Atari Reveals Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Eh, "enhanced edition"? I'm disappointed. I don't feel like paying good money for a graphical update and a few more quests.

If they did so for a new Syndicate-game, however..

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
The "we have the source code" bit I never expected. That may actually change my opinion about this version of the game being pointless.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
BreakfastMan said:
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!
You do realize that all the rights to Baldur's Gate and D&D lie with Atari right?
I know, I know. But I can still dream, can't I? And I really want a Baldur's Gate III... _>

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
If Atari is going to back a remake - or whatever the hell this is, well, if it's successful they'd probably back a Baldur's Gate 3.

That said, what the hell do you do with a Baldur's Gate 3? The Bhaalspawn saga is pretty conclusively ended in Throne of Bhaal.

malufenix

Feb 29, 2012
How many people have heard of Tutu? It's a free utility that allows you to play BG1 in the BG2 engine with all the Graphic/Sound/UI benefits that means for BG1.

All you have to do is install BG1 and any expansions, BG11 and any expansion, patch to latest version and run the Tutu.exe! It even gives you the option of deleting the original BG1 game to save disk space!

I wonder if that what going to be done. Just one exe file with BG1 and BG11 and Tutu already activated, so you save it to a folder and you get the Tutu version?

In any event, like others here, playing BG1 in BG11 as I am currently doing, makes the game pretty enough for me. More immersive that DA: Origins!

As to extra content, when you have BG1 and BG11 you probably have 300 hours of gameplay, 500 if you have the expansions - so adding content is a bit redundant, and if they add another 20 hours worth, that's only 2% additional content!

So google Tutu, install your BG1 and BG2 and see how good the game can be made to look this way before you spend money on this HD version!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
malufenix said:
How many people have heard of Tutu? It's a free utility that allows you to play BG1 in the BG2 engine with all the Graphic/Sound/UI benefits that means for BG1.

All you have to do is install BG1 and any expansions, BG11 and any expansion, patch to latest version and run the Tutu.exe! It even gives you the option of deleting the original BG1 game to save disk space!

I wonder if that what going to be done. Just one exe file with BG1 and BG11 and Tutu already activated, so you save it to a folder and you get the Tutu version?

In any event, like others here, playing BG1 in BG11 as I am currently doing, makes the game pretty enough for me. More immersive that DA: Origins!

As to extra content, when you have BG1 and BG11 you probably have 300 hours of gameplay, 500 if you have the expansions - so adding content is a bit redundant, and if they add another 20 hours worth, that's only 2% additional content!

So google Tutu, install your BG1 and BG2 and see how good the game can be made to look this way before you spend money on this HD version!
Dude, Baldur's Gate Trilogy. 1 mod that links all the games together into one gigantic playthrough. It literally does everything Tutu did, and then some.

Also: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/15/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-announced-coming-this-summer/

We ARE getting Baldur's Gate I and II: Enhanced Edition. They're completely remaking the Infinity Engine from the ground up. I just hope we get a better system of D&D, and some better controls, with true turn-based combat. That stupid real-time with pauses nonsense is garbage and prevents me from enjoying the games.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Das Boot said:
Baby Tea said:
Imbechile said:
What's the point of this ??????????
Baldur's gate looks very good even by today's standards.

If, hovewer, they are adding turn-based combat, the I'll be all over it :D
The combat is already turn based.
And, really, higher-resolution support would be great. 640x480 native doesn't cut it anymore.

But I'm totally buying this if all they do IS just a graphical update. SIGN ME UP!
The combat is not actually turn-based. Its all based on different timers of varying lengths.
So as turn-based as Final Fantasy's ATB system then...

What does 'Enhanced Edition' mean anyway? The version of Baldur's Gate currently installed on my laptop is massively enhanced, what with the widescreen mods, Tutu, banter packs etc. Will this just be an 'official' release of the original games with these sorts of mods packed in?

If so, an 'Enhanced Edition' will be great if it gets the series new fans, but is not enough for us old obsessive fans who have already modded our game to oblivion.

What interest me is this talk of different 'platforms'. I just can't see the combat working with a controller, and definitely not iOS. It's far too precise and fiddly (what with all the pausing and spell-selecting) to work without a mouse and keyboard.

MOAR INFO PLEEZ

[EDIT]

And how exactly are they going to 'update' the Infinity Engine? Isn't that what the Aurora Engine was for?...

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
EvilPicnic said:
Das Boot said:
Baby Tea said:
Imbechile said:

The combat is already turn based.
And, really, higher-resolution support would be great. 640x480 native doesn't cut it anymore.

But I'm totally buying this if all they do IS just a graphical update. SIGN ME UP!
The combat is not actually turn-based. Its all based on different timers of varying lengths.
So as turn-based as Final Fantasy's ATB system then...

What does 'Enhanced Edition' mean anyway? The version of Baldur's Gate currently installed on my laptop is massively enhanced, what with the widescreen mods, Tutu, banter packs etc. Will this just be an 'official' release of the original games with these sorts of mods packed in?

If so, an 'Enhanced Edition' will be great if it gets the series new fans, but is not enough for us old obsessive fans who have already modded our game to oblivion.

What interest me is this talk of different 'platforms'. I just can't see the combat working with a controller, and definitely not iOS. It's far too precise and fiddly (what with all the pausing and spell-selecting) to work without a mouse and keyboard.

MOAR INFO PLEEZ
It's only going to be on Beamdog I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning platforms.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I called it! I guessed that they were making an updated version and I was right!
No I called it! (trolololo)

OT, I have to admit I was kinda hoping for an expansion pack for BG 2, just cuz that would have been absurd.

Otherwise, I will likely get this. I've never played a BG game, but have always wanted to. This is my excuse!

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Imbechile said:
theonecookie said:
Imbechile said:

Your joking right the game looks like complete arse now days and is only bearable if you get the mods which import it in the the BG2 engine

Plus there adding new content so there's that to
No. I'm dead serious.
Speaking as someone who played Baldur's gate for the first time a year ago, I was amazed how great the game looks like, even by today's standards. The 2D enviroments are really beautiful.

How exactly does it look like ass ?????
generally its the presentation you look in to this world through a tiny window surrounded by ugly gray bars low-res portraits , ugly looking hot bar icons which again take up way to much of the scream the actual game screen isn't to bad given its age

also have you never seen ass they always have textures from 1998

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
jFr[e said:
ak93]
Soviet Heavy said:
I called it! I guessed that they were making an updated version and I was right!
No I called it! (trolololo)

OT, I have to admit I was kinda hoping for an expansion pack for BG 2, just cuz that would have been absurd.

Otherwise, I will likely get this. I've never played a BG game, but have always wanted to. This is my excuse!
Both games are $10 each on GOG.com :)

Captcha: hot diggity dog

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
So.. Me thinks this would be a good opportunity for someone who's never played it to finally see what the fuss was all about

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Holy crap new tweet. "We want BG3 as well. BGEE is a part of the master plan." Well there you go people want BG3 support them.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The original Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 are still remarkably beautiful games. I horsed around with BG1 recently, experimented with running it at higher resolutions, setting it up in the BG2 engine and so forth, and none of that satisfied me quite as much as simply playing it in its original resolution. Beauty and artfulness does not necessarily mean high resolution.

That said, I'm really looking forward to discovering what the EE offers. There's been absolutely zero information released beyond what's in the original report, but we'll definitely keep you posted.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
BreakfastMan said:
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!
Y'know, I don't think Bioware really need Kickstarter funding...