Australian Rating Petition Gets Amazing Response

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
3nimac said:
Am i the only one who thinks 72,000 is not that much, at least not "amazing"?
As a couple of the others have said Australia's population is relatively small which is a factor. However the reason the number is so significant is that in 2005 an online petition to stop the introduction of what was called "Work Choices" garnered something like 80 000 responses.

Now to put that in perspective, Work Choices was a system proposed by the Liberal Government (our equivalent of the Republicans in the States) which meant that an employee's boss had absolute power. They could fire you because they felt your wage was too high, and then offer your job back at severely reduced pay, or even fire you if they just decided they didn't like you. So a petition about game classification reaching 70 000+ signatures is quite an achievement. It should be stated though that Work Choices still came in to power, but was rolled back when Labour was elected in 2007.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Andronicus said:
dls182 said:
3nimac said:
Am i the only one who thinks 72,000 is not that much, at least not "amazing"?

Still, i hope whoever's in charge takes notice.
It's worth noting that Australia does have a pretty small population, and GAME is probably one of the least frequented game stores we have (based on what I've seen...). So it's a pretty good result, all things considered
20,000,000+ population is small, even relatively-speaking? o_O
21 million is pretty small. The fact that 72,000 people bothered to take part in this is significant.
As mentioned above, the Work Choices survey didn't have that many more responses, and that effected far more of the population.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
dls182 said:
21 million is pretty small. The fact that 72,000 people bothered to take part in this is significant.
As mentioned above, the Work Choices survey didn't have that many more responses, and that effected far more of the population.
Finally another Australian who knows what he talks about!

It's also a lot worse for Australia's population than one would think. Most of our citizens are over 40, and a very large portion of those people are above 50.

This means that there are very few people who are even of the average age that most gamers are (average age is the mid-twenties, but of coarse that's only the average), even then compared to most countries Australia has one of the lowest percentage of people who own/play console/computer games in western world. So there's obviously not too many people who are going to be able to sign the petition, let alone know about it.

Let's also add to the issue that GAME is one of the multiple games retailers that have chains in Australia. EB is one of the major competitors in Australia, so is Game Traders, not to mention other smaller chains and one-off family stores, though GAME is holds a decent portion, but is no means leading (despite offering the best deals, seriously, here in Australia EB often gives $15 for a game traded in if it's new release, perfect condition and a popular, whereas GAME gives a good $60 or $70 for the same games, plus bonuses for trading multiple games and new games trade in for even more again against other new games, they're willing to extend the 7 day no-questions game return for out of town-ers like myself, new games in Australia have a RRP of $110, and even with inflation that's a sickening issue, many issues like taxes and inflation issues, I won't go into it here), so they've lost a lot of potential signers due to all those other retailers, adding to that issue is the fact that a lot of people purchase games over the internet now to save money, not to mention great programs like STEAM. Let's also consider how many people completely ignore petitions or aren't aware of them despite being public knowledge. A good example again is Work Choices which was added in by our former government, it caused outrage across all of Australia, except for some very rare jobs which were able to benefit from the change, employers as well. That petition had 80,000 responses, barely more than the GAME petition. This issue was one of the driving forces for having our former Government voted out by a landslide. Our new Booger-Eating leader (it's most likely on youtube now, him sitting in the UN conference, picking his nose and eating it before the world, thinking no one was looking) may be quite terrible as well, but at least he removed the damned issue.

All things considered, 72,000 signatures is unbelievable in Australia, and considering the subject and the affected population our Government will be forced to pay attention (and we already had a lot of R18+ support to begin with, just a few dipshits like Atkinson)!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
dacendaran said:
mxfox408 said:
How come you couldnt just buy us versions from online like ebay or amazon.
Because that's needlessly annoying when you just want to go out and pick up a game.

Also EB had a similar petition a little while back, its not that surprising. I will have to go out to GAME and sign myself some time soon.
Not to mention US versions don't work on Aussie consoles, as far as I'm aware. Why doesn't the world have just the one TV system instead of these NTSC/PAL shenanigans?
Region coding is to stop people importing games ahead of release. It's the same reason why DVDs are coded for certain reasons. It's a bullshit system since most people pirate movies before they're released anyway.