Asura's Wrath Review

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Slycne said:
but unfortunately it's a jumbled mess of gameplay mechanics, visual styles and long cinematic sequences, to the point where it might be hard to truly consider Asura's Wrath a game.
Well, you did say it was like an anime...

But seriously, this game holds no interest for me at all.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Thespian said:
I think this is the sort of thing that begs the question - Does this story work better being told as a game than in any other form? Are we gaining anything by adding button presses to a very impressive visual opera? Would we lose anything by turning it into a TV series?
Somehow i doubt it. At least the demo didn't make it feel like anything would be lost if they just made it into a full fledged anime. The visual style is certainly something, but that's kind of what makes me want it to be an anime or a movie because it would let you watch it all the time rather than having to pay attention to whether or not you cleared the QTE while the battle is going on. It's kind of like when people complain about subtitles taking away attention except here it's legit.
And to think that people were praising Dear Esther for what is essentially the same thing. Sometimes I just don't get this industry at all.

bLAZay00

Dec 10, 2011
I thought this game worked perfectly for what it was. If you're looking to sheer clock time as an indicator of quality this ain't the game for you. I genuinely enjoyed every moment in this game. I loved the variety of game types thrown at you and the cheesy anime story was a great ride. It's short, sweet, and bloody raucous. Totally reminds me of the days Clover was still around.

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
"...the blend of science fiction and Hinduism...."

I got excited because I thought it might be like Zelazny's "Lord of Light", but the video quashed those hopes...

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would. The demo left a weird taste in my mouth, but I decided to buy the game on a whim. Not only is it revealed that Asura has every right to be what we call on the streets as "pissed the fuck off", the story is (mostly) comprehensive and there's a fair bit of hands-on gameplay to balance out the interactive cutscenes. It was like playing God Hand all over again.

Oh, and the boss fight with Augus ON THE MOON is fucking t@#s.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Slycne said:
Asura's Wrath Review

While it often feels strained into too many directions, Asura's Wrath still has some undeniably fun and outrageous moments.

Read Full Article
and is frequently growing and fighting with up to six arms , only to loose them again

Lose not loose

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
This is the first game I may generally coincider renting. I don't have the money to buy AAA after AAA (especially ones THAT BLOODY SHORT!) but it looks like it could be fun just to rent for a weekend.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
Thespian said:
I think this is the sort of thing that begs the question - Does this story work better being told as a game than in any other form? Are we gaining anything by adding button presses to a very impressive visual opera? Would we lose anything by turning it into a TV series?
as some one who watch a full play through of this, i can safely say

no, you'd lose nothing in terms of 'the experience' by making it just a show

ether way it was a fucking blast to watch, second most 'epic' anime ... thing ... i've watched, next to TTGL
Ya know what? That's all you needed to say. After looking up a video of a boss fight, my jaw was on the floor at how epic and large it was.
So your comparison to TTGL holds firm and has convinced me to get this game!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Thespian said:

ether way it was a fucking blast to watch, second most 'epic' anime ... thing ... i've watched, next to TTGL
Ya know what? That's all you needed to say. After looking up a video of a boss fight, my jaw was on the floor at how epic and large it was.
which boss? if i am ask

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
Davidm4 said:
Gingernerd said:
Edit: O.k. i swear at about 1:10 just after the massive guy, i can hear a phrase from Dvoraks New World Symphony (or something.) Maybe it's just similar.
Yep it is that song. Another section is played in the hot springs before they fight.
Thank you! That's pretty cool and novel. I really value a good soundtrack in a game or anime.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Thespian said:

which boss? if i am ask
The demo boss that tries to crush you with his finger. That scene alone blew my mind.
Now come Dashie! We're off to gamestop!!

*Squee*

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Thespian said:

which boss? if i am ask
The demo boss that tries to crush you with his finger. That scene alone blew my mind
yeah that was pretty 'holy crap o.o'. Wyzen is an early boss though and it only gets more intense from there. like the fights with no arms, or the fight with Deus yeah o.o it gets pretty frigen awesome.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Thespian said:

which boss? if i am ask
The demo boss that tries to crush you with his finger. That scene alone blew my mind.

*Squee*
Would you believe me if I told you that there's a couple of enemies bigger than that one?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Gingernerd said:
Davidm4 said:
Gingernerd said:
Edit: O.k. i swear at about 1:10 just after the massive guy, i can hear a phrase from Dvoraks New World Symphony (or something.) Maybe it's just similar.
Yep it is that song. Another section is played in the hot springs before they fight.
Thank you! That's pretty cool and novel. I really value a good soundtrack in a game or anime.
Well then give this a listen.

Just picture that music playing as you're running along the outside of a space station resembling a person that's bigger than the planet, while shooting down ships and enemies by firing shockwaves out of your hands only to then KICK THE GIANT SPACE STATION IN THE HEAD!.

Jesus...I love this game.

Rarely do I get so interested in the soundtrack of a game, in fact the only other games in which I've cared about the soundtrack are Bastion and Soul Reaver.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Huh. This actually looks quite interesting. I might pick this game up at some point in the future.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I will be getting this game at some point (probably far in the future) the demo was great fun and pretty much what I expected i.e gameplay light with awesome over the top set pieces.

Usually I absolutely hate QTE (looking at you God of War) as they offer nothing but annoyance. Cyberconnect2 seem to be the only developer who can actually pull them off them making them add to the experience rather than detract from it.

I will really be surprised if the gameplay is anything more than minimal however (even in the later stages) im expecting something slightly above a visual novel, maybe it can have its own genre visual program?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
anthony87 said:
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Madara XIII said:
Lunar Templar said:
Thespian said:

which boss? if i am ask

*Squee*
Would you believe me if I told you that there's a couple of enemies bigger than that one?
Well sir you just sparked an even bigger desire for this game!
To which I respond with simply this:
<youtube=LfJR6sAo0CU&nomobile=1>

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
Eh I paid full price when it came out and have beaten it twice so far. No regrets here. Though it's so obvious how it could be better in every chapter. Still I like it. Save that ending. I swear if they actually try to have the real ending as DLC.
Not to spoil the game for you but if and when you beat it you're better off just watching the "true" ending on youtube . Its like all of 1 minute longer than the original and seems to just open the door for a possible sequel.

unless you're truly interested in the identity of the golden spider I say pass.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
gphjr14 said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Eh I paid full price when it came out and have beaten it twice so far. No regrets here. Though it's so obvious how it could be better in every chapter. Still I like it. Save that ending. I swear if they actually try to have the real ending as DLC.
Not to spoil the game for you but if and when you beat it you're better off just watching the "true" ending on youtube . Its like all of 1 minute longer than the original and seems to just open the door for a possible sequel.

unless you're truly interested in the identity of the golden spider I say pass.
I saw both endings actually. Amusingly enough when it told me there was a secret ending I had already unlocked it just through playing. God that secret ending was horrible. Even the old school bad endings were freaking endings not "the story will be resolved later".