Australian city spends $170,000 on... this

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
And here I thought Australia was the very seat of conservatism. Now whenever somebody complains about sex in video games being imported into Australia you can retort with, "Dude, we have a giant floating tit whale."

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
I don't see what the big deal is, plenty of countries need to build more supply depots or construct additional pylons; is it really that strange for Australia to need to spawn more overlords?

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Scarecrow said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Should have called it "A statement on the condition of modern art and government spending".

I cannot believe my own country would pay for this. In a place where no real people live.

It has breasts for fuck's sakes.
Lots of things have breasts. I wish more things, including myself, had breasts. Also it makes more sense than most modern art I've seen recently, plus it acutely looks interesting and cool. So I don't quite see the issue, besides people just not liking the look.
It is a whale. A whale that is supposed to have 'evolved' to be able to fly. It cannot do that, and is furthermore burdened by, and has no relevance to, the dozen breasts arrayed along its sides. Whales have no connection to Canberra. It makes no sense, which is not excused by other art making no sense either. Its interestingness and coolness are very much subjective, to the point where I think it looks the former but most certainly not the latter. The issue is it is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the event it is supposed to be part of.

So I suppose it all comes down to whether or not you think whales are relevant to Canberra and whether breasts of that kind are relevant to whales.
I think giant floating breast-whales are relevant to all of us.

Wolfeyes555

Jan 30, 2012
Allow me to transcribe the exact moment I clicked on this thread.

"I wonder what this is about? Eh.. probably some dull art project that wasn't worth the money in the leas-WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?"

Well, it's not dull, I'll give it that.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
The Uk can be as bad,

It's suposed to be like the big 45ft HOLLYWOOD sign, but it's 5ft high, and looks terrible.

The next town over did one too,

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Not pictured: the flower pot falling nearby thinking "not again..."
This. This is my favourite comment in this highly enjoyable thread.

On topic, $170,000 for such a thing when I'll bet there are still people on the poverty line in Canberra is absolutely shameful. Whoever greenlit the project should be fed to a drop bear.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
FoolKiller said:
Stryc9 said:
That's alright, that's really not a lot of money when you compare it to the city of Ballard Washington which is about to spend 3 Million dollars on a park that's 29 feet wide and the length of a city block.
Are the blades of grass going to be coated in gold?
No, it's just a way they can waste that 3 mil they have to spend without improving parts of other parks that the city's team of lawyers have decided are too much of a liability for the public to use. The city HAS to spend all the money on something or else when the next budget comes around they won't get as much as last time. The politics of it is insane but that's the way it is.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
It looks like a deformed puffin with extremely disturbing breasts hanging off the sides.
Good to know the taxpayer's money is being used to its full potential.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
So it's a Whalelord with 8 flappy tits attached to it?... Worth it. I burst out in laughter every time I glance at it.

Art..

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
kypsilon said:
And here I thought Australia was the very seat of conservatism. Now whenever somebody complains about sex in video games being imported into Australia you can retort with, "Dude, we have a giant floating tit whale."
martyrdrebel27 said:
Congratulations to both of you for making me laugh even harder than when I first saw the tit whale.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Don't the fins (wings?) kind of look like a bundle of giant, hanging boobies?
Yes. Yes, they indeed do. And it is terrifying.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
kypsilon said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Congratulations to both of you for making me laugh even harder than when I first saw the tit whale.
*Tips the hat* Anytime.

martyrdrebel27 has my undying respect for the Douglas Adams reference.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
If it weren't for the penis-boobs, I'd be so proud of living in a country that built a Wind Fish.

Alas.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
This kind of stuff happens everywhere. In my town we have a big spade. It's a brewing town (or was once) and is supposed to represent a malt shovel. It looks nothing like a real malt shovel, just a giant garden spade with a beer bottle cut out of the middle you can walk through. A tit whale balloon is at least interesting, but most cities have a budget for things that must be arty, and cannot be spent in any other way.

I don't have a problem with that really. They waste so much money on other stuff, why not something you can at least talk about?