Australian Rating Petition Gets Amazing Response

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
How come you couldnt just buy us versions from online like ebay or amazon.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
dommyuk said:
Didn't Atkinson say there wasn't a big enough demand for it or something similar? I suspect a conspiracy!
You have to remember; Atkinson was more concerned with counting the sand particles in the hole which he had placed his head.

dacendaran

Dec 31, 2008
mxfox408 said:
Because that's needlessly annoying when you just want to go out and pick up a game.

Also EB had a similar petition a little while back, its not that surprising. I will have to go out to GAME and sign myself some time soon.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Freedom! Retribution! The time of our gaming salvation is at hand brothers! Soon we will be able to get L4D2 with gore without having to get it gifted from overseas! Success!

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
This makes me feel very happy for my Aussie brothers and sisters. Now they won't be excluded from the levels of violence and gore that the rest of us experience. Congratulations!

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
3nimac said:
Am i the only one who thinks 72,000 is not that much, at least not "amazing"?

Still, i hope whoever's in charge takes notice.
It's worth noting that Australia does have a pretty small population, and GAME is probably one of the least frequented game stores we have (based on what I've seen...). So it's a pretty good result, all things considered

twdaw

Apr 3, 2010
Lol at GAME pretending they're cool by doing exactly what EB did a couple of months ago.

But hey, whatever gets us R18+ here is fine by me.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Their games might be expensive as hell but good on you Game! I'll still buy all mine from JB hi-fi but if this petition comes through I shall give you a hearty pat on the back with the decapitated arm of Mike the Merciless.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
dls182 said:
3nimac said:

It's worth noting that Australia does have a pretty small population, and GAME is probably one of the least frequented game stores we have (based on what I've seen...). So it's a pretty good result, all things considered
20,000,000+ population is small, even relatively-speaking? o_O

GAME only popped up fairly recently, and there are other franchises that have been around for much longer. Plus, GAME tends to charge quite a lot for their games, even by Australian standards, and their re-pricing/sale prices seem haphazard at best; only just today, I was in GAME and I saw two copies of Borderlands, one preowned, the other new. They were selling the brand new copy in for some kind of special clearance for about AU$58, whilst the preowned one was around the AU$95 mark (trust me, its not uncommon to see preowned games for only about AU$5 less than their brand new counterparts. Welcome to Australia). Even if it's a sale, GAME tend to be a little retarded when it comes to preowned stuff.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Awwright, bring on May 7. 72000 signatures is a pretty good effort and surely should be enough to get an R18+ rating.

I can't remember if it was this site that I read it on but there is a christian group that was promised no R18+ rating from Mr. Atkinson and are now having a ***** that it might go ahead now that Atkinson is gone.

They say that our children need to be protected. What I don't understand is why they don't realize that R18+ means not for children.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Andronicus said:
dls182 said:
3nimac said:

20,000,000+ population is small, even relatively-speaking? o_O

GAME only popped up fairly recently, and there are other franchises that have been around for much longer. Plus, GAME tends to charge quite a lot for their games, even by Australian standards, and their re-pricing/sale prices seem haphazard at best; only just today, I was in GAME and I saw two copies of Borderlands, one preowned, the other new. They were selling the brand new copy in for some kind of special clearance for about AU$58, whilst the preowned one was around the AU$95 mark (trust me, its not uncommon to see preowned games for only about AU$5 less than their brand new counterparts. Welcome to Australia). Even if it's a sale, GAME tend to be a little retarded when it comes to preowned stuff.
The poupulation of Michigan (my state) is half that of Australia. Compared to 300,000,000, australia's population is pretty small (especially considering that it's got such a large landmass compared to other countries.

And preowned games tend to go for $5-10 less here, too. I think that unless it's a few years old, they know they can still get money off of it.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Keepitclean said:
Awwright, bring on May 7. 72000 signatures is a pretty good effort and surely should be enough to get an R18+ rating.
0.4% of the population usually isn't enough for a petition to be considered in most countries. Often you need to get a least a percentage, if not upwards of 5-10.

Still, good start, and some more weeks to go.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Hurraaaay, evil retailer corporations are actually doing something good for once!
I suspect it wasn't completely altruistic. With an R-18+ rating they'll post serious profits from the majority of the population.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
LIBERATON! LIBEERRATTION FOR ALL THE AUSTRALIANS!

Viva la revolution!

Viva la revolution!

Liberación ha llegado!

Yeah. Anyways, they really managed to do great with this. Perhaps the government can't ignore something like this.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
dacendaran said:
mxfox408 said:
Because that's needlessly annoying when you just want to go out and pick up a game.

Also EB had a similar petition a little while back, its not that surprising. I will have to go out to GAME and sign myself some time soon.
Not to mention US versions don't work on Aussie consoles, as far as I'm aware. Why doesn't the world have just the one TV system instead of these NTSC/PAL shenanigans?

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Keepitclean said:
0.4% of the population usually isn't enough for a petition to be considered in most countries. Often you need to get a least a percentage, if not upwards of 5-10.

Still, good start, and some more weeks to go.
Considering the amount of people that are directly affected by this it is decent.

IT's not like we can't try again with more signatures later if it fails now.

Primitive George

Apr 10, 2010
When I found out Atkinson had left I almost danced in happiness!

But still, even with him gone it's going to be a long road ahead...

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
Still going to take months or even a year(s) to get this through the proper channels :( But there is hope!

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
I still can't believe it worked. Here I thought petitions just got a bunch of people to put down what they really wanted. Too bad it didn't do the same for Joss Whedon's Firefly.