ResonanceSD said:
uncanny474 said:
On behalf of my colleagues in Australia:

"It's about bloody time, ya wankers!"

There, did I say that right?
Yup.

gmaverick019 said:
Baldr said:
Australian salaries are much higher and the conversion rates, they are actually paying less than any place in the world. $1AU is not equal to $1US. Even their minimum wage is like $18AU/hr
Sober Thal said:
But when a gov makes the minimal wage twice what 'others' pay out, then see products being sold for twice what 'others' pay for...

Er, uhm... Never mind. I've bitched the same song often enough.

EDIT: *smiles at the above post ; )
both of these

yes, everything might be expensive in australia, but so is it over here, gaming is no different from any other market. seriously, try surviving on 8$/hr while scrounging for solid hours at a job, it won't get you many video games after taxes and other bills kick in, i promise you that.

Thank you for saying that. I get so annoyed when they're like "YOU GET PAID MORE SO IT'S OK TAHT EVERYTHING IS MORE EXPENSIVE"
When you get paid less than double what I would if I had a minimal wage job, I would care. When products cost you more than double what they do here, I might care...

But you, and they, don't.

It's sad really. How can you explain feeling sorry for yourselves like this?

It's so annoying when people continue to ignore that.

Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour, or ONE DAYS WORTH OF WORK AT MINIMUM WAGE FOR A BRAND NEW AAA VIDEO GAME!!!!

Bloddy wankers like to think it's different on the other side of the pond, well.... IT BLODDY WELL ISN"T!

It's about double the pay, and double the price for everything. STFU already, same boat doods.
You should probably look up purchasing power parity.

I can't speak for the people earning min. wage. I've got a desk job with News corp here. I do ok. However, if you are on minimum wage, then you've probably got other priorities than spending a day's pay on a game. Just saying. Cost of living in this country is much, much higher than everywhere else that isn't Switzerland.
Just so you're aware, $15/hr in New York City will *almost* keep you off the street.

Mar 26, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
You only have to put with what you're willing to except. You don't want publishers boning you Australia? Be prepared to do something about it!
I do. I go to places like K-mart or Big-W where the new release can sometimes be $70 (if the wind is blowing in the right direction). EB can kiss the darkest part of my lily white arse.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
RvLeshrac said:
ResonanceSD said:
Sober Thal said:
ResonanceSD said:
uncanny474 said:

Yup.

gmaverick019 said:
Baldr said:
Australian salaries are much higher and the conversion rates, they are actually paying less than any place in the world. $1AU is not equal to $1US. Even their minimum wage is like $18AU/hr
Sober Thal said:
But when a gov makes the minimal wage twice what 'others' pay out, then see products being sold for twice what 'others' pay for...

both of these

yes, everything might be expensive in australia, but so is it over here, gaming is no different from any other market. seriously, try surviving on 8$/hr while scrounging for solid hours at a job, it won't get you many video games after taxes and other bills kick in, i promise you that.

Thank you for saying that. I get so annoyed when they're like "YOU GET PAID MORE SO IT'S OK TAHT EVERYTHING IS MORE EXPENSIVE"
When you get paid less than double what I would if I had a minimal wage job, I would care. When products cost you more than double what they do here, I might care...

Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour, or ONE DAYS WORTH OF WORK AT MINIMUM WAGE FOR A BRAND NEW AAA VIDEO GAME!!!!

Bloddy wankers like to think it's different on the other side of the pond, well.... IT BLODDY WELL ISN"T!

It's about double the pay, and double the price for everything. STFU already, same boat doods.

