Australian R18+ Bill Hits a Snag

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
zidine100 said:
sheep bah cows moo and Australia delays the 18+ rating.
This is the best post of the thread.

OT:

Well, that's unfortunate I suppose. But yeah. zidine speaks the truth.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Australian R18+ Bill Hits a Snag

[snip]

...An Australian-to-English Google translation revealed that "this arvo" means "this afternoon."
You'll also find that "snag" is Australian vernacular for a sausage
... the implications of which should be self-evident.
:p

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I think I speak for everyone when I say:
Video[/youtube]

Also, this was good:
[An Australian-to-English Google translation revealed that "this arvo" means "this afternoon."]
I have a feeling the world will end the day after we get an R18+ rating.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
"[An Australian-to-English Google translation revealed that "this arvo" means "this afternoon."]"

Oh, come on! We speak better English than you yobs!

Also, when the legislation goes to enquiry, it goes quickly. It'll be in by January 2013.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Antitonic said:
Of course the bill "hits a snag". The snag is it's trying to get past this joke of a government.
Wait, you're going to blame the sitting government for the actions of an opposition MP? Or are you attacking the system of Parliament?
MercurySteam said:
Andy Chalk said:
....the longest-running and most elaborate legislative troll ever perpetrated by a modern Western government.
This is just about the best description I've heard of this yet. It's no secret that our government is a group of unorganised, indecisive fucks, but at this point I'm sure even they don't know why they're still trying to put it off.
Because a Coalition MP wins points with the Christian Lobby by doing so. No reason other than the MP who referred it to inquiry is a dick.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
shameduser said:
Wow, Australia's parliament is almost as bad the U.S. congress. Almost.
The difference being, our government trolls us by griping over trivial things like this, while taking a back-seat to U.S party line on important issues. Hooray for democracy.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
octafish said:
Antitonic said:
Of course the bill "hits a snag". The snag is it's trying to get past this joke of a government.
Wait, you're going to blame the sitting government for the actions of an opposition MP? Or are you attacking the system of Parliament?
I don't really know. I just get fed up with the system sometimes. You read these articles that come out, and it seems that people argue for the sake of it. Almost like they're saying no because the other guy said yes.

Not just this, but other things as well.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Anyone who's ever seen our politicians in action would know that they're retarded. It's worrying that these people are actually in charge of anything, let alone something as important as an entire freaking country.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
The only reason I can think of for why this is getting dragged out so long is that our politicians have run out of things to do. I don't pay much atention to politics but they don't appear to actually be doing much. Maybe it's just media spin but everytime parliment is mentioned in the news it's just another phase of the poo-flinging contest between two teams of retarded howler monkeys.

I think writing them off as trolls would be giving them too much credit.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
shameduser said:
Wow, Australia's parliament is almost as bad the U.S. congress. Almost.
Except that back in the 90's the Australian government put certain policies in place, which is why we avoided a recession when America didn't

tracer_au

Oct 18, 2011
SenseOfTumour said:
I'm a bit lost, is it delaying a ban on 18 rated games, or delaying a reasonable system allowing them to be rated then sold in Oz?
Its the latter. Our ratings system as it currently stands is why we got a dumbed down version of 'left 4 dead 2' and why games like the latest 'Mortal Kombat' are outright banned.

This legislation has been delayed and side tracked for.... I think over 5 years now, despite overwhelming public support of the amendment. Look up "Michael Atkinson" and you will find the bulk of our troubles on this. He no longer has his position anymore so that helps.

As for this piece of news, why the hell do they need this? Another fucking inquiry is just going to yield the same results AGAIN. Like the article says the politicians should GET ON WITH IT! Its becoming clear that the only way this is going to pass is if we literally give them no option left.

God i hate this world i live in sometimes.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
the whole world has 18+ rating for ages, and they still cant decide if games should have it as well?
i might be 60 before they issue a 18+ rating.

what a bunch of idiots.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Wow Australia, hoe does your democracy actually stay functional? How does anything ever get done if badly needed legislation can get bounced-back like this? Get your shit together guys, this has gone BEYOND embarrassing. It seems that there is an undercurrent of AU law makers that, beyond all logic and reasonable arguments, are still trying everything to sabotage this bill.

You can't get your way so you just delay the bill almost indefinitely? Hoe can you be allowed the do that?
They can't continually delay the bill. Eventually the Inquiry Board will tell whoever it is that the bill is fine and then the Australian parliament will vote on it. The main problem, is that on both sides of the Australian Parliament, there is an overwhelming majority of conservatism(Due to the Labor party having multiple factions within it, the most prevalent being the center right and for the Liberals to continue there partnership with the Nationals, they swing more conservatively), which generally results in these types of bills finding it very difficult to be passed without much of a fuss.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
wait they STILL don't have a 18+ rating?
why don't they adopt the Japanese system? no 18+ rating just letters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Entertainment_Rating_Organization
I actually had to laugh a little when I read a violent game got a higher rating then a sexual game.

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
I like to think of myself as a fan of Coalition principles (note: not Abbott), but this is just objection for the sake of objection. One of these days liberal party you will have to let some pieces of legislation through!

Millky95

Nov 19, 2009
By the time we get this bill to pass is the day Valve release HL3

On a more serious note: This is ridiculous. Should've had a R18+ rating ages ago.