Atari Reveals Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Atari Reveals Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

The Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is coming this summer.

Details are still mighty thin but the baldursgate.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116330-The-Baldurs-Gate-Countdown-Begins] hit zero a few minutes ago, revealing [after a lengthy, chugging pause to address overloaded server issues] the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Not much is known at this point but it's coming from Beamdog, Overhaul Games and Atari, and it's due out this summer. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: We still don't know much, but a Beamdog rep has told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-arrives-this-summer/] that the new game will be more than just a graphical overhaul. "This is the Enhanced Edition, it's not a repackage," the rep said. "We have the original source code and are doing a significant update."

"Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love," Beamdog chief and Baldur's Gate veteran Trent Oster tweeted [https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/180376741154529280] following the announcement, "made by some of the original team members."

Platforms and other information have not yet been announced.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
That's pretty cool.
I wonder how far they're going to enhance it? Is it just going to be a graphics update, or might they remake the entire engine?

Fingers crossed that the enhanced edition contains BG2 as well, though I doubt it.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
I still wonder what "enhanced edition" is supposed to mean but sure I'll get this when it comes out why not.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Well, of course it couldn't be anything meaningful like Baldur's Gate 3.
Maybe this retrofitted stuff will spark some new interest in the franchise and they'll actually start working on a sequel.

Miracles can happen...

I don't suppose they'll go the CD Projekt route and offer the enhanced edition for free to those who own the original games?

no?

oh well.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Would be funny if "Enhanced Edition" meant they remade the entire game in 3d and have been doing it for years without anyone knowing :D (3D as in modern graphics) a man can dream...

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
I just realized something. That team of modders who were working on remaking the Baldur's Gate games in the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine. Wow I feel sorry for them.

Sep 14, 2009
Maze1125 said:
That's pretty cool.
I wonder how far they're going to enhance it? Is it just going to be a graphics update, or might they remake the entire engine?

Fingers crossed that the enhanced edition contains BG2 as well, though I doubt it.
well if it really is an even SEMI decent graphical update, you bet your ass i'm gonna buy it, and i'm assuming alot of other people are too, and if they see the profit from that i wouldn't see why they wouldn't do it with BG2, so if it's good, make sure you spread the word to buy it ;)

Sep 14, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
I just realized something. That team of modders who were working on remaking the Baldur's Gate games in the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine. Wow I feel sorry for them.
there is one in the dragon age engine actually...(unless they are the same, then nevermind!)

it's on the dragon age nexus somewhere

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Might give me a chance to replay them again. My monitor and modern PC make it so hard to make things out in the originals fairly sure they've managed to get worse, not just surpassed by prettiness.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
What's the point of this ??????????
Baldur's gate looks very good even by today's standards.

If, hovewer, they are adding turn-based combat, the I'll be all over it :D

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Imbechile said:

Your joking right the game looks like complete arse now days and is only bearable if you get the mods which import it in the the BG2 engine

Plus there adding new content so there's that to

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Imbechile said:

Yes it does still look good, if it is modded, else your stuck with a low resolution UI, while the game engine can scale up to infinity.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!
You do realize that all the rights to Baldur's Gate and D&D lie with Atari right?

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
theonecookie said:
Imbechile said:

Your joking right the game looks like complete arse now days and is only bearable if you get the mods which import it in the the BG2 engine

Plus there adding new content so there's that to
No. I'm dead serious.
Speaking as someone who played Baldur's gate for the first time a year ago, I was amazed how great the game looks like, even by today's standards. The 2D enviroments are really beautiful.

How exactly does it look like ass ?????

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Imbechile said:

The combat is already turn based.
And, really, higher-resolution support would be great. 640x480 native doesn't cut it anymore.

But I'm totally buying this if all they do IS just a graphical update. SIGN ME UP!