

Corsion

Jan 25, 2010
TheAceTheOne said:
Cheers mate! I'm vocals in a metal band, and I write stuff for the band. We're not really too deep in the scene yet. (Last practice, the guitarist smashed his guitar against the wall and yelled "FUCKIN' METAL!", so we can't practice much.)
I do like writing and metal (but you guessed the second one, heh). It's not really what I enjoy that I'm lost on, or my future job (Vocals/writer). It's school. I have no clue where I want to go to college, and I'm a senior in high school.
I play bass and I'm currently taking singing lessons so I can sing 'clean' vocals for a band I've been putting together for a while.
Baha! The guitarist in my band is exactly the same. Gets a bit lost in the moment, which usually ends with skulls crushed. xD
We haven't done much, really. We still need a drummer and a good vocalist. Written a tonne of lyrics and riffs, though.
I recently just dropped out of school to get some training in IT, which I think was a great direction for me. It's not for everyone, obviously, but I was just getting taught things that either didn't matter to me or stuff I already knew.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Corsion said:
TheAceTheOne said:
Cheers mate! I'm vocals in a metal band, and I write stuff for the band. We're not really too deep in the scene yet. (Last practice, the guitarist smashed his guitar against the wall and yelled "FUCKIN' METAL!", so we can't practice much.)
I do like writing and metal (but you guessed the second one, heh). It's not really what I enjoy that I'm lost on, or my future job (Vocals/writer). It's school. I have no clue where I want to go to college, and I'm a senior in high school.
I play bass and I'm currently taking singing lessons so I can sing 'clean' vocals for a band I've been putting together for a while.
Baha! The guitarist in my band is exactly the same. Gets a bit lost in the moment, which usually ends with skulls crushed. xD
We haven't done much, really. We still need a drummer and a good vocalist. Written a tonne of lyrics and riffs, though.
I recently just dropped out of school to get some training in IT, which I think was a great direction for me. It's not for everyone, obviously, but I was just getting taught things that either didn't matter to me or stuff I already knew.
If I was able, I'd join your band and scream my fuckin' soul out. Rock on, man. Rock on.

Let's not hijack the thread, though lol.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I like COD. Apparently i'm not a real gamer.

Erm no, i'm pretty sure I am. This isn't the desktop of the typical CODfag

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Oh I'm full of these...

'You're British, so that must mean you are gay/a coward/a member of the BNP/An Imperialist with a monocle and a fondness for slavery' (although for the record I do look awesome in a monocle)

'You are not completely against everything to do with Western Foreign Policy, so that must mean you are a nationalistic asshat' (GARRRRRGHGHGHGHHNFDHFEPIUHPACKOPEHFCRRR!)

'You are from a military family, so that must mean you are a creepy loner who obsesses over guns' (Yes, I know a lot about military hardware. It Kinda comes with the territory, but that doesn't mean I'm suddenly gonna go postal on all my classmates)

I could go on... so I shall...

'You go to a private school and talk properly, so that must mean you hunt the working classes for sport in between bouts of inbreeding' (I had to jump through a hell of a lot of hoops to be able to afford my education, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, not by a long way. Also, I talk properly because I don't want people to think I am a waste of space.)

'You are opinionated, so that must mean you are incapable of seeing other people's perspectives and exist only to shove your points of view down the throats of everyone around you all day long' (Yes, I get passionate about my convictions and find a good argument stimulating now and then. However, I always make sure to explain and clarify my points with care and to never get personal, which is more than I can say of many who have made the above assumption.)

'You want to be an actor, so that must mean in real life you are a whiny effeminate prima-donna' (The thing about acting is it's kinda, y'know, SEPARATE from real life. So it needn't have any bearing on who I am as a person)

'You have bi-polar, I now have to start treating you like a bomb ready to explode at any moment rather than a human being who would rather not be judged based on just on small aspect of their personality' (Yes, I have what many people describe as 'issues', but the fact that you didn't even know until I told you would imply that I'm fairly good at dealing with them when I'm around people)

'You have experimented sexually when you were younger, that makes you gay/bi for life' (Or it could just make me whatever the hell I want to be because it's my life but whatever. Seriously why is my philosophy of 'You can never be 100% sure of who you are until you've tried being everything you can be' such an impossible concept for most people.)

'You are critical of the actions of Israel, so you must be a Nazi Jew-hater' (Oh for fuck's sake!)

Was that too much?

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
The assumption that if you're big/buff you are a stupid douche.

The least douchiest and smartest person I know just happens to be the buffest person I know.

Retal19

Dec 5, 2010
"He's a Furry! He most **** dogs. Oh, he's also rather Effeminate at times. He must let the dogs **** him."
Sigh... I hear people come to this conclusion more times than they reasonably should. It really does annoy me, and it's beginning to come to the point where I literally have to shove Essays in their faces explaining how I do not **** animals and how being a furry does not automatically make you a sheep-shagger.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
People (*cough* Americans *cough*) who assume I should sound like Hugh Laurie when they learn I'm English.

"HOW ABOUT WE ASSUME MY FOOT IS UP YOUR ASS, BECAUSE IT WILL BE IN A SECOND" - the response I'd like to give. Ultimately I'm far too nice to every say such a thing, but I always think it.

tenaciousotaku

Mar 17, 2011
Phlakes said:
It's a less serious one, but when people assume everyone from Texas owns a ranch and rides horses to school.

Because that's west Texas you're talking about. The other directions are very normal cities. Especially Austin, which is like a smaller New York but with less angry people.
Mines is when people assume everyone in Louisiana lives in a swamp and has a pet alligator.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
BX3 said:
R.A.P. = Retards Attempting Poetry."
In case you hadn't realized,
it has somehow become uncool
to sound like you know what you're talking about?
Or believe strongly in what you're, like, saying?

Invisible question marks and paranthetical "you know"s and "you know what I'm saying"s
have been attaching themselves to the ends of our sentences, even though those sentences aren't, like, questions?

Declarative sentences, so-called because they used to, like,
declare things to be true as opposed to other things that are, like, you know, totally... not?
As if to say "Don't think I'm a nerd just because I've noticed this, okay?
I have nothing invested personally in my own opinions,
I would just like to invite you onto the bandwagon of my own uncertainty?"

What has happened to our conviction?
Where are the limbs out on which we once walked?
Have they been like chopped down with the rest of the rainforest? You know?
Or do we have, like, nothing to say?
Has society become so filled with these conflicting feelings of "meh"
that we've become the most aggressively inarticulate generation to come along since,
you know, a long time ago!

So I implore you;
I entreat you;
and I challenge you:
To speak with convicion.
To say what you believe in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to simply Question Authority.
You have to speak with it, too.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
CM156 said:
The assumption that because I belive in God, I must think science is eeeevvvvviiiiillll. I don't. I like science.
THIS.

I believe in god and I'm going to become a fucking doctor.

Here is a RL
"Oh you're black, so you must want to play football."
"Oh my god, you look at me strange, you're going to rob me!"

No. Just No.