astral projection.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Nope. Never seen anyone who has either.
I'll lend you credence if you come back with that check James Randi writes out to everyone who proves their supernatural abilities.
He gives away something like 10 checks every year, so it's quite prestigeous, but if you're confident in your abilities I recommend you look him up.

Wait...
I just remembered something. Oh yeah, noone's ever been able to prove anything of the sort. Randi has been able to keep his check for himself for something like the last thirty years. Silly me.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Hazy992 said:
No but I command control over dairy products with my mind
Great scott! You wouldn't happen to be any relation to this guy?

On Topic, to the OP, this isn't really the forum to admit to having New Age or Mystic beliefs, you are about to get insulted into Narnia, although hilariously enough, vitually everyone on this forum believes at least partially that they do have some form of mild psychic ability to predict stuff
(there was a thread about supernatural abilities you may possess earlier this year, and it went on for several pages, virtually every person's post was along the lines of "I don't believe in psychics, but I have an uncanny ability to predict the time/the weather/where my cat is")

I shall give a psychic cookie to however can find me that thread.
Why yes he's my worthless half-brother. We don't get along after we got into a fight and I stopped his flurry of bourbon biscuits with a well timed attack of hot milk and mini Babybells

EVILGUY

Aug 26, 2011
i dont really beleive it that much but im going to keep hoping. but i have been trying and the closest ive ever gotten has been lucid dreaming.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Tom Milner said:
i can provide a step by step of how to AP,

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
>_> ...

That's telling us what it isn't, not what it is...

Unless experiments done along the lines of the following and subsequently reported in peer reviewed journals, I will remain, respectfully, sceptical:

All those who claim to be able to 'AP' are brought to a series of buildings within which are rooms/labyrinths/other chambers with distinct visual markers for which the test subjects have had no prior contact with (by way of location or specific appearance, though they should be familiar with the general appearance i.e. the Mastercard symbol, traffic lights, stuff that's instantly recogniseable). They are allowed to do... whatever it is they do, then report what they've seen of the location within proximity. Fidelity of the experience to the physical reality and/or ability to navigate the locale without perceived prior knowledge provides basis of results... and *yawn* *yawn* *yawn*.

Excuse me...

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Genuine supernatural occurences are frequently branded insane by those who lack the ability to experience them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hazy992 said:
J03bot said:
Hazy992 said:
Yeah? Well I'm lactose intolerant, so you have no power over me!
I won't stand for intolerance around here!
You're going to love and tolerate the milk out of him?

Actually, I think I don't want to see a pic of that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Just looked it up on Wikipedia.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

Octogunspunk said:
Genuine supernatural occurences are frequently branded insane by those who lack the ability to experience them.
That's because 'genuine' supernatural occurences don't stand up to the most gentle scrutinisation. Likewise, even if something cannot be explained, that does not make it supernatural by default; its just inexplicable (for the time being).

LawyerScumGhost

Mar 8, 2010
Wow, many skeptical people here. Let me put it simply, the fact that we exist in this Universe and the amazing things we are capable of proves (to me at least) that ANYTHING is possible in this Universe. I am sure if you told someone in 1920 that we would put a man on the moon in 1969 they would have responded in a similar fashion as you naysayers.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Hazy992 said:
J03bot said:
Hazy992 said:
I won't stand for intolerance around here!
You're going to love and tolerate the milk out of him?

Actually, I think I don't want to see a pic of that.
Oh I think you do, in fact I think you'd pay for that privilege. ^_^

OP, you see what happens? Making a thread about pseudoscience brings nothing but people taking the piss.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Octogunspunk said:
Tom Milner said:
are there any other people here who have gained a grip on the the practice of astral projection? i do it regularly, and i am curious to know if anyone else does.
No, but I have a form of telepathy which can sense life and spiritual energy across dimensions, and repel malevolent supernatural presences. Unfortunately it's like a magnet for demons and other kinds of evil =/
Be glad there aren't any Grey Knights or Inquisitors around the Escapist forums. Or are there?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
J03bot said:
Hazy992 said:
Wait, he has the ability to control something you have a vulnerability to and that doesn't give him any power over you? That's the opposite of what that means.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
LawyerScumGhost said:
Wow, many skeptical people here. Let me put it simply, the fact that we exist in this Universe and accomplish the amazing things we capable of proves (to me at least) that ANYTHING is possible in this Universe. I am sure if you told someone in 1920 that we would put a man on the moon in 1969 they would have responded in a similar fashion as you naysayers.
Being able to do something technically challenging some time in the future is not the same as anyone being able to do it right now.

If you were to say that astral projection might be possible in 50 years with massive government funding, I'd say it was unlikely.

Saying that anyone can do it right now, and that people have been doing it for umpteen years without the scientific community noticing at all...that's a flat out "no".

willis888

May 18, 2010
A haiku to describe the what went wrong:

Casting of pearls
Before swine is a mistake
Don't want them to choke

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Octogunspunk said:
And why not? Why should I believe something which I can't experience, or has any concrete proof that it is possible? You make it sound as if it's insane to not have blind faith in something.

O.T:No, but I've actually tried to do it a few times. If it is possible(Which I doubt, but I'm open to the possibility), I doubt I could do it anyway.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
someonehairy-ish said:
Octogunspunk said:
Tom Milner said:
are there any other people here who have gained a grip on the the practice of astral projection? i do it regularly, and i am curious to know if anyone else does.
No, but I have a form of telepathy which can sense life and spiritual energy across dimensions, and repel malevolent supernatural presences. Unfortunately it's like a magnet for demons and other kinds of evil =/
Be glad there aren't any Grey Knights or Inquisitors around the Escapist forums. Or are there?
No, just their modern-day equivalents. MI5, FBI, FEMA. Bastards.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
LawyerScumGhost said:
Wow, many skeptical people here. Let me put it simply, the fact that we exist in this Universe and the amazing things we are capable of proves (to me at least) that ANYTHING is possible in this Universe. I am sure if you told someone in 1920 that we would put a man on the moon in 1969 they would have responded in a similar fashion as you naysayers.
Hardly: that's an advancement of technology. It might have seemed unlikely, certainly not impossible.

What we're talking about here is people solely using their minds for complete and utter bullshit telepathic 'abilities'. Its two different thing, the latter of which is fucking ridiculous.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
LawyerScumGhost said:
Because if anyone could do ANYTHING psycic they would own 1 million dollars.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge/challenge-faq.html

So because science shows us that many things are possible, ergo, other random things are possible.

There is a difference between describing advanced technology to people unfamiliar and telling me you can see places with your mind. If you CAN do this go get your million dollars.

Octogunspunk said:
You should watch Scooby Doo.
That show was so cool
because every time there?s a church with a ghoul
Or a ghost in a school
They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The fucking janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide.
Throughout history
Every mystery
Ever solved has turned out to be
Not Magic.

Just explainable science.

I respond to your witty phrase with a poem! Im no expert at rock paper scissors but i think we have drawn.