ATI CARD ROUNDUP

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Used to use an ATI.

Never going back.

If I had a dollar for every time I encountered gaming graphics troubles, went looking for a fix and found only, "Oh ATI GPUs/drivers just don't like that game, hopefully they'll patch it", then I would have been able to afford a replacement much sooner.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
ccggenius12 said:
Jeeze, it seems like a lot of people are really missing the point here. These two comics aren't saying AMD is shit and nVidia is the greatest thing ever. They're saying that nVidia is a status symbol (because they cost so much at the high end), and AMD is for people that prefer function to internet dick-waving. I thought that was obvious from the LITERAL dick-waving in the first comic, but apparently not...
Nope.

They're saying that AMD is about cheaping out (two explicit references to lack of funds) and irrelevant aesthetics, for the sort of people who buy X RAM because it matches their couch not because it's any good. Absolutely nothing whatsoever about functionality on AMD cards.

(And yes, I've been AMD-based since the X1950 series; the GeForces I had around then were rubbish. And the last couple of AMDs I've worked with - my 7970 and the 295X2 I fitted at work recently - certainly weren't the cheapest parts of their respective builds.)

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Kinitawowi said:
ccggenius12 said:
Jeeze, it seems like a lot of people are really missing the point here. These two comics aren't saying AMD is shit and nVidia is the greatest thing ever. They're saying that nVidia is a status symbol (because they cost so much at the high end), and AMD is for people that prefer function to internet dick-waving. I thought that was obvious from the LITERAL dick-waving in the first comic, but apparently not...
Nope.

They're saying that AMD is about cheaping out (two explicit references to lack of funds) and irrelevant aesthetics, for the sort of people who buy X RAM because it matches their couch not because it's any good. Absolutely nothing whatsoever about functionality on AMD cards.

(And yes, I've been AMD-based since the X1950 series; the GeForces I had around then were rubbish. And the last couple of AMDs I've worked with - my 7970 and the 295X2 I fitted at work recently - certainly weren't the cheapest parts of their respective builds.)
I guess I was projecting a bit. OK, how's this for a summation: last week's comic was about nVidia being the over-costed, dick-waving option, and this week's comic is about AMD being the cheap shitty alternative. That sound more accurate? At the least, it's definitely punchier.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
... I need to get into comic writing, if this is considered "funny" enough to be worth money, then I can write jokes that good, too.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I don't know how closely these guys follow graphics technology but the lead has gone back and forth a bit since the 4870 dropped. Before that ATI's last competitive product was their 2002 release of the 9700, which beat the hell out of Nvidia's offerings of the time.

I bought a GTX 980 after owning an R9 290 I bought on launch, the R9 290 cards just sucked too much. The reference designs were hot, loud, and many users like myself experienced a black screen issue, with the only solution seeming to be down clocking your particular card.

I do have hope that the 390 series will learn from these mistakes, as honestly I trust AMD much more than Nvidia.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
I'd rather spend my food stamps on an AMD/ATI card any day of the week, all the nvidia ones i've ever owned self destructed, back in the early 2000's i had an nvidia card litteraly short out and break half the components in my pc, the cd drive also shattered the disc that was inside it because the short stopped everything dead.

That was the last time before switching to AMD and i've not looked back since.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
CaitSeith said:
"Oh! I just realized! This month I don't have enough money to support your Patreon." - ATI card users
I kept thinking it says "Give Us Your Money" right under the strip.

I thought it was pretty funny. I play video games on a Mac laptop though....

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Charcharo said:
As a person superior to AMD/Nvidia fanboys... basically fanboy to NEITHER...

AMD drivers = shit = Nvidia drivers
(ALL ARE FUCKING SHIT)

AMD cards = good = Nvidia cards @ similar price points

AMD quality = nvidia quality

Anyone who favors one over the other as a fanboy... is not someone I consider bright. At all.

