Australia Day! What are you all doing?

Gadzooks

Jun 15, 2009
Radelaide said:
I've been listening to Triple J and the Hottest 100. I know what's going to be number one :D
Can't believe they leaked the number 1 song =(

It was what I guessed anyway, but still, the suspense is half the fun!

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Well, slept in till about 8 (which is about three more hours then i usually get), checked out some posts on here, played MW2 till about 11, played Sam N Max: Situation Comedy, watched Lethal Weapon 4, and now i'm sleepy so i'm gonna go have a nap.

Night!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "Australia Day". Also, naming a holiday after your country that is only celebrated by people from your country makes it all but impossible for us foreigners to take that holiday seriously. Just saying.

[small]Isn't every day one spends in Australia "Australia Day", because it's a day spent 'in Australia'? I'm suggesting your holiday lacks a certain descriptive element, is what I'm driving at.[/small]

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "Australia Day". Also, naming a holiday after your country that is only celebrated by people from your country makes it all but impossible for us foreigners to take that holiday seriously. Just saying.

[small]Isn't every day one spends in Australia "Australia Day", because it's a day spent 'in Australia'? I'm suggesting your holiday lacks a certain descriptive element, is what I'm driving at.[/small]
c'mon. where are you from?

*Edited* After checking your profile, it turns out you're american. so lets see...

Inauguration Day, January 20th every four years, starting in 1937
Flag Day, June 14th
Election Day, Tuesday on or after November 2.
United States of America's Independence Day, July 4.
Groundhog Day, February 2.

These are just a few out of a LOT of special 'days' for America. By your logic, every day should be 'flag day', and america had its independence for years, so who give a shit? Just saying, is all...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
JohnTomorrow said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:

c'mon. where are you from?
Eastern Notalotofvowelsistan. Or possibly the USA, whichever one isn't made up. Pretty sure my profile lists that info.

Meat.Shield

Nov 18, 2009
a7r0p05 said:
I'll just be sitting over here in the good ol' U. S. of A. mocking you for your seasons having the wrong weather.
The wrong weather? 24 degrees celsius (75.2 Fahrenheit) in Melbourne sounds pretty good to me... feels good too. A fair amount better than cold yank weather I would wager.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
I'm going to go to school, come home, play some videogames for a while and probably come on this site, after which I will go to work. So yeah, nothing special... at all.

HateDread

Jan 20, 2009
Sitting around scripting zombie missions in ArmA 2.

Whooooo.

Also...

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Not playing 18 rated games.

ZING!
Damnit. To the croc's with you!

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Cower in fear!
All the poisonus and massive monsters that lurk down other gain 3x the strength and heat vison or something on Australia Day.

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
getting an southern cross tattoo and sporting Australian flag apparel including board shorts, a cape and flags on my car.

I hate Australia day.

ostro-whiskey

Aug 23, 2009
Australia Day makes no sense, we celebrate the first fleet to arrive in Oz... ?

It would make more sense to celebrate the day Australia became a Federal Nation. Ill do what I do on any other day, and not give a shit about the fireworks.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
Nothing, It's a sad excuse to get drunk and have a BBQ.
Fuck Australia Day, Fuck it hard.
QFT.

OT - Nothing I just woke up at 3 in the afternoon.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
For those not in the know (ie. everybody except Australians), Australia Day commemorates the landing of the First Fleet, which was the first... well, fleet of British colonists (yes, they were mostly convicts. No, pointing this out to us is not funny) to arrive. From an Anglocentric viewpoint, it was the day when Australia was first colonised. Not counting the Aborigines, of course. Or the Dutch. Or any Indonesians who, if I recall my history class correctly, may have traded and mingled with the Aborigines of the Northern coast. It is traditionally celebrated by people getting together, either for a barbecue or the beach, or both. Flags are obnoxiously prominent, and national pride is at an annual high, unless you're cynical, in which case the reverse is true. The traditional food and beverage are, of course, lamb and beer respectively.

What did I do? I spent the day as I spend most free days I have. Although my parents had friends over, so we had some of my dad's criminally good lamb for dinner.

ostro-whiskey said:

It would make more sense to celebrate the day Australia became a Federal Nation. Ill do what I do on any other day, and not give a shit about the fireworks.
Well, the problem there is that our Federation Day happens to be the first of January; it'd be kinda eclipsed by New Years, wouldn't it?

ostro-whiskey

Aug 23, 2009
Graustein said:
For those not in the know (ie. everybody except Australians), Australia Day commemorates the landing of the First Fleet, which was the first... well, fleet of British colonists (yes, they were mostly convicts. No, pointing this out to us is not funny) to arrive. From an Anglocentric viewpoint, it was the day when Australia was first colonised. Not counting the Aborigines, of course. Or the Dutch. Or any Indonesians who, if I recall my history class correctly, may have traded and mingled with the Aborigines of the Northern coast. It is traditionally celebrated by people getting together, either for a barbecue or the beach, or both. Flags are obnoxiously prominent, and national pride is at an annual high, unless you're cynical, in which case the reverse is true. The traditional food and beverage are, of course, lamb and beer respectively.

What did I do? I spent the day as I spend most free days I have. Although my parents had friends over, so we had some of my dad's criminally good lamb for dinner.

ostro-whiskey said:

Well, the problem there is that our Federation Day happens to be the first of January; it'd be kinda eclipsed by New Years, wouldn't it?
So ? Whos problem is that. It doesnt change the fact that they decide to celebrate a pretty flimsy event as the National day.

aruseusx said:
imahobbit4062 said:
Nothing, It's a sad excuse to get drunk and have a BBQ.
Fuck Australia Day, Fuck it hard.
QFT.

OT - Nothing I just woke up at 3 in the afternoon.
I woke up at 4pm, I win.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
scrambledeggs said:
getting an southern cross tattoo and sporting Australian flag apparel including board shorts, a cape and flags on my car.

I hate Australia day.
why?

Super_Nintendo_Chalmers said:
I hung with friends. I hate patriotism.

And my grandad went into hospital, on his birthday.
why do u hate patriotism?

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
ostro-whiskey said:
The first of January is a pretty terrible time to have a national holiday, regardless of what that holiday commemorates. Nobody would celebrate it, they'd all be sleeping in. So, really, it's everyone's problem. If you want to hold a party on the first of January, don't let me stop you. But I don't think very many people would be too eager to come.

The arrival of the First Fleet is a pretty good excuse for a national holiday, all things considered. It does commemorate a pretty notable event in our history: the first event in the history of Australia as part of the British Empire, and later the Commmonwealth.