Atari Reveals Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
New stuff in the source code.

I know they already said they want new content... but I didnt expect whole new chapters...

Sounds good.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
And just as Bioware ends what may be their last good series on a sour note, someone revives one of their first great ones. Maybe this will make everyone (including Bioware) realize that they used to be a good developer once upon a time.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Imbechile said:
Why is turn based combat such a hard thing to grasp? Why is it hard to see the diffrence between Baldur's gate(real time with pause) and Fallout(turn based).

In turn based combat when it's the enemy's turn you can't do anything, and when it's your turn the enemy can't do anything. ONLY ONE CHARACTER AT A TIME can act. That is the main thing that separates turn based games like Fallout, ToEE, XCOM and real time with pause games like Baldur's gate, Planescape torment, KOTOR.
There are lots of different systems included under the general heading "turn based". From a full "I go you go" turn based system like Warhammer to alternating activations like Tribes of Legend or Urban War (which is what is actually going on in D&D, alternating in order of initiative) to hybridised systems like X-Com or Infinity which are turn based with interruptions for reactions.

There is no one system which is "This is turn based and nothing else is". Baldur's Gate animates everyone all the time, but the mechanics underlying that animation are cut into discrete 6 second "turns" during which everyone acts in an order determined by initiative/their chosen action.

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
Can't wait for this to come out. I started playing the original BG on Win7, and it's definitely a classic game. But the story and characters are awesome :D

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Susurrus said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I had so much fun gibbing the xvarts in bg1. Then reloading the fight 800 times until I finally got lucky and beat the shadow dragon and the demilich in bg2 for their phat lewtz.
Protection from Undead scrolls mean that the demilich can't see you. Haste and +4 weapons and you can wail on him from now until the end of time without him casting anything. Granted, you have to activate it after his transformation from lich to demilich, as it is triggered by dialogue which won't trigger if his lich form can't see you, but the Daystar (City Gate district, behind a painting in the Crooked Crane), cast as he returns from the grave, will do enough damage on its own to trigger the dialogue, if you use the special ability (and time it right).

The Shadow Dragon is extremely vulnerable to wands of lightning (which bizarrely allow you to fire 6 shots simultaneously with each charge. Cast haste, resist fear, fire and move (to avoid the breath), and hope you don't get bad luck with the wing buffet/dragon breath combination, and he goes down easy to even an 11th level party.

(also Demogorgon totally dies to the high level thief spike traps - I've killed him on spawn. It's abuse of a pretty broken ability, granted, but then so is the entirety of that fight).
I was not nearly that prepared for those fights. As I recall I had a single +4 longsword, jahira's sling with sunstones and maybe a caster with some damn thing that damaged the demilich.

And the shadow dragon I summoned 3 elementals as distraction, and had my whole party use ranged except my main who went and "tanked". Eventually got the job done and picked up the sweet armor.

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
Well they aren't making a 3d engine to make the game in that they are completely reworking the current Infinity Engine so basically the graphics will be the same but things like resolution and UI will be reworked. They have said they are working on keeping the code as close to the original as possible so things like mods and saves will be able to be carried over. They are using code from BG2 and it's expansion so everything good about BG2 will be in the original as well. There will also be new content added in. They are keeping the rules the same so that feel will remain. Since they have the source code they can fully do whatever they need to. Odds are these will probably be the better games than the originals but what really depends is pricing and the new content. If they keep the same prices they used for the MDK2 remake ($15) and the new content isn't that good then it probably won't be worth the extra $5 than getting them on GOG. If the improvements are numerous enough though then they will be worth that. Probably doesn't matter that much since I can't believe this won't sell like crazy.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure... I've been playing Baldur's gate in 1920x1080 already this week, so the higher resolutions are already here and have been ~ 8-10 years! If mods are still compatible then that also seems like it will massively limit their ability to make changes; I can't imagine many resources or the exe itself can be changed too much. It almost sounds like a new mod they're making*! Still, I'm sure I'll still buy whatever it is!!

*except for the part about having the source code, but surely changing that can/will break mods?

Ok, scrap all that. I'm too excited about that new content now.... haha! I will happily pay big money if it's up to scratch!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Baby Tea said:
It's turn based. Not traditional turn based, and it does a great job of making it SEEM real-time but it's not real time. It's turn-based.
Oh christ we started this again, these games are hybrid, as much as they are turn based they are also real time.
i.e. Your turns are not constrained by characters but by real time chunks so the only time you waste is your own, making it a smooth ride while allowing the D&D system to work as is.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
Doom972 said:
I don't see much need for better graphics. When using high resolution, these games look more visually appealing than many modern games.
What I would like to see is a support for high definition graphics and full voice acting.

