At Least One Anime You Love and One You Hate

captainwillies

Feb 17, 2008
Fenreil said:
unlike what most do: Following the story exactly, requiring huge amounts of filler.
just a tad drop of semantics if they followed the story exactly there wouldn't be any filler.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
captainwillies said:
Fenreil said:
unlike what most do: Following the story exactly, requiring huge amounts of filler.
just a tad drop of semantics if they followed the story exactly there wouldn't be any filler.
Yes, well, you got me there. I admit defeat.....to the semantics, that is.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
Oh thank God, I though I was alone in that regard. Though I'm hoping it slows the hell down when it catches up to the divergent part, that'd fix a lot. I watched a couple of brotherhood episodes and the pacing was totally off: It was flying though the storyline with no room to breathe, and no developing the characters like last time. To be honest I think they should have just started back to when the anime started changing, right now I'm finding it hard to watch when I see everything that's been done before, only ten times better.
At first I thought they were doing that because they were trying to speed up to where the manga was, but it turns out it was just how the manga was written. To quote MovieBob in a semi-relevant fashion "Have you ever read the book 'The Godfather' was based on? It's not that great, but give it to a great director and it becomes one of the greatest movies of all time" Adaptation Decay [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdaptationDecay] at it's best

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Nomanslander said:
ExileNZ said:
Nomanslander said:
Loved: Well if I have to single one right now it would definitely be Welcome to the NHK.

Disliked: Pokemon, I'm sorry but I didn't grow up with this series and I was already 18 when it came out. I know this is one of those nostalgic favorites for a lot of people since it introduced them to anime as kids, but I had already been well exposed to anime as far back as Voltran in the 80s and Ronin Warriors in the early 90s to fall for this dripple....=/
I never saw Ronin Warriors but Voltron was probably my first anime (if you don't count Transformers, which I don't). Actually my first was probably Cities of Gold. Pure win.
=0

You remember Cities of Gold? LoL, I thought I was the only one, although all I do remember is that epic opening song it had.....and that's about it...=/

Didn't know it was anime? Wait, now I want to find out what else was anime I probably grew up with in the 80s!
Actually Cities of Gold was a big-ass combined effort: Anglo-Franco-Germano-Japanese I think. But the Japanese opening was kinda balls. The good news is that it's huge in France, you can still find collectors' edition box series in a good number of stores here. It's expensive, but then nostalgia has no price...

Anyway as a combined production that counts in my book. Also explains why half the characters look like they came from He-Man and the other half from Lupin III...

EDIT: And to answer your question, Inspector Gadget was another multinational project. I like the opening better in French, too.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Love: Outlaw Star. I honestly don't remember why this show is good. I remember making parallels to Cowboy Beebop.

Hate: Eiken. Just no. I do not believe any of this show. This show shouldn't exist.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I'm going to cheat a little and put a few likes/dislike down. Also it should be noted that I'm not really a big fan of anime.

Loves:-

*Anything by Studio Ghibli. I've got a soft spot for Laputa especially.

*Akira: awesome story and animation.

*Death Note: I liked it despite the Scrappy Doo who is Misa and the plot which got a convoluted way too often.

*Monster: Great piece of drama, though it can drag with its hundreds of episodes. Anyone thinking of giving this a try should just watch the first five or so.

ED: damn how could I forget this one. 3x3 Eyes. That was a great little series.

Hates:-

*Anything that uses cliched manga memes.

*Elfin Lied: the peodo vibe was a little strong in this one. Also see above.

*Trigun: they really didn't have any idea where they were going with this one and I don't think I laughed at a single joke in it.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I liked Cowboy Bebob well enough. Trigun has its moments. Some of the Gundum series actually elevate themselves into something watchable.

Most of the rest of Anime falls into the "I could care less" category. I have never managed to actually "hate" one of them. To do so, it would have to become something I was forced to deal with on a regular basis. I can ignore things that are incomprehensible, reprehensible, stupid, annoying and so forth but were I somehow forced to endure such a thing for too long I would grow to resent it.

The reason for my disinterest is simple enough. Sometimes it's the result of a lack of understanding (also a lack of willingness to understand) of the context. Sometimes it's because the content itself is somehow unappealing (normal kids who go to school and later fight demons at night would qualify for example, especially if you tack on silly romances between characters of different species and wildly different stations in life). Most of the time however, it's because anime has a problem with actually moving a story along. I understand that the battle between the unstoppable badass hero and the iredeemible monster should be epic. It just doesn't need to take 10 hours. For any reason. Ever.

Arkzism

Jan 24, 2008
love vampire hunter D, um blue gender, cowboy bebop

hate um i do believe i didnt like soul eater.. and a few others that i cant think of

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
Yeah!

Elfen Lied isn't exactly for everyone, it takes a special deranged person to enjoy that show, plus memories of being an angsty little bastard teen fantasizing about murdering everyone around you you hated because of the whole "no one gets me" bull you use to keep feeding yourself with.

Unfortunately I was one of those little idiots so Elfen Lied has found a special place in my heart...=D

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
Love: Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, Akira, Howl's Moving Castle, Full Metal Alchemist

Like: Bleach, One Piece, (Let the flaming commence) Yu-gi-oh 5Ds, Spirited Away.

Hate: Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Naruto, Soul Eater, D. Gray Man

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Love: Pokemon ORIGINAL. One Piece. Naruto (Enjoyable battles, good animation, good characters for both Naruto and One Piece)

Hate: Newer Pokemon episodes (Hoenn and onward.) Not a fan of Full Metal Alchemist based on what I have seen of it.

(I know most of you hate Naruto for filler, but I actually enjoy filler a lot. The major problem with Naruto is how they keep bitching about Sasuke.

Mercurius507

Apr 10, 2010
Love: Elfen Lied, brilliantly emotional and intriguing storyline.

Hate: Naruto and Neon Genesis Evangelion, way too over-hyped.