Unfortunate, I see many escapists ... like this in the comments...
There's at least 1 metric where Nvidia objectively (and resoundly) beats AMD cards (unless you include devs optimizing more games for Nvidia cards). Nvidia cards always run cooler than AMD cards. In most cases far cooler. AMD cards are like damn space heaters.

Generally they're also quieter and use less power.

Ryan Mendez

Mar 27, 2015
Laughing Man said:
If you're really lucky, you might even get correctly-working drivers!
Oh snap, I won an ATI / AMD 290x in a competition, after being a Nvidia user since I built my first computer over a decade ago. Finally I could upgrade my 670GTX to a new shiny 8Gig 'true 4k' card. So after dropping some cash on a water block for it. Scrubbing my OS clean of the Nvidia drivers, shutting down my computer draining the cooling loop and getting the shiny new (and fucking massive, seriously with it's stock air cooler it would not have fit in my case) card installed hooked up with 2 x 8pin PSU adaptors. I booted up, got hold of the latests AMD drivers and marvelled as the install process locked my computer up half way through install.

Some tweaking a try with some older drivers and I marvelled as it locked up 2/3 of the way through install but installed enough to allow the card to work in games but wouldn't work with anything else, Flash, XBMC, etc.

So removed that sold it, stuck the cash in to a 980GTX and 15 minutes from taking the case cover off, to rebooting after GPU driver installed first time without issue, I was looking at a shiny, smaller, less power hungry and more powerful card AND THAT'S why I will never buy another AMD GPU.

...Now ask yourself, who's really winning here?
The guy with the 970GTX is, the whole 3.5Gig thing was blown so out of proportions so as to be comical besides AMD still don't have anything in the bang per buck range that matches a 970GTX

I've read puts the 295x2 ahead of Geforce with the Titan series being marketed as a thinking man's video processor, more of a supercomputer in a slot than a gaming device, so while still advertised as a gaming device, that's not its sole purpose. Even with the Z's dual setup, the X2 out paces it
Really? Almost all the actual gaming benchmarks I've seen have a pair of 970GTXs beating the 295x2, the only instances in which it wins out being games that have been specifically designed with AMD (Battlefield and Tomb Raider for example.)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,1.html
Did you read your own link? The 970 Sli only beats the 295x2 on THREE games out of NINE. That's only a third of the time. They don't even show 4K resolution, as that is the point where the 970s taper off and can't handle a lot of games (for bandwidth reasons.) The 295x2 is currently said to be THE card for 4K gaming, as it is 650-750$ compared to SLI 980s being almost 1200 or two Titans at 2000. At 1080p, the 970 sli will meet or exceed the 295x2 in games that aren't AMD optimized. At 1440p, they will beat the 295x2 at games that are completely Nnvidia optimized, be neck and neck at games that go either way, and completely beaten in AMD optimized games. But at 4K? The 970s get demolished. Seeing as the 295x2 is similar performance to the 980 sli at 2/3rds the price, they really are a good buy.

I don't have a horse in this race, as the competition is good for all of us, but at least get your facts straight before you go all team green fanboy on the internet.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
When I started reading through this I initially assumed that this was the usual teenage-esque defense of 'whatever I happened to have purchased is obviously better than the other thing you bought.' Having seen the cards that people have had and decried as crap or praised as great, it's obviously older people. Very disappointing!

I had a Matrox Millenium. It lasted less than a year and stopped working. All Matrox cards are crap. What? That was just my own experience and some people may have got a decade out of them? No way! Whaddya mean they don't make them anymore...

The only thing this conversation proves is that quality control is really, really important in the electronics industry. Once you've sold someone a product that fails prematurely or doesn't live up to expectations, even though tens of thousands of others work just fine for a long, long time, you've lost them as a customer. And, with the reach of the internet, they can tell everyone that the 'Nvidia/AMD/Ati* xxxx' is utter rubbish and doesn't work properly. Oh, and those crappy Matrox cards. That will be right above the post that says how brilliant the 'Nvidia/AMD/Ati* xxxx' is and anyone who says otherwise is obviously having sexual relationships with someone in their family. Matrox cards will never be good though, because they're not made anymore and I bought a bad one.