I doubt they'll do what CD Projekt did with The Witcher and release an upgrade for those who already have the original games. I don't like the idea paying for games I already bought about 4 years ago.

I might get it if it's on Steam (definitely not from Beamdog) and will cost $5 or less.
I can guarantee it won't be either of those. For one Beamdog is both the people who own the distribution service and the people making the enhanced edition. Just like Valve only having their games on Steam. Also it's $10 on GOG why would they charge less for an enhanced edition with more work put into it than the standard edition you would have to mod to get it to be equal to the new edition. Out of curiousity why do you not want to use Beamdog? Just don't want to have to register for another service?
Hey, I said I hope, I didn't say that it'll be this way. You can't actually guarantee anything unless you are from Atari/Overhaul.

Making an enhanced edition doesn't take that much work (There are people who make mods like this in their free time), and I think they can sell it for a cheap price (And with such competition maybe GOG will have to reduce their price for the regular BG games). Another thing to consider is that most people who like BG, probably already have it and perhaps wouldn't want to pay much for an update to a game they already have from a small digital distribution site that might not be there tomorrow.

Which gets me to why I don't want to use Beamdog - I already have a large game library on Steam and I prefer having to manage just one library, and not have many different games scattered through various services and sites.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
DeadYorick said:
Freyar said:
Not going to be on Steam, so.. there's a significant disappointment. Wasn't even aware they did a re-release for MDK2 because these guys are just unheard of. Feels like they're emulating EA nicely.
On the contrary it was recently leaked that the store page for BGEE was created, it is just not possible to view it
Was it for BGEE specifically? I know that there were entries into the library for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, but no indication as to whether or not it was the "Enhanced Edition". The guy in charge of it has indicated that BGEE and BG2EE will be "Beamdog Exclusives" much like MDK is.

https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/180383395937914880

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Freyar said:
DeadYorick said:
Freyar said:
Not going to be on Steam, so.. there's a significant disappointment. Wasn't even aware they did a re-release for MDK2 because these guys are just unheard of. Feels like they're emulating EA nicely.
On the contrary it was recently leaked that the store page for BGEE was created, it is just not possible to view it
Was it for BGEE specifically? I know that there were entries into the library for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, but no indication as to whether or not it was the "Enhanced Edition". The guy in charge of it has indicated that BGEE and BG2EE will be "Beamdog Exclusives" much like MDK is.

Exclusive? Oh?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2096/

I liked MDK back when it first came out and was happy to see it reach steam a while back.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:
Freyar said:
DeadYorick said:
Freyar said:

Exclusive? Oh?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2096/

I liked MDK back when it first came out and was happy to see it reach steam a while back.
As far as I can tell, that's the original Interplay release, not the "re-release" that Beamdog did.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!
Considering that BG2 ended definitively with Throne of Baal (and what an ending), I think it'd be best to not bother creating yet another sequel. Stories need closure.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
malufenix said:
How many people have heard of Tutu? It's a free utility that allows you to play BG1 in the BG2 engine with all the Graphic/Sound/UI benefits that means for BG1.

All you have to do is install BG1 and any expansions, BG11 and any expansion, patch to latest version and run the Tutu.exe! It even gives you the option of deleting the original BG1 game to save disk space!

I wonder if that what going to be done. Just one exe file with BG1 and BG11 and Tutu already activated, so you save it to a folder and you get the Tutu version?

In any event, like others here, playing BG1 in BG11 as I am currently doing, makes the game pretty enough for me. More immersive that DA: Origins!

As to extra content, when you have BG1 and BG11 you probably have 300 hours of gameplay, 500 if you have the expansions - so adding content is a bit redundant, and if they add another 20 hours worth, that's only 2% additional content!

So google Tutu, install your BG1 and BG2 and see how good the game can be made to look this way before you spend money on this HD version!
you spamming bro?

Bend3

Jan 16, 2012
Anyone that has played the baldur's gate series to its finale KNOWS its impossible to have a worthy baldur's gate 3. Anything more added onto the end of what was CLEARLY a no sequel ending would be like adding sprinkles of arsenic to a cake. It may look a little tastier, but take a bite and you'll quickly realize its not something that should have ever been added.