At what point is a Franchise Whoring Out?

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Irridium said:
Vault101 said:
is this a seaqual?

what the hell does Kratos have left to kill?
Well, there's Norse and Hindu gods. That should keep him occupied for a couple of games.
Both of us quoted the same person in a span of seconds....

This just got awkward

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
Well, he's obviously going to go after the Egyptian and Norse gods. I mean, he's pretty much killed all the major gods in Greek/Roman mythology.

Actually, that'd be pretty awesome to see. :D
Irridium said:
Well, there's Norse and Hindu gods. That should keep him occupied for a couple of games.
ok seriously, this shits just getting rediculous

theres no way they can spin this to actually be taken seriously, and then what? I supose kratos goes up against the fabric of time and space itself

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
PsychicTaco115 said:
Vault101 said:
is this a seaqual?

Well, he's obviously going to go after the Roman and Norse gods. I mean, he's pretty much killed all the major gods in Greek/Roman mythology.

You say that, but I'd root for Odin or Thor over Kratos any day of the week.

Hell even Tyr would get the nod every day but Sunday.

1080bitgamer said:
A game starts whoring out when it tries to sell itself as a good product by using the brand name to build up hype, but the actual product is not well made
This is the answer I agree with the most. The Final Fantasy games are so guilty of this their Priest is being compelled to testify against them.

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Well, he's obviously going to go after the Egyptian and Norse gods. I mean, he's pretty much killed all the major gods in Greek/Roman mythology.

Irridium said:

theres no way they can spin this to actually be taken seriously, and then what? I supose kratos goes up against the fabric of time and space itself
And why not? Anger is a powerful emotion! If it can destroy the every individual atom in the cosmos, I say have at thee then, universe!

MDSnowman said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Vault101 said:
is this a seaqual?

Well, he's obviously going to go after the Roman and Norse gods. I mean, he's pretty much killed all the major gods in Greek/Roman mythology.

You say that, but I'd root for Odin or Thor over Kratos any day of the week.

Hell even Tyr would get the nod every day but Sunday.
Why not have EVERY god in Norse mythology, you know, attack Kratos all at once? He's only one man, it'd be easy to do!

Apr 28, 2008
Vault101 said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

Irridium said:

Well this new one is a prequel. So he won't be killing all the gods from other religions. Yet, at least.

Apr 28, 2008
PsychicTaco115 said:
And why not? Anger is a powerful emotion! If it can destroy the every individual atom in the cosmos, I say have at thee then, universe!

I'd buy that game.

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Irridium said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

I'd buy that game.
"Ah, the King of the Cosmos! My old nemesis! There's no pandas to help you this time, though! And that kid of yours? Let's just say he's going to have one big ball full of all the heads I decapitated from various people! Now.... DIE!!!

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
It's a good question. But I don't know if it has a clear answer.

I mean, when you ask fans of a band if the band members have become "sellouts." You are most often going to get a few different answers (I am now reminded of my friend's idea of starting a band called "Johnny and the Sell-Outs" to see the consumer reaction).

And while hopefully not going off topic, a franchise consisting entirely of Kratos killing other gods would constitute as a sellout to me, but that isn't to say it wouldn't be awesome.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
You know, Kratos facing off against Norse Gods would be pretty damn interesting if I may say.

Seriously though, I don't think this is whoring out. It kinda depends really. A lot of times, it's when a main game comes out every year. Which means I don't count the PSP titles. Or it can be when they use just the brand name to advertise it, but turns out shitty. Like another poster before me said.

God of War is hardly a series being milked out, look at Assassins Creed, or Call of Duty and Halo.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think there's a difference between 'whoring and sucking' and 'milking and winning'.

Thus far I've yet to play a BAD God of War game...and I've played them all, except the HD Releases of the portable games for the PS3 (played them on PSP).

If, at some point, Sony releases a Bejeweled: GOD OF WAR Edition or GOD OF WAR: The Mini-Games...and they're not brutal/jesting in the own absurdity...I'd say the milk has been whore'd.
Now, Final Fantasy - more specifically FF7 - has been whoring more than Paris Hilton at a boy-band reunion.
Not only are many a FF spin-off mediocre, some are down right BAD.

a.stewart

Apr 6, 2012
A franchise is whoring out when they become repetitive and lack innovation.

"Call of Duty 4 made us loadz of money.. LET'S MAKE ANOTHER CALL OF DUTY 4!!"
"New killstreaks, weapons and maps!"
"...Sounds like DLC content to me..."
"SCREW IT; IT'S GOOD ENOUGH!"

jensenthejman

Aug 22, 2011
A franchise whores itself out when: they force more games after the story is finished (like what EA is going to do with Mass Effect) or when the games cease to become innovative. This new God of War may be a good game, but I've it takes place before Kratos becomes the Ghost of Sparta. Do we seriously need to be told every single part of the story? Whatever the case, I hope it's a good game.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
You all know of the God of War series right?

It had 3 main games, 2 psp games, and the whole thing ended with the hero killing everything thats there to be killed. But then this happened...

Another prequel? On the main console? This my friends is what I like to call milking it.

The story ending fairly conclusively and now it feels like these guys dont want to bother with something new because GOW is their cash cow.

So, is this a genuinely good idea or just beating a dead horse?

And for an added question, does this happen to other games you love?
Overmilking? Yes.

Whoring out? No.

ME3 multiplayer was being whored out. Buy concept art books, and clothing to get multiplayer DLC is whoring out. Things connected to the console (Console armor case, mobile phone covers, etc.) while sad, is an understandable marketing strategy.

I was expecting another GOW game, and while I am sad it involves Kratos, I might get it. The other games worked great, but still...

havass

Dec 15, 2009
When the games have yearly releases with little to no changes in gameplay/story. Sonic, mario and Modern Warfare come to mind. Also Halo.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Vault101 said:
is this a seaqual?

Well, he could always go to a parallel universe and kill the Roman versions of all the other gods.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I think people are confusing whoring out with milking.

Tons of sequels and merchandise is milking an IP.
It's whoring out when a company starts ignoring the old fanbase of a series, who made the previous entries possible with their money and instead caters to a new(bigger) audience with unwanted changes made to the series.