* Delete according to how old you are!

It's been said already but worth repeating - these two companies leap-frog each other constantly but sometimes it's not clear where. AMD have pretty much bowed out of the single card top-end race but you can't go wrong with one of their mid-range offerings. Nvidia peddle over-priced coin-miners/folding machines/computational devices as well as the single best bang-for-buck card on the market - the 970. Who cares if you're actually missing 500Mb of VRAM - I build properly demanding games for a living and the news barely caught my attention.

When you're dealing with games shipped by the big publishers, who write their own engines, then some of what has been written above does come into play. Optimisation, bribes - oops, I mean technical advice and development assistance funding - all of that has been, can, and will be an issue.

For everything else that is built on a non-proprietary engine, it doesn't matter. Pick your budget, do a quick google search and you will find the best hardware for your price-point in minutes. Sometimes the winner is AMD, sometimes it's Nvidia. If you find they are equally good (the horror!), simply pick AMD if you live in a colder climate, preferably with cheap electricity, and Nvidia if you live in a warmer climate.**

**That previous sentence may or may not apply depending on which range you pick.

See how silly it all is?

The trick, of course, is to do none of the above. Don't buy a current generation card. Do what we do here in the studio which is to pick hardware we think we will be mid-range in 18 months and buy last-gen from suppliers keen to get rid of old stock. My dev rig has two 780Tis in SLI and cost next to nothing because everyone wants the latest and greatest. I can work and test an SLI setup, disable one if the drivers throw a hissy-fit and it has yet to encounter anything it can't handle at max-settings at 1440p. 4k is here, but it's not the modal setup.

On a different note, I've just bought a Volvo V70.

Feel free to post 'shut up dumbass, everyone knows Lamborghinis are faster like what I have and my super-model girlfriend's BMW is so much cooler. Stupid fag Volvo drivers.'

:)

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Did you read your own link? The 970 Sli only beats the 295x2 on THREE games out of NINE. That's only a third of the time. They don't even show 4K resolution
Yes I did, I read it when I was deciding on what card to buy for my 1980x1080 system and the benchmarks give the edge to the 970Sli at 2560x1440 it scores 6 wins; Hitman, Bioshock Infinite, Thief, 3D Mark P and X scores to the 295x2s 5; TR, Metero LL, BF4, MOH and Fire Strike with the added advantage that they run cooler (alot cooler) and consume far less power and with the smaller version just hitting the market they are freaking tiny.

Yes the 295x2 does better at the higher resolutions but I would expect that given that it has twice the VRAM that an Slid 970GTX setup does.

1). I don't care that was not what I was looking for
2). You never mentioned 4K gaming in your post
3). Who the hell is buying a current range card for 4k gaming when both Nvidia and AMD have new cards just on the horizon, especially AMD with their HMD cards?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I just love Erin's facial expressions in this. You guys knew exactly what you were doing and it made me laugh waaaay harder than it should have.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
All AMD products here, don't feel bad at all for it. I have money leftover for things like food, rent and gas (and a car!).

:)

Seriously though, my AMD stuff works just fine, keeps my budgets low and FPS stable.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Charcharo said:
All things that may be true today...

But they werent 8 years ago, or 10 years ago. And they wont be 4 years from now. That is how this works. In a few years it will be the opposite.

Not major things though. For me, non-factors.
10 years ago, I had to swap drivers for my ATI card between playing different games or the games would glitch out or not start at all. And then it incinerated itself. Smoke and everything.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
lastcigarette said:
Oh look, a welfare joke from someone with a Patreon account.
I don't think I understand what you're sayin here. Someone wanting to be paid for their work somehow counts as welfare? Isn't that like...the exact opposite of welfare?