I can't speak for the people earning min. wage. I've got a desk job with News corp here. I do ok. However, if you are on minimum wage, then you've probably got other priorities than spending a day's pay on a game. Just saying. Cost of living in this country is much, much higher than everywhere else that isn't Switzerland.
Just so you're aware, $15/hr in New York City will *almost* keep you off the street.
Minimum wage in Sydney is the exact same, bud.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Evil Smurf said:
uncanny474 said:
Evil Smurf said:
uncanny474 said:

Yep. Now drink this VB and shear a sheep. *checks you have done that* You are now an Australian citizen! Congratulations!
What's a VB? For that matter, what's a sheep? I live on the East Coast in a suburb, I know OF barnyard animals, but I've never actually been physically near one. Except maybe on some grade-school field trips.
This is a VB!
http://www.annandalecellars.com.au/SiteFiles/annandalecellarscomau/images/large_7854_VB%20Stubbies.jpg
That's a bottle of Jarate. Not to be consumed under any circumstances.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Baldr said:
Wages may be higher, but income tax and living expenses in Australia are also higher. Comparing wages without also comparing the cost of living is a meaningless exercise.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
andrew201292 said:
Baldr said:
"Minimum wage $18/hr" Haha You're funny.
And our dollar was stronger then the US (Im not sure how it is now) but when it was stronger if something was $60US on steam it should have been less than $60AU.
Always remember that publishers/developers are 100% in charge of the prices you see on Steam. Valve has, quite literally, *NOTHING* to do with the numbers on non-Valve titles.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
RvLeshrac said:
ResonanceSD said:
Sober Thal said:
ResonanceSD said:
uncanny474 said:

Yup.

gmaverick019 said:
Baldr said:
Sober Thal said:

both of these

Minimum wage in Sydney is the exact same, bud.
That was my point. That you don't have some unique-snowflake monopoly on high cost-of-living. The only - and I mean *ONLY* - reason games are more expensive in AU than they are in the US is that retailers have a huge captive audience they can take advantage of.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
grigjd3 said:
Barring Australia, games are NOT expensive.
That actually sidesteps the issue at hand - a retail game, printed on a disc, shipped around in boxes made of plastic on trucks made of metal on roads made of asphalt, should not cost the SAME as a digital game, printed on thin air, shipped around in thin air in nothing made of nothing, on trucks made of ISPs on roads made of electricity.

We in Australia pay $110 for the physical goods? Whatever. You can justify it every which way until you're red in the face. I mean sure, I can import games from the UK for more than half that price with free shipping, but that's a product I can hold in my hand.

But we also pay the same price for digital goods, and you can't justify that quite as easily. This doesn't just exist in Australia, obviously; all over the world, usually, a AAA title will launch digitally at the same price as retail. Which makes you wonder - why? Where's the extra money going exactly, if not for the cost associated with shifting real world copies from store to store? If not the cost of printing a disc? Of mass-producing box insets? That's the issue at hand, that's what this inquiry is ACTUALLY asking, and that's what we should be concentrating on, as far as I'm concerned.

...though don't get me started on hours = dollars. I've never believed it to be true as long as you can watch a DVD movie over and over again, you can play a game over and over again, and what have you. You do not pay for an hour count. You pay for the assets that happen to make up an initial hour count. But that's a personal nitpick there.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I stopped buying games from local retailers ages ago.

Instead of getting ME3 for $110 from EB Games I can get it for like $66 (shipping included) from OzGameShop.

Not that I would get ME3.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
BlueMage said:
Welcome to arse-backwards reasoning. We don't have a high prices because we have a high minimum wage - we have a mandated high minimum wage BECAUSE THINGS ARE SO GODDAMN EXPENSIVE. Of course, that high minimum wage is then used as a justification for the prices, but it's a complete cop-out. There is nothing inflated about the value of the Australian dollar - it's simply that in a recession (which we didn't actually have) resources remain valuable. And boy do we have resources.
troof,
aussie's a wealthy country, but only a fool pays more for stuff simply because they have more cash to burn,
apparently new york contains the highest proportion of mega-rich americans, yet I imagine they pay the standard american rate for their games.

the aussie minimum wage doesn't have an impact on the cost of making games, as the vast vast majority of games are made overseas at a (apparently) lower craptaular wage rate.

and lastly, New Zealand who has a minimum wage nearly half that of aussie ($13.50NZ = $10.40AU) also get stuck with super happy high prices on pretty much everything
(clothes, books, entertainment - excluding cinemas apparently tho)
I imagine this has to do with proximity and shipping however, cost $55 to get a WoW authenticator shipped over XD

still w'eva, if peeps are paying for them, then can't blame the sellers, personally I do my best to not buy any games on steam that appear to be locally priced.

Fox_21

Aug 23, 2008
The remark about the middle of Australia been empty is wrong as it has abundance of wild life and plant life and a place that sole purpose to kill people was uncalled for and also if you look at a map of Australia you might see that one of our most iconic landmarks lives in that big empty place a little thing called Airs Rock so yeah the remark about the middle of Australia uncalled for.
Fox (Citizen of Australia for my whole life)

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
Spartan1362 said:

Instead of getting ME3 for $110 from EB Games I can get it for like $66 (shipping included) from OzGameShop.

HOLY SHIT! HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS!!?

THAAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOUUU!

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
Some facts for people
Just off Google: 1 Australian dollar = 0.9742 U.S. dollars
A couple of months ago 1 Australian dollar was greater than one US while some years ago it was 1AUD was about 0.5USD but game prices haven't lowered since then. As for the minimum wage. It is about $15.5 per hour. Less for apprentices and youger workers (<20). This means they get around $30600 a year of which around $3500 goes to tax. This is the income people will get, it does not pay for services.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
WalrusPowers said:
Spartan1362 said:

HOLY SHIT! HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS!!?

THAAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOUUU!
Yeah, my friend showed me it and I was like O.O
I could barely believe it until I bought a game from there.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Games are expensive to buy because they are expensive to make, simple as. Stop having games cost so fucking much to make (i.e. reduce the man-hours required just to make a single goddamed room), and you will get your cheaper games.
That is bullshit because in America 1 game sells for 50$. In Europe that becomes 50 Euro, which is 70-75 Dollars, and might go up the further you go East, suddenly costing 60 Euro or even 80 Euro basically bringing that price to Australia and New Zealand levels, in Australia that again goes up to 80-90 or even 120 dollars Australian, which right now is 120 dollars American.

There is no reason why prices jump up the further away you get from America. It doesn't, it used to make sense with shipping fees and actually having to Move the product and deliver it to the country, but now I can go on the internet and just instantly download anything.

No shipping costs, no DVD manufacturing costs, no need for CD keys, because it is authenticated through the site or application, in short they now have a literally Unlimited amount of games produced for no costs, the only thing that might be a problem is bandwidth, but I think the price of that is apparently covered quite well with 50$, otherwise they wouldn't sell for that price in the US.

In short it's just antiquated business practices, that used to have a good excuse, but not any more, however of course the publishers aren't going to adjust. Do you really think they would Willingly without a court mandate, adjust their pricing? They would basically be throwing away money.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
what about inflation? maybe the AUS dollar is worth less then the US dollar making the prices sort-of fit

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Baldr said:
The Australian dollar has been higher than the US dollar up until last month and was consistently so for most of last year. At the moment it is almost equal. 1 US = 0.98 AUS

Less than any place in the world? As the above article states Australia is paying more for everything for no apparent reason. If your new game is 60 US, then we are paying 100 US.

henritje said:
what about inflation? maybe the AUS dollar is worth less then the US dollar making the prices sort-of fit
Where are you people coming from?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Vivi22 said:
As to why they're still high: the simple answer is that Australians got used to paying them and Publishers never bothered to change them because people kept on paying them.
Part of the reason why we kept paying is because the price rise happened about the same time as the switch from the PS1/N64 to Xbox/PS2/Gamecube generation.

From my perspective as a kid, going from $70 N64 games to $100 Gamecube games seemed perfectly reasonable. It wasn't until I got a decent internet connection that I realised that N64 games were supposed to be the expensive